Please tell me I am over thinking this...

So today was my first day back and work and my plan was to get the salad bar and then add in my own Tuna and Avocado.

They have a bunch of grilled veggies everyday but I"ve never asked what they cook them in. I asked the guy today and he said he needed to go in the back to ask the chef. He came out and said they use olive oil and salt/pepper - great. I grabbed a heaving spoonful of the grilled butternut squash but when I got back to my desk to eat it I thought that it tasted sweet -- and now i am freaking that there was some type of sugar in it. 

I actually thought about going back and asking someone else but I am terrified of finding out there actually was something in it. I didn't finish all of it because I freaked out.

Ugh! eating out sucks!

• Moderators

Hmm... Butternut squash in itself is pretty sweet when roasted or grilled... but my suggestion would be to go back and find out.  I say this because if it was just sugar, then that's not the end of the world but if they used a soy product for instance, that's a pretty gut disrupting item and you'd want to seriously consider starting over.

You're not over thinking it at all.  Eating out is very difficult because of not having control but it also underlines just how much stuff has sugar/soy added to it, not to mention the other culprits like dairy, wheat etc!

• Moderators

I know you took your own, but just as a general note:

Beware salad bar tuna, always ask what's in it. One place I used to eat at puts several teaspoons of sugar in it :wacko:

EW!  That's gross!

I actually used to work with a woman that put four tablespoons of sugar into one of those little yoplait single serve yogurt things... she was on weight watchers so obviously it worked with her points... vomit!

Yeah I know the tuna in the salad bar has mayonnaise and other crap in it so I bring my own. They actually have a lot of great stuff though including hard boiled eggs, raw veggies, etc. My co-worker who also got the butternut squash doesn't think it tastes sweet or that anything was added -- maybe it is just because I haven't had sugar in 15 days everything is tasting way sweeter. I know when I bit into pineapple last night I was like OMG THIS IS HEAVEN.

^ Your taste buds REALLY DO change, and I thought this to myself earlier when I read your post & you said your co-worker did not think the squash was sweet. I believe what I have read is that the cells that make up our taste buds only last about 10 days.

Archived