Define emergency food

Hello.

In my mind emergency food is for when it's past the 5 hr mark and I'm going to be hangry and freak out- I have used RX bars twice now and larabar once in a 46 day span.

Of course now I want Rx bars more. I'm fantasizing about eating them when I don't want a full meal. It's a nice change from all the meat and veg. I'm guessing This falls into the category of "foods with no brakes"? I put the box in a closet that's not convenient but then it sort of defeats the purpose cause there's an emergency one I keep in my bag. It feels complicated.

What's your go- to emergency food?

• Administrators

Emergency food is for actual emergencies. Like the 5-hour mark has passed and you are still stranded on the expressway with no hope in sight of rescue for at least 3 more hours.  Unfortunately the sweeter bars like RX and larabars will cause a sugar-stressed brain to create emergencies where none actually exist.  For instance on that expressway, 5 hours has passed but the tow truck just showed up so you should be home in 45 minutes.  Sure, maybe you're hungry and REALLY looking forward to the dinner that's in your crockpot at home, but it's not an RX bar emergency, you'll be fine.  But if you have that bar around, it sure could look like an emergency darn quick!  ;)

Better emergency foods are ones that do not foster sugar cravings or speak to desires for sweets.  Hard boiled eggs, compliant jerky, baggie of olives, can of sardines (with pull tab, plastic fork in your glovebox/handbag) etc.  These things are foods that will get you more satiety until your emergency ends but are unlikely to cause you to "create" an emergency so that you can eat them.  And even if you did, they are less destructive overall than a sweet thing like a date/nut bar.

That said, the extent of my emergency foods are a can of sardines in my desk at work.  If you are out in the world and something terrible happens, chances are there is a store nearby where you can buy at the least, an apple.  If you're at work, well, sardines!  And if you truly do get stranded on the freeway.......well...........honestly, you won't die.

Put those bars up.  If you have time to throw a bar in your handbag, you have time to throw a little container of olives in there.  :)

Hard cooked eggs or packets of tuna in olive oil would be better choices than Rx bars IMO.  Being hangry isn't an emergency - you would survive waiting another hour or two without eating.  For me, an emergency would be more like being stuck in an airplane with no food option for several hours when I didn't know that I would be stuck (think Jet Blue on the runway for 5 hours).

Airplane.  Caught in a blizzard on Donner's Pass with strangers.  Stuck anywhere without another car in sight for 60-100 miles of long, lonesome highway. Seasoned travelers have-cooler-will-travel with real food reinforcements.

I can't think of any food emergency in town.  If there's a grocery store/gas station where real food can be purchased.. choose real food options over bars. 

After  30 days, we set the bar.   The higher the bar- Whole 30 choices,  the easier it is post Whole 30 to keep touching that bar of overall health and well being.

• Moderators

Good question and way to take the initiative in asking.

A true emergency should not arise just because you ate 5 hours prior but simply aren't home yet and didn't bring more food along. Not that you can't eat a few nuts and some jerky, but it's not ideal and we are here to advise you on how to have your best possible Whole30.

For a true emergency, like getting stranded at the airport in a snowstorm or on a highway for hours behind a terrible accident where the road is closed I carry EPIC bars (Beef, Turkey, Pork and Lamb are compliant, but ALWAYS read your labels, Bison is not compliant).

On a travel day, I carry EPIC bars, a pouch of compliant tuna or salmon, some nuts, some baby carrots (will keep at room temp for quite a few hours). I often pack a salad and hard boiled eggs to eat (but this is something I plan to eat during my flight or right after, I bring the above in addition).

If you don't adhere to TRUE emergencies, you will notice you have RXbar emergencies quite often. Most of us have had to get them out of the house.

This is all helpful. It's like I knew but needed to read it.

I'm kind of scared of epic bars. I saw one at the Heath food store. Are they just meat in bar form like jerky?

Good question and way to take the initiative in asking.

A true emergency should not arise just because you ate 5 hours prior but simply aren't home yet and didn't bring more food along. Not that you can't eat a few nuts and some jerky, but it's not ideal and we are here to advise you on how to have your best possible Whole30.

For a true emergency, like getting stranded at the airport in a snowstorm or on a highway for hours behind a terrible accident where the road is closed I carry EPIC bars (Beef, Turkey, Pork and Lamb are compliant, but ALWAYS read your labels, Bison is not compliant).

On a travel day, I carry EPIC bars, a pouch of compliant tuna or salmon, some nuts, some baby carrots (will keep at room temp for quite a few hours). I often pack a salad and hard boiled eggs to eat (but this is something I plan to eat during my flight or right after, I bring the above in addition).

If you don't adhere to TRUE emergencies, you will notice you have RXbar emergencies quite often. Most of us have had to get them out of the house.

Archived