Prescribed sleep aides

DorD

Can I use my prescribed sleep aide durning Whole30 if I'm having trouble sleeping?

Last night (day 2) I woke up at 2:20 and couldn't fall back to sleep so my 3:30 I took some of my sleep aide (tamazapam)

What would be the best thing to do?

Thanks

Drs orders/prescribed medications trump Whole30 rules - that said you may find that as you settle in to the program your sleep will be much improved.

Do you take the tamazapam regularly, or just as & when required?

Do you take a magnesium supplement of any description? You may find that a magnesium supplement/natural calm will help just as well going forward...

It's a PRN. And I don't even take the full dose when I take it.

Magnesium and I don't get along. Gives me anal bleeding if I take it regularly

I do take Best Rest formula from Pure Encasplations and Chinese herbs.

I just thought that I can take another best rest if I run into this problem again.

Also- does increasing sweet potatoes help with sleep?

It's a PRN. And I don't even take the full dose when I take it.

Magnesium and I don't get along. Gives me anal bleeding if I take it regularly

I do take Best Rest formula from Pure Encasplations and Chinese herbs.

I just thought that I can take another best rest if I run into this problem again.

Also- does increasing sweet potatoes help with sleep?

Yep, many people find that eating starchy veg with meal three helps with sleep - so yes, potatoes, turnip, parsnip, beets, that kind of thing...

• Administrators

The other ingredients in the best rest formula include

Ascorbyl palmitate, maltodextrin, hypoallergenic plant fiber, gum arabic, silica, cellulose

Is this compliant?

So will having tamazapam mess with my whole30?

Hi DorD,

Having tamazapam shouldn't mess too much with your Whole30 as the only non compliant ingredient that I can see is the maltodextrin (sweetener) and sweeteners aren't a gut disruptor.  Since this is a prescription and we all know the benefit of good sleep, I would personally continue on as you have been doing and don't worry about it.

EDIT:  sorry, sorry.  The maltodextrin is in a supplement that you purchased yourself.  So you could stop taking that and keep taking your prescription and then you'd be Whole30 compliant.  Up to you, really.

If you haven't tried different kinds of magnesium, some are much gentler than others, but discuss any plans to try them with your doctor.

I take a magnesium aspartate dehydrate without problems even in higher doses, but I've had strong reactions to other kinds.

What brand do you take P?

Can you get it at whole foods or ??

Thanks

I'm in Australia, so our local brand may not be available to you, but mine is Blackmore's MagMin https://www.blackmores.com.au/products/magmin

It's commonly given to the elderly here because it's a gentle one. You could ask your local pharmacist for "magnesium aspartate dehydrate", just check the label before you buy it. You might even be able to get a sample to try.

Archived