Counting Macros

jmcip

• Moderators

The Whole30 vehemently opposes counting macros.

We want you to eat whole foods to the template quantities (linked below) and listen to what your body is saying.  The micromanaging of your intake that counting calories or macros necessitates is miles from the heart of Whole30 which is to learn how to listen to your body.  For instance, a woman in the week before her period may hear her body telling her to up her starchy carb intake and she should... because she's listening to her body and doing what it asks.  It can be hard to hear your body at first and understand the signals that it's telling you but counting calories or macros is not going to help you learn what your body is telling you.

Side note, I know you didn't mention anything about calories, but for people coming along later and reading this, I just wanted to make sure that people understand that counting of any sort is really frowned upon.

SugarcubeOD gave you a good overview of the Whole30stance.

I'm here to also give my $0.02 as someone who did IIFYM (counting macros) for ~10 months.  Just don't do it.  It doesn't really teach you anything and it's not a long-term, sustainable approach.  (The thing of value that I DID learn was to stop labeling foods as "good" or "bad" or "clean" or "not-clean" and that you CAN have a cookie and you don't need to have six, and still get good results.  All good stuff.  I had to hang on to those good lessons while erasing all of the "bad" with the Whole30, as IIFYM had me eating things I didn't feel like, or eating when I wasn't hungry, or, more often, NOT eating when my body was STARVING).

Hope that helps!

-Lauren (GGG)

P.S. - I always thought of CrossFit as being more closely aligned with Paleo/primal eating movement, not IIFYM/flexible dieting?  You know, eating the way we were "designed" to eat, and moving the way we were "designed" to move?

Thank you guys. For some reason I didn't equate calories with macros it's so obvious I don't know why. @goldengrahamgirl yes a lot of my gym does paleo but a large amount of the lifters we have several who lift competitively do macros.

The Whole30 vehemently opposes counting macros.

We want you to eat whole foods to the template quantities (linked below) and listen to what your body is saying.  The micromanaging of your intake that counting calories or macros necessitates is miles from the heart of Whole30 which is to learn how to listen to your body.  For instance, a woman in the week before her period may hear her body telling her to up her starchy carb intake and she should... because she's listening to her body and doing what it asks.  It can be hard to hear your body at first and understand the signals that it's telling you but counting calories or macros is not going to help you learn what your body is telling you.

Side note, I know you didn't mention anything about calories, but for people coming along later and reading this, I just wanted to make sure that people understand that counting of any sort is really frowned upon.

Congratulations.  Kudos to you...your promotion.  Bravo!

Archived