Help Getting Back on Track

rbill

Hi all,

I was about 20 days or so into my W30, have had mixed feelings of my experience (detailed below) and since have had some major slips. 

1. I have been snacking mindlessly and feeding my sugar dragon.

2. I snacked on almonds to later find out they were make in peanut oil on Sunday night. 

3. I mindlessly ate peas for dinner on Monday night.

4. Since 2 & 3 happened, I worked from home yesterday and due to personal stress/lack of structure I grazed on compliant food all day, to then go to a restaurant and order a burger (bunless) but was (consciously) careless as to what type of oil they may have used on the grill

Day 10-18 or so my energy level was down, down, down to the point I could not even drag myself to the gym and still haven't been in 2 weeks. 

Day 18-20 I started to get really energized, but my pants had been fitting way tighter, I felt bloated and genuinely did not like the way I looked in the mirror (what happened to my *slight* muscle definition in my stomach?). I also can't seem to shake the "I need to eat all of the things" feeling.

So, clearly, I broke the rules and that warrants a start-over, but I'm finding it hard to find the discipline and to be honest feel defeated. Pre-W30 I was eating pretty compliant with some SWYPO paleo items, coconut sugar, occasional splurges on eating out, but now I feel like I was eating too many starchy veggies for my body, mixed with having a desk job (I try to stand as much as possible) and lack of exercise. I am petite to begin with so I'm not in this to lose weight but to feel my most optimal. 

Here are my questions/needed advice:

-How to STOP the snacking when not hungry (was snacking on almond butter, berries, RX bars, and did I really need that half a banana at 11:30 last night?) 

-Am I eating too many starches, fat, or protein?

-Advice on how to get back on track and not feel defeated

-Could the bloat be due to the snacking? (I'm waiting for It Starts With Food 9th on hold at the library) 

Here's a breakdown of what I had been eating, please scrutinize and let me know if I have been eating too much: 

M1: 1-2 eggs, pan roasted veggies (more than a cups worth of peppers, broccoli, cauliflower) in EVOO, a serving of left over pork/chicken (I try to do the fist rule but have trouble with estimating this sometimes), 1/4-1/2 sweet potato, 1/4-1/2 an avocado

M2: Serving bowl sized salad with all the veggies, spinach, kale, arugula, peppers, cukes, tomatoes, mushrooms, snap peas, anything else that's in the fridge with left over pork/chicken (probably 2 meal templates worth) or a can of tuna (36g protein) and butternut squash (maybe 5-10 inch sized pieces), dressing is EVOO and vinegar or salsa, always with 1/4-1/2 an avocado

M3: 2 meal templates worth of meat (pork, chicken), whatever veggies I have around (brocclini, spinach, kale arugula, tomatoes), 1/2 a sweet potato and 1/4-1/2 an avocado

Water: 6-10 glasses a day with herbal tea throughout

Caffeine: 2 cups after breakfast before noon

I have been feeling full through my 5-7 hours through my meals.

• Moderators

1. Commit to no snacking at all. If you are having trouble going the distance between meals, add a fourth meal that includes protein, fat, and veggies. Commit to not eating any snack foods at any time - almond butter, berries, RX bars, etc. 

2. No, you are not eating too much of anything.

3. Commit to doing the Whole30 until you get it right 30 days in a row. Following the rules perfectly is not the same as following all our recommendations. The best experience comes from following our recommendations, but you can have a good experience and still mess up a bit doing things like skipping a meal, missing veggies at a meal, etc, as long as you don't do it too much. 

4. Eating nuts or nut butters might increase bloating because all forms of nuts are hard on digestion. 

Some people find nuts only feed their sugar dragon.

If you think this might be you, you may want to pass on the nuts for a week and see if it helps.

For some people, they really mess with appetite and are a food with no brakes.

Rules vs Recommendations

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

If you haven't read It Starts With Food, you may find it very helpful.

Snacking is a hard habit to break, because a lot of it is unconscious. You snack while doing other things, like watching TV or reading a magazine, or after the kids go to bed and you are finally "free" for the night.

But try it. Get used to the feeling that your mouth is not chewing food most of the day. Fill your thermos with hot water and go at least 3 hours between meals, then 4 hours. Shut down your kitchen after dinner and don't go back until breakfast. Do this for 3 days and see how you feel. See how it feels to take your mind off food for those rest periods and focus on your life. I bet you will like it. :)

Archived