Finally able to post

violetta

It took 15 days to fix the validation error on my account and now I am finally able to post.  I started on November 30, took a day to get it right so I am calling it Dec. 1.  I have had lots of energy but lots of stomach pain and nausea.  I am used to eating every few hours and through the night to help ease my acid reflux (didn't work).  I already ate no sugar and few grains so the actual food was not a problem except for maybe cream in my coffee.  I have lost about 10 pounds already, I think, judging from my clothes.

• Moderators

Stomach pain and nausea are not really symptoms associated with Whole30... if you want, do you want to give us an outline of what you've been eating (portion sizes, timing) and we can see if there's anything that stands out?  Maybe we can spot something that will help with the reflux as well.

Are you prone to stomach pain and nausea in general?

Acid reflux is often caused by NOT ENOUGH acid in the stomach, rather than TOO MUCH as many people believe, meaning the stomach has to work extra hard pumping the acid around often causing a back flow.

Try a spoonful of apple cider vinegar, followed by a glass of water, aftter each meal & see if that helps.

And yep, please do as Sugarcube has said and give us a run down of your typical meals so far - we don't or expect you to be in pain....

Today, Meal 1-3eggs, spinach, mushrooms, avocado and eggplant in it, pepper bruschetta on top with 1/2 sweet potato, 

Meal 2-chicken soup with sweet potato, carrots, peppers, zukes, onions, coconut oil, with some more avocado.

Meal 3-planning a salad with leftover turkey, avocado, veggies, sunflower seeds with oil and vinegar and also some sauted broccoli and peppers with sun sauce

I am mostly nauseous in the morning before eating.  Food usually helps.  But I am mostly never hungry, just eat when my stomach starts to hurt.

• Moderators

Hi;

Sorry, so can I clarify, the food makes your stomach STOP hurting... it's not that it hurts after you eat? Could the 'pain' actually be hunger that you're not recognizing?

You've got four hours between meal 1 and 2 and then 6-7 hours between meal 2 and 3.  We want your meals to last about 4-5 hours... do you find this stomach pain and nausea to be worse the longer you go without eating?  Any more details you can provide would be helpful... have you seen a doctor about this, in the event it's not food related?

Depending, you may want to consider limiting the higher FODMAP foods in your diet... they're highlighted in red below and the Low Fodmap grocery list is linked here as well.

Meal 1-3eggs, spinach, mushrooms, avocado and eggplant in it, pepper bruschetta on top with 1/2 sweet potato, 

Meal 2-chicken soup with sweet potato, carrots, peppers, zukes, onions, coconut oil, with some more avocado.

Meal 3-planning a salad with leftover turkey, avocado, veggies, sunflower seeds(limit) with oil and vinegar and also some sauted broccoli and peppers with sun sauce

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-FODMAP.pdf

Sigh, that would leave little to eat that I like, I could sub olives for avocado and stop onions and broccoli.  Yes, I have seen many doctors, acid reflux, and it is truly highly acidic stomach.  So the nighttime is rough, not getting something to put in my stomach for many hours.  Even though ultimately, my stomach is worse from eating and then lying down.  Maybe I just need four smaller meals.  And yes, the nausea is in the morning after I sit down with my green tea, which used to have lots of milk in it but doesn't now. So maybe it is the tea, I switched from coffee because I couldn't stand it black.  Maybe I need to go herbal.

Wakening up naseous & with no appetite in the morning is indicative that your hormones are out of whack, and eating meal one within an hour of wakening will really help in gettings things back in line.

Four smaller, evenly spaced out meals may be better for you initially - so long as each of them are built to match the recommended meal template. Or, you could add in one mini meal at some point (just like a normal meal except smaller), or a snack made up of at least two of the three food groups - preferably protein & fat.

I agree with Sugarcube - you are eating A LOT of high FODMAP food - sweet potatoes can also be added to what Sugarcube has highlighted - I'd definitely dial back on those for a few days & see if things improve - I know if I ate that many high FODMAP foods I'd not only feel nauseous I'd also look about 6mths pregnant. Add in veg like zucchini, kale, white potato, parsnip, turnip, cucumber, etc as substitutes. Take a look at >this infographic< (about half way down the page) with a really good guide to FODMAPs and how often/or not those sensitive to them should eat them - I'd advise eating off of the green section (avoiding anything non compliant obviously!) at least until you start to feel better.....

Maybe try a ginger tea, and if you think that acidic foods are causing you problems then skip the vinegar altogether...

What are your stress levels like? Are you sleeping well? How active are you? How much water are you drinking daily?

Tea on an empty stomach causes nausea for me. I think ive read it's the tannins. You mentioned being nauseous in the morning after drinking tea, is there any food in your stomach at that time?

In addition to stress and fodmaps, I found that eating too quickly or swallowing air can cause nausea and reflux for me. Just a few more things to keep in mind.

I have less nausea now but still not at all enthusiastic about my morning meal.  Cut out the avocado and sweet potato.  I am eating more starches (squash mostly) at the evening meal so I am not hungry but still I am not sleeping well, waking up at 4:30 or 5 and despite lots of relaxation and breathing, I just am too wide awake to go back to sleep so I am only getting 5-6 hours of sleep.  Did everything with banning electronics and light in the bedroom, have a good temperature and a comfy bed but I wake up every two hours and the last wake up at 5 is the end of sleep.  I feel pretty good during the day but wish I could sleep better and feel better in the morning.

• Moderators

I have less nausea now but still not at all enthusiastic about my morning meal.  Cut out the avocado and sweet potato.  I am eating more starches (squash mostly) at the evening meal so I am not hungry but still I am not sleeping well, waking up at 4:30 or 5 and despite lots of relaxation and breathing, I just am too wide awake to go back to sleep so I am only getting 5-6 hours of sleep.  Did everything with banning electronics and light in the bedroom, have a good temperature and a comfy bed but I wake up every two hours and the last wake up at 5 is the end of sleep.  I feel pretty good during the day but wish I could sleep better and feel better in the morning.

Maybe if your natural wakeup time right now is 4/5 and you need to get more sleep you need to see if you can go to bed earlier?  Sleep is definitely something that should be prioritized so maybe the things you normally do at night can be moved to 5am (sounds weird, I know!) so that you can facilitate the extra sleep?

I could never go to bed earlier than about 11 without being wide awake for a while but was able to get to sleep at 10 last night without any trouble, still not enough, though.  I think I used to put myself back to sleep with food, cereal mostly so I have to develop new habits.  But it is kind of getting in the way of tigers blood to get 6 hours or less of sleep.  I have been taking little cat naps during the day 10-20 minutes when I get too sleepy. I feel dizzy and a little headachey most of the time, trying to up my water today and see if that helps. And yes, I take magnesium, as much as my stomach can stand which isn't much.

• Moderators

I could never go to bed earlier than about 11 without being wide awake for a while but was able to get to sleep at 10 last night without any trouble, still not enough, though.  I think I used to put myself back to sleep with food, cereal mostly so I have to develop new habits.  But it is kind of getting in the way of tigers blood to get 6 hours or less of sleep.  I have been taking little cat naps during the day 10-20 minutes when I get too sleepy. I feel dizzy and a little headachey most of the time, trying to up my water today and see if that helps. And yes, I take magnesium, as much as my stomach can stand which isn't much.

My suggestion would be to skip the naps and power through so you're really sleepy and then go to bed earlier... The first couple days might suck but it sounds like you want to change your sleep routine and naps definitely don't help with that!

Archived