Eating Out and the Wrong Oil

amyayers2

I went out for lunch with my mother before she headed home to NY today. Before placing my order, I bombarded my server with a ton of questions about how a particular dish was prepared. I decided on pan seared scallops w/ a salad on the side because I was told that the scallops were seared in a basting oil that was made up of olive oil and fresh herbs (this oil appeared to be on the salad as well). Food tasted great!! However, I felt ill and was in the bathroom within an hour of eating. When continuing through the store where I had lunch, I came across a bottle of the basting oil and came to find out that it wasn't made with olive oil....it was a mixture of grape seed oil and canola oil! No wonder I've been feeling like crap since lunch. I'm on day 17 of my Whole 30 and am not sure what to do.

I suggest you carry on like a trouper. :) If you ingested a bunch of gluten or dairy, I'd say something different. IMHO, ingesting a seed oil does not call for a re-start. I also doubt the oil made you ill. Sounds like food poisoning or a rotavirus to me (almost impossible to tell the difference between the two).

That's a relief that I wouldn't have to restart. Although, that wouldn't be an issue for me. I've been feeling great....especially that past few days. Food poisoning didn't cross my mind because it was more of lower intestinal distress (which is why I started the Whole 30), and now a bunch of abdominal cramping. I guess I'm more annoyed than anything else because the ingredients turned out to be not what I was told.

Yes, I don't blame you for being annoyed. A few weeks ago, I asked the butcher at WF if they had any sugar free bacon. He was all excited and said yes and took me over to Applegate's Sunday Bacon. Um...it may say zero sugars, but sugar is right on the ingredients list. I'm glad I decided to read the label before I bought it.

You should probably let a moderator chime in about a restart because I didn't know intestine problems are why you are doing Whole30. I only know the basic of the basics. :)

Archived