Hi all,

Signing in to announce my 4th attempt at a Whole30.

Height: 6'1.5"

Ailments: UC/UP/IBD, gout and other joint pain, insulin resistance, low energy levels, insomnia, among others. I'm taking at least 15 pills and vitamins a day.

Pre-W30 Achievements: Sober from alcohol since 10/16/15, sober from coffee since 11/16/15. Last dragon to kill is the sugar dragon. Uric acid down to 6.6 from 9.6 mg/dL (was 12.0 right before kidney stone, needs to be below 6 for gout sufferers) from doc-supervised medication. less joint pain means cardio is easier -- but I need to manage sugar/fructose intake or gout-related joint pain will return.

I will post my measurement stats on January 3 when the W30 starts. Another reason that this W30 should work is that I now know how to cook for myself well, and I bought a zucchini spiralizer which should help me chop vegetables quickly and create easy sautes.

I will have to do the AIP to get rid of IBD/gout, but I can do it. I have the tools to cook for myself, exercise without pain, and manage the rest of my life. The proof will be in the pudding. Here's to abs in 2016 and starting that journey off with a W30.

Below, you'll also find my break up letter with sugar, which I realized I had to break up with today. It's tough but I hope you'll see where I'm coming from (and laugh a little too).

MG5

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sugar,

Hello. It's me. Just kidding, I know you know I'm writing. We've had a long, 27 year relationship, but in the past 5 years, things have been on the rocks. I read Marks Daily Apple, It Starts With Food, and the Whole30 website. Things grew apart. I realized what you were doing to me. How you were consistently sabotaging me, causing insidious fat gain, slowing my metabolism, and causing a whole host of other inflammatory issues such as IBD and gout. Our relationship has become toxic, I've realized. I rely on you for emotional support, but all you do is try to hurt me. You can't be nice. You just get downright ugly and I'm g-d damn tired of it. It's a new year now -- it's 2016, and I've found a new boyfriend. Actually I have several. I've got Boundless Energy, Satiety, Health, and also Nice Jewish Boy. They give me what I need to be happy. After watching "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on Youtube, Dr. Robert Lustig made me realize that you were actually poisoning me. I know that might not be your intent, but the way you end up impacting me somehow ends up poisonous.

I'm sure we'll be able to see each other again and be cordial, at times when we meet at Fruit or Sweet Potato's houses, but other than that, I am done with you. It's over. I have a life to live, things to do, people to help and impact, and lives to change. And you clearly have shown a reckless disregard for my body and my personal interests. So it's over, sugar. It's over. I'm sure you'll find some other great men or women to date. We've had a good ride. There were some great laughs, parties, and food comas. But for now, I think that era has passed, and I've gotta dump you as I enter 2016.

Don't take this too hard. I'm sure you'll find someone else. But not me.

MG5

Love you letter. You will slay the sugar dragon in 2016 and feel so much better in 30 days. For some of us, I have rheumatoid arthritis and celiac disease, it can take longer than 30 days to get the best results. I did a whole60 before and this time I'm in for a whole90. I let sugar creep back in with his lies that a little won't hurt so need to get that out for good this time. Looking forward to more posts from you and good luck with your Whole30.

• Moderators

Awesome breakup letter!

Just a note, I noticed that you posted the first part of this post 4 days ago under another heading. Please choose only one of these topics to update, should you choose to update so that you're not crossposting/duplicate posting.

Hi all,

Signing in to announce my 4th attempt at a Whole30.

Height: 6'1.5"

Ailments: UC/UP/IBD, gout and other joint pain, insulin resistance, low energy levels, insomnia, among others. I'm taking at least 15 pills and vitamins a day.

Pre-W30 Achievements: Sober from alcohol since 10/16/15, sober from coffee since 11/16/15. Last dragon to kill is the sugar dragon. Uric acid down to 6.6 from 9.6 mg/dL (was 12.0 right before kidney stone, needs to be below 6 for gout sufferers) from doc-supervised medication. less joint pain means cardio is easier -- but I need to manage sugar/fructose intake or gout-related joint pain will return.

I will post my measurement stats on January 3 when the W30 starts. Another reason that this W30 should work is that I now know how to cook for myself well, and I bought a zucchini spiralizer which should help me chop vegetables quickly and create easy sautes.

I will have to do the AIP to get rid of IBD/gout, but I can do it. I have the tools to cook for myself, exercise without pain, and manage the rest of my life. The proof will be in the pudding. Here's to abs in 2016 and starting that journey off with a W30.

Below, you'll also find my break up letter with sugar, which I realized I had to break up with today. It's tough but I hope you'll see where I'm coming from (and laugh a little too).

MG5

--------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sugar,

Hello. It's me. Just kidding, I know you know I'm writing. We've had a long, 27 year relationship, but in the past 5 years, things have been on the rocks. I read Marks Daily Apple, It Starts With Food, and the Whole30 website. Things grew apart. I realized what you were doing to me. How you were consistently sabotaging me, causing insidious fat gain, slowing my metabolism, and causing a whole host of other inflammatory issues such as IBD and gout. Our relationship has become toxic, I've realized. I rely on you for emotional support, but all you do is try to hurt me. You can't be nice. You just get downright ugly and I'm g-d damn tired of it. It's a new year now -- it's 2016, and I've found a new boyfriend. Actually I have several. I've got Boundless Energy, Satiety, Health, and also Nice Jewish Boy. They give me what I need to be happy. After watching "Sugar: The Bitter Truth" on Youtube, Dr. Robert Lustig made me realize that you were actually poisoning me. I know that might not be your intent, but the way you end up impacting me somehow ends up poisonous.

I'm sure we'll be able to see each other again and be cordial, at times when we meet at Fruit or Sweet Potato's houses, but other than that, I am done with you. It's over. I have a life to live, things to do, people to help and impact, and lives to change. And you clearly have shown a reckless disregard for my body and my personal interests. So it's over, sugar. It's over. I'm sure you'll find some other great men or women to date. We've had a good ride. There were some great laughs, parties, and food comas. But for now, I think that era has passed, and I've gotta dump you as I enter 2016.

Don't take this too hard. I'm sure you'll find someone else. But not me.

MG5

Hey muscles! :) We are a big group of January starters on this thread if you'd like to join us! We all hate sugar, too. http://forum.whole30.com/topic/32776-calling-all-january-1st-whole30ers/

Awesome breakup letter!

Just a note, I noticed that you posted the first part of this post 4 days ago under another heading. Please choose only one of these topics to update, should you choose to update so that you're not crossposting/duplicate posting.

SugarcubeOD -- did you combine all of my past threads into 1 thread? I was only planning to update this one anyway haha. It's fine though.

• Moderators

SugarcubeOD -- did you combine all of my past threads into 1 thread? I was only planning to update this one anyway haha. It's fine though.

Nope, I didn't but someone else on our team did. It keeps the boards cleaner and easier to follow! Enjoy your journey!

Weighed in this morning to start at 239.3lbs, 73.2 lbs of fat and 166.1 lbs of lean mass. Aiming for 16 lbs of fat and 184 lbs of muscle long term. Let's see where this Whole30 gets me. I know that breaking up with sugar and using protein, veggies, and healthy fats will help me make the right kind of progress in the gym. Very excited to see what happens.

On day 7. I am grateful and gracious for making it through every day. It's a challenge but I'm doing really well and extremely proud of myself. Being very truthful there. I'm blessed to have the perspective and the ability to treat myself right like I am now!

List of non-scale victories thus far:
Better bowels

Plaque on teeth magically improved drastically

Less dental inflammation

Less bloat

Able to sleep better

More energy

Better attitude / more focus

Learning how to cook

Pants have felt looser at times

Gout pain hasn't really come back despite eating so much meat I can't even lol

Archived