Fruit Juice

ShawnaN_Everett_Wa

So, I know it says to eat the fruit but dang it. I only drink milk, water or juice. I don't drink tea or coffee (allergic to caffeine & don't like the bitter taste).

I can't have milk & I'm supposed eat the fruit instead of drink it, which is nice if you want to eat it but sometimes I'm just thirsty & water isn't cutting it. Then what?

Almond milk is OK but doesn't quench the thirst. Not interested in coconut milk/water or anything carbonated. Again... Then what?

• Moderators

You could put a splash of juice in your water (just a splash, not drink straight juice, which even though it's made from fruit is still going to affect your body the way straight up sugar would), or you can infuse fruits in your water (just slice up fruit, put it in a pitcher of water, let it sit in the fridge overnight -- any fruits work, in the summer I love cucumber, but apple with a stick of cinnamon in it is good too, any citrus works well -- just use whatever you have on hand and figure out what flavors you like. You can include herbs as well.). Have you tried herbal teas? There are a ton of varieties with no caffeine, in lovely flavors. I don't know where you are, so you may not be able to find these exact ones, and even if you do find them, read the labels and make sure they're compliant because companies can change their formulas, but I like Tazo brand Wild Sweet Orange, Good Earth brand Sweet & Spicy (this comes in a decaf and a caffeinated, be sure you double check which one you get), hibiscus tea, peppermint tea, ginger tea. 

Your body needs water. I drink half my liquids for the day in pure water with a slice of lemon or lime. The rest is coffee or tea. Eat your fruit. The W30 is a time we are learning new habits, not necessarily keeping the old ones so this would be a good time to forget the juice.

• Moderators

Flavored water... Not big on that idea.

Sigh ah well

I don't know how much water you normally drink, but back several years ago when I made a concerted effort to start getting in plenty of plain, still water every day, I was surprised by how refreshing I found it after a few days, and how much I really wanted it when I didn't have enough.

Your tastes will change, especially if you embrace not just the rules of the Whole30 but the recommendations, and you won't need that hit of sweetness to jazz up your beverages. You'll find herbal teas that you have to read the label on every.single.time, because it's so sweet tasting that you'd swear there was something non-compliant in it. 

Archived