Waking vs getting out of bed and M1

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

My internal alarm clock seems to be set for 4:30 AM these days.  I have to wake up at 4:45 - 5 for work so this is fine.  Except I only work 3 days a week... so its sort of a bummer the other 4 days :)  Since M1 has always been my trouble point I'm working very hard to eat within 1 hr.  But, say today, I woke up at 4:45 - I read for a while hoping to fall back to sleep, but didn't.  I got out of bed at 5:45 or so.  I didn't eat until 6:30.  I know this seems like such a silly little point but I think part of the reason I couldn't fall back to sleep was I was worried about the "waking to M1" time!

So, on weekends/days off... whatever - when you feel like lying in bed and reading or, you know, some other activity, I don't really need to keep an eye on the clock - do I?  Is the 1 hr recommendation more like an hour from "rising"?

• Moderators

I've got more questions. When do you go to bed? Are you falling asleep promptly and staying asleep soundly through the night? How many hours of sleep are you getting?

Part of why we want you to eat within one hour of waking in the morning is to help you get to sleep promptly at night. Yes, preparation for bedtime starts at breakfast. 

It is fine to try to fall back asleep rather than get up and eat meal one. It might be a mistake to simply lounge in bed because you did not feel hungry yet. 

I get up at 7 AM every day. On Saturdays, I don't always need to be up at 7. My routine on those days is to eat breakfast and then go back to bed. Sometimes I sleep to 11 AM that way. :)

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Sleep time varies with work (since I get home at 8 PM).  If I'm off and we eat dinner around 6 or so, I'm often asleep by 8-8:30, 9 at the latest.  I fall asleep very easily and feel like my best sleep is in the immediate hours after falling asleep (I don't ever seem to wake up in the first few hours of sleep, and for what it is worth, my Misfit always shows my best sleep quality from falling asleep until midnight or so).  If I work I'm trying to be better about just coming home and heading up to bed with a book and not getting on line or anything.  My success with this varies.  But I'm usually asleep by 10.  I'd say I average 7-8 on nights I work and 8-9 days I don't.  

I do wake up at night sometimes, usually I fall instantly back to sleep.  But I have a husband that snores (but not on the W30... this is going to be a fight when his W30 is over :) ) and 2 dogs that sometimes decide 3 AM is when they'd like attention.  We sleep with our bedroom door closed but we have hardwood floors - so when they are feeling needy we hear them.  We have good blackout curtains and the room stays quite dark even when it is a bright day.  I take magnesium before bed each night.  My sleep quality (per my Misfit) has really improved in the last 25 days (W15, derail, back for 10 now).  My quality sleep time has literally doubled - and it is consistent - I've gone from 1-2 hrs of deep sleep to 4+ a night.  I have no idea what to think of those data or their accuracy though.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with waking up at 4:30 to 5 am.  It used to be 6-7 before Whole 30 but now... I am going to bed at 10:30 to 11 so I should sleep longer to get enough sleep but I can't despite doing all the sleep protocols.  There is no noise or light in the bedroom, comfy bed, cool temps, no electronics, etc.  I end up thinking about what food I am going to make the next day!  Or other superfluous things.  I hear about other people sleeping better but my sleep is significantly worse.

Hi Kathryn - Where abouts are you in you whole 30?

It is possible, if you are in the beginning or within the first 2 weeks of starting your whole 30 that your sleep is disrupted as your hormones adjust.

However it might help if you post a couple of days worth of meals for us to take a look at - you might benefit from adding a more fat and a starchy veg to your final meal of the day.

I am on day 21 and sleep is finally starting to come.  Still waking up very early but going to sleep earlier too.  Slept from 10 to 5 am and then light sleep for an hour.  I have added fat and starch to the evening meal, lots of squash and mayo and avocado.  Still need a few olives or nuts before I go to bed though to make it through the night but I am less hungry during the night than I was.  Not very nauseous this morning, perhaps I am over that.

Archived