Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

What is langostino? I keep thinking it's shrimp - which I think are called langoustine in some parts of the world. It could be almost anything and this would still sound delicious. It is hard to imagine being at the mercy of a craving when you're not actually experiencing a craving. Glad for you. You sound like you're in a great place on day 24.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

hey folks...day 24. already! anyway...i avoided the pork breakfast. i did the TJs wild mushrooms and grilled asparagus again, heated those up in the cast-iron skillet then cooked a deliciously crispy fried egg in the juices and also sauteed some more langostino in it, put the egg on the veggies and the langostino on the egg and dosed it with lemon pepper (i love lemon pepper) and had fresh mango on the side. omg. i thought i died and went to heaven. will definitely make that over and over! tonight will be sea scallops and a lemon spinach recipe i think from nomnompaleo. tomorrow it's going to rain rain rain so i'll make the sweet potato soup tomorrow. this afternoon i was kinda feeling like it would be nice to munch on something forbidden. it wasn't a craving. it was just a thought. interesting that those thoughts have been completely absent, and now that i'm so close to done a little one popped in the old noggin!

What do you use for lemon pepper? My husband loves it but the only ones I can find here are filled with nasty stuff. I was thinking of making it for him but if you have a brand recommendation, I might see if I can get that here!

What do you use for lemon pepper? My husband loves it but the only ones I can find here are filled with nasty stuff. I was thinking of making it for him but if you have a brand recommendation, I might see if I can get that here!

i love it too. i have one from safeway that has the nasty stuff in it and i was crushed when i saw that b/c i use it on EVERYTHING!!!! i found some at trader joe's -- the Trader Joe's brand -- and here's what it has in it: black peppercorns, sea salt, onion, lemon rind, garlic, lemon oil, citric acid. and omg it is DELICIOUS. i'll never go back to the kind with the icky stuff in it. this stuff rocks.

What is langostino? I keep thinking it's shrimp - which I think are called langoustine in some parts of the world. It could be almost anything and this would still sound delicious. It is hard to imagine being at the mercy of a craving when you're not actually experiencing a craving. Glad for you. You sound like you're in a great place on day 24.

yeah i think it is shrimp, but they're quite little, maybe the size of the second digit of your thumb, and they are super sweet. that whole combo was just amazing. and so quick and easy to do. i'm laughing at "being at the mercy of a craving when you're not actually experiencing a craving" -- that's exactly what it was :). i've taken six months off wine every year for the past three or for years...and that's what my cravings would be like then too...just a "oh wouldn't it be nice to have a glass of wine." and i'd have to tell myself "yes it would but we're not doing that right now." and that would pretty much be the end of it. because i'd made up my mind. same with sugar. it's when i've decided to just let myself have whatever i want that the little thoughts lead to the little indulgence which can lead to great big nasty indulgences ;) 

yeah i think it is shrimp, but they're quite little, maybe the size of the second digit of your thumb, and they are super sweet. that whole combo was just amazing. and so quick and easy to do. i'm laughing at "being at the mercy of a craving when you're not actually experiencing a craving" -- that's exactly what it was :). i've taken six months off wine every year for the past three or for years...and that's what my cravings would be like then too...just a "oh wouldn't it be nice to have a glass of wine." and i'd have to tell myself "yes it would but we're not doing that right now." and that would pretty much be the end of it. because i'd made up my mind. same with sugar. it's when i've decided to just let myself have whatever i want that the little thoughts lead to the little indulgence which can lead to great big nasty indulgences ;)

I was curious and googled both names and found that a langostino is a "squat lobster" and a langoustine is a "shrimpy-looking crustacean in the lobster family." So - more lobster than shrimp I guess. I want to try either/both but I wonder if they're farmed. Back to google.

I was curious and googled both names and found that a langostino is a "squat lobster" and a langoustine is a "shrimpy-looking crustacean in the lobster family." So - more lobster than shrimp I guess. I want to try either/both but I wonder if they're farmed. Back to google.

that explains the taste then...it does taste like lobster. i didn't realize it until you said it. the package doesn't say whether it's farmed or wild. and it says "langostino TAILS" which explains why they are so small. duh. learn something every day ;)

Does anybody else meditate? It's clear to me that eating this way helps me a lot, but I have some issues around eating that are better addressed in another way. Basically, I need to break the habit of dealing with boredom, frustration, disappointment, etc.. with food. Not so rare, I know.

Stegner, I am struggling with this, too. I am doing great with the nutrition part, but the developing healthy habits to deal with stress (boredom, frustration, etc) is a house of cards for me. If I don't structure my day "just so" then I end up working too much and ....let's just say I have not been sleeping well at all! I am going to stick with this and do the Whole 9 so I can figure it out. Meditation...I try. But not till night when my mind is restless. I am ordering some natural calm and an eyeshade for support.

am tapering the nightshades. damn. I love tomatoes and eggplant and peppers.  I LOVE eggs. not giving up on these totally but am going to see if this improves things. if not, will consider strict AIP

I just don't get the headaches. It's like I have sinusitis, but I took sinus films and they were negative. will start with tylenol and see if I can break the cycle. 

am planning on going for a whole 60 to give this experiment a better chance to work. 

went to the Well Fed website yesterday and got more inspiration. I'm very grateful to her and Michelle Tam. these ladies rock!

hands a little less swollen today. feet aching because I walked 5 miles yesterday. pilates today-I usually feel better afterwards but the former Russian ballerina is teaching today and she can be, shall we say, demanding...

thanks for the responses. will stay the course and see where we end up!

Hi, I had something similar once and it was an issue in my eye! Have you been to an opthamologist? Not optometrist, the serious eye doctor. highly recommend it. I had a viral lesion in my eye, which stemmed from childhood chicken pox. It can take your sight, and doctors can miss it. I had the same symptoms and they were scary! Good luck.

Hi everyone, I'll be 51 in March. My first W30 was in September 2012 (cut short by my brother's wedding out of town). I've since done a few "modified" W30s, but this round is my cleanest attempt (I know I made a few mistakes, even this time, but they were honest mistakes).

Coffee has been a huge addiction for me my entire adult life, and I've started every prior W30 with giving up coffee, which gave me horrible detox symptoms. But I gave up coffee 7 months ago as part of a planned 2-year "coffee break", and not going through that withdrawal experience this time has made this W30 a breeze. Really, so much different.

This round of W30 started Jan 2, so I'll be done on Jan 31 and celebrate on Feb 1 by stepping on the scale.

I'm really focused now on a systematic reintro. I already know that oatmeal, rice and most legumes will never be on my menu again, but other foods I'm not sure about. I will start with green peas, then corn, and after that possibly cheese, which I miss in my omelets. Those are the only things I can think of right now that would help round out my food choices.

My kids are still young. W30 has changed us from a restaurant family, eating out several times a week, to a home cooking family eating out only for Sunday brunch. The kids eat a regular diet, but they naturally benefit from all the whole foods we are eating at home, too.

I miss wine, but can generally take it or leave t, so may just take the opportunity of Lent to postpone wine until Easter Sunday.

I love reading all the encouragement among you ladies and look forward to celebrating your successes with you.

Stegner, I am struggling with this, too. I am doing great with the nutrition part, but the developing healthy habits to deal with stress (boredom, frustration, etc) is a house of cards for me. If I don't structure my day "just so" then I end up working too much and ....let's just say I have not been sleeping well at all! I am going to stick with this and do the Whole 9 so I can figure it out. Meditation...I try. But not till night when my mind is restless. I am ordering some natural calm and an eyeshade for support.

I once wrote down every thought I could remember right after eating a pint of ice cream compulsively, knowing full well that I'd regret it. They were strange and surprising, childish and illogical, like they came from my reptilian brain. Honestly I think that's where they do come from and it's helpful for me to remember that. I wish you a great night's sleep, Melimuse.

Hello Everyone - I wish I had seen this forum earlier in my start of Whole30.  I started on January 8th, but caved about 18 days into the program to a piece of cake at a party.  I determined it was best to start over because my behavior around eating the cake - I felt like I had to sneak it and that just isn't good.  So I am now on Day 5!  Yay for me!  But I am actually feeling the benefits of being on the Whole 30 lifestytle for over 20 days really.  I have not had a drop of alcohol since Jan 8 and that is good for me.  I like having a glass of wine at the end of the day - so I'm changing habits; and sugar had me pretty bad off, and chips, cheese, oh well you name it - I exercise pretty regular, but I need to get my nutrition down.

I'm 53; 54 in July.

Also - We are headed up to a cabin weekend tomorrow.  I am planning ahead with all the food I can eat.  There will be two families; with kids.  I plan to make a big pot of whole30 chili.  I can eat that.  And also tuna, almond butter, spag squash, coffee.  I just need to avoid the other foods and stay strong.

I will post more as I can and read the other posters so I can get to know everyone.

Thanks!

Betsy

Hiya Ladies :)

​Betsy you are definitely not alone  :) I started Whole30 about 18 days ago and I was so proud of myself as I had went to my cousins baby shower and had packed up my yummy lunch of diced butter nut squash chicken and kale with coconut aminos, pineapple and coconut water.  I waited till everyone went to serve their plates and then I slipped out my food and placed it on the baby shower plates and no one noticed, except my immediate family sitting at the table who all said "Yummy can I have a bite lol" I was very proud of myself that day. 

A few days later a coworker handed me a half of her subway sandwich, and I did not want to offend her as I always share my lunch with her, being a RN in a NICU we share a lot of meals together over the last 30 years lol. I totally caved!!! I have been struggling without my coffee I used to drink with tons of creamer (the yummy one lol).  So I decided I needed to start over :(

I went ahead and weighed myself (I do not know if thats whole30 legal lol) and lost 11 pounds in those 17 or 18 days. 

​I recommitted myself and am on day 1 today.... I need to learn to be truthful to myself and not cheat myself out of all the greatness that lies ahead of us :)

At one time in my life, I ballooned up to 400 pounds (15 years ago) and have since lost 200 pounds.  I regained about 50 in the last 5 years and went back on CPAP for sleep apnea so that is the reason I have chosen to improve my overall health.

• Moderators

I forgot to mention in my post that I have been eating some dairy, yogurt and cheese, and thought I was okay with it, but noticed last night that the rash on my neck is coming back. I'm going to eliminate it for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

Are you all done your Whole30?  We recommend that talks of reintroductions (if that's what you're doing) are done in the After Whole30 section of the boards so as not to confuse anyone new that comes along... 

You can be the thread starter for your group to move over to reintros... start a thread and then post the link here.  If you want me to make you guys a thread, let me know, I can do that too!

Woo for being almost done (or done!)

Are you all done your Whole30?  We recommend that talks of reintroductions (if that's what you're doing) are done in the After Whole30 section of the boards so as not to confuse anyone new that comes along... 

You can be the thread starter for your group to move over to reintros... start a thread and then post the link here.  If you want me to make you guys a thread, let me know, I can do that too!

Woo for being almost done (or done!)

Yes, I finished my W30 in the fall. I don't think there are enough people in the reintro phase right now to make for a lively thread - but there will be soon. Thanks for your help.

• Moderators

Yes, I finished my W30 in the fall. I don't think there are enough people in the reintro phase right now to make for a lively thread - but there will be soon. Thanks for your help.

Hi!  Okay great, just checking!

I'm sure most of you guys will move over to the re-intro and carry on a great discussion there as well!

Hi all, I've been looking for this exact group because I was sure 50+ers had unique challenges.  I'm 57 and on Day 13.  Have tons of energy but I am definitely sleeping more - maybe not a bad thing.  

I am doing this for my skin.  I developed rosacea when I turned 56 and have been struggling with it since.  What the heck is that about?  Good skin my whole darn life.  I think the main thing about it is that it is on my face - people used to comment on my skin and now I have this and wrinkles.  

My skin is already a little bit better, hopefully by Day 30 I can say all cleared up.   

What are the unique challenges for our group?  Do the good effects (Tiger Blood) take longer to come into effect?  

Hi all, I've been looking for this exact group because I was sure 50+ers had unique challenges.  I'm 57 and on Day 13.  Have tons of energy but I am definitely sleeping more - maybe not a bad thing.  

I am doing this for my skin.  I developed rosacea when I turned 56 and have been struggling with it since.  What the heck is that about?  Good skin my whole darn life.  I think the main thing about it is that it is on my face - people used to comment on my skin and now I have this and wrinkles.  

My skin is already a little bit better, hopefully by Day 30 I can say all cleared up.   

What are the unique challenges for our group?  Do the good effects (Tiger Blood) take longer to come into effect?

Welcome! I believe there are unique challenges for our group, but I'm not sure what they are, sorry. One thing that works in our favor is that we are good at getting and giving support from others. I never had rosacea but my skin really improves when I eat this way - every once in a while, I notice that some little bump that I've had on my face for ages has disappeared. Good Luck to you.

hi dee! i'm with stegner re the unique challenges and the mutual support. not sure what the challenges are, but i will say that i have not experienced Tiger Blood at all. i also haven't experienced much of the early discomfort etc that the book suggests will happen. no cravings. no desire to veer off the program and indulge. absolutely zero feelings of deprivation. a little crankiness here and there for a day or so but that is not unusual for me so i wouldn't attribute it to the diet. i had a bunch of mini-strokes a couple of weekends ago and had to be hospitalized overnight for tests and am now on a bunch of medications, so maybe that's why i'm not experiencing a huge surge in energy or a feeling of invincibility...my body is adjusting to two in particular that make you drowsy...but i also think the whole Tiger Blood metaphor is probably more relevant for people in their 20s and 30s. at this stage of life do we really need to feel invincible? it doesn't even appeal to me. i don't need Tiger Blood. been there. done that. at nearly 65, i'm thrilled to be dropping my extra weight (i have been weighed at doctor's visits and it's all just melting away!) and to be so satisfied and not snacky all day and to have zero cravings for sugar or alcohol and to feel that i've finally gotten a handle on what and how to eat after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting (well...until my fifties anyway!) and to be falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, sleeping through the night (after decades of insomnia) and waking up at 5 in the morning ready for my day. maybe that's one of the unique challenges -- to redefine what Tiger Blood means at this stage of life :) anyway...great question, and glad you found us!

cAEDMON22 - sorry to hear about your mini strokes - and hope you are on your way to recovery.  The whole30 diet can only help you recover - keeping you on track. And I love your description of the Tiger Blood - all those things and more!!   Take care.

I think I was feeling the Tiger Blood- I do have more energy and feel more focused if that what it really is.  My head feels clearer. I'm on day 6 (but having went off at day 18 eating that piece of cake - so really I have almost a months' benefit.

My challenge this weekend is a cabin get away in the snow (Lake Tahoe).  major storm going on so we will be snowbound in the cabin.  I've already been proactive and packed all good food - for me and to share.  The rest of the party is not so focused on food.  There will be the typical snacks, that I used to love to eat: chips, dip, alcohol, snacks - you know it.  So I made a big pot of chili (whole30) we ate last night and I made extra so I can take to the cabin.  This will be a very major challenge. But I told my husband I am determined.

I am just getting the hang of these forums and I think I figured out how to save favorites and just go straight to the forum I am posting in because there are TONS of forums.

I like to stay on one because it's easier (for now at least). 

DEEROBERT - welcome too.  I am also new here.  My skin cleared up after a couple weeks on whole30.  I was getting rashes on my face; little red spots.  That seems to have cleared.  I also notice cellulite on legs seems to be receding, and also on my torso.  I've always been prone to cellulite even when I exercised a lot.  If that is a motivation to stay on whole 30 nothing is!  I'm determined to stay on track and see the results at the end of it.

Major bummer this morning - I had bought a pound of turkey and a pound of roast beef from the deli thinking I could have that at the cabin - but low and behold looking at the label this morning - SUGAR in both of them..... ugh ugh.  I guess that is the lesson of this plan - to look and learn.

Lessons learned:  I'll either have to make my own turkey breast (and know what's in it before cooking)/or roast beef.  and/or definitely purchase them from a meat market that specializes in unprocesses foods.  Fortunately we have a few in this area.

Take care all - we are off to the snow! Betsy

• Moderators

cAEDMON22 - sorry to hear about your mini strokes - and hope you are on your way to recovery.  The whole30 diet can only help you recover - keeping you on track. And I love your description of the Tiger Blood - all those things and more!!   Take care.

I think I was feeling the Tiger Blood- I do have more energy and feel more focused if that what it really is.  My head feels clearer. I'm on day 6 (but having went off at day 18 eating that piece of cake - so really I have almost a months' benefit.

My challenge this weekend is a cabin get away in the snow (Lake Tahoe).  major storm going on so we will be snowbound in the cabin.  I've already been proactive and packed all good food - for me and to share.  The rest of the party is not so focused on food.  There will be the typical snacks, that I used to love to eat: chips, dip, alcohol, snacks - you know it.  So I made a big pot of chili (whole30) we ate last night and I made extra so I can take to the cabin.  This will be a very major challenge. But I told my husband I am determined.

I am just getting the hang of these forums and I think I figured out how to save favorites and just go straight to the forum I am posting in because there are TONS of forums.

I like to stay on one because it's easier (for now at least). 

DEEROBERT - welcome too.  I am also new here.  My skin cleared up after a couple weeks on whole30.  I was getting rashes on my face; little red spots.  That seems to have cleared.  I also notice cellulite on legs seems to be receding, and also on my torso.  I've always been prone to cellulite even when I exercised a lot.  If that is a motivation to stay on whole 30 nothing is!  I'm determined to stay on track and see the results at the end of it.

Major bummer this morning - I had bought a pound of turkey and a pound of roast beef from the deli thinking I could have that at the cabin - but low and behold looking at the label this morning - SUGAR in both of them..... ugh ugh.  I guess that is the lesson of this plan - to look and learn.

Lessons learned:  I'll either have to make my own turkey breast (and know what's in it before cooking)/or roast beef.  and/or definitely purchase them from a meat market that specializes in unprocesses foods.  Fortunately we have a few in this area.

Take care all - we are off to the snow! Betsy

There are very very few commercially available deli meats that are compliant.  We would much rather that you cooked the meat and sliced it up yourself... :)

Have fun in the snow!

Good morning,  I just started two days ago.   I've joined Whole30 group to help my body heal from  all the inflammation that is happening to it.   I have been gluten free for two years already, I noticed my pains did ease up.

One of my passions in life is hiking in the National Parks.  It's been difficult to go out because of my pains.  I have to keep moving I know, and hopefully, the new eating style will help.

I'm 63 and love life outdoors.

hi dee! i'm with stegner re the unique challenges and the mutual support. not sure what the challenges are, but i will say that i have not experienced Tiger Blood at all. i also haven't experienced much of the early discomfort etc that the book suggests will happen. no cravings. no desire to veer off the program and indulge. absolutely zero feelings of deprivation. a little crankiness here and there for a day or so but that is not unusual for me so i wouldn't attribute it to the diet. i had a bunch of mini-strokes a couple of weekends ago and had to be hospitalized overnight for tests and am now on a bunch of medications, so maybe that's why i'm not experiencing a huge surge in energy or a feeling of invincibility...my body is adjusting to two in particular that make you drowsy...but i also think the whole Tiger Blood metaphor is probably more relevant for people in their 20s and 30s. at this stage of life do we really need to feel invincible? it doesn't even appeal to me. i don't need Tiger Blood. been there. done that. at nearly 65, i'm thrilled to be dropping my extra weight (i have been weighed at doctor's visits and it's all just melting away!) and to be so satisfied and not snacky all day and to have zero cravings for sugar or alcohol and to feel that i've finally gotten a handle on what and how to eat after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting (well...until my fifties anyway!) and to be falling asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, sleeping through the night (after decades of insomnia) and waking up at 5 in the morning ready for my day. maybe that's one of the unique challenges -- to redefine what Tiger Blood means at this stage of life :) anyway...great question, and glad you found us!

Thanks Caedmon22, I love all of the things you are thrilled about as I would be more than thrilled if that was the end result as well.  I will admit that I am still Jones-ing for a glass of wine but maybe finding that out is a good thing.  I have never had any sleep problems (I know lucky me, all of my friends do) but I am sleeping deeper for sure.  Yes, I think we do have to redefine what Tiger Blood means at this age.  

I've read the entire thread and you are certainly an inspiration - I'll have to make sure and see what you say about reintroduction.  

I'm so glad I did read the entire thread because I was getting frustrated with the Search capabilities of the Forum search and found out how to solve that and heard about some great recipes.  

Question: is anyone on this thread still on HRT?  My hot flashes are so bad - 10-15 times a day - I'm not sure if this Way of Life will help that or not?  

Off to walk the dog on this very cold but unusually sunny day. 

Good morning,  I just started two days ago.   I've joined Whole30 group to help my body heal from  all the inflammation that is happening to it.   I have been gluten free for two years already, I noticed my pains did ease up.

One of my passions in life is hiking in the National Parks.  It's been difficult to go out because of my pains.  I have to keep moving I know, and hopefully, the new eating style will help.

I'm 63 and love life outdoors.

Welcome, Martha. Of course everybody's different but eating this way helps a lot of people with joint pain. I'm a huge fan of life outdoors myself and hiking in the National Parks is on my list after I retire this spring. Do you backpack? That does not appeal to me as much as day hikes, but I have been told I should get over that.

This thread is really fun to read - great ideas and interesting input. About your hot flashes, Deerobert, they vary so much from woman to woman - I hope the W30 helps. A friend told me that the Native American view of menopause is that it's time for women to work through issues that came up when they were younger- when they were too busy and committed to others to have much of any inner life of their own. The point is to pay close attention to the feelings attached to your hot flashes. Mine brought up fear and anger.

Caedmon, I think another challenge of doing a W30 at this age is that we're such good bakers and it's hard to just put that aside.

Archived