JulieP's Non-Whole 30 Log

JulieP757

I think my body was really missing that 1/2 cup of sweet potato yesterday.  I woke up STARVED and wanting carbs in a bad way.  I have some butternut squash roasting right now.

M1 - breakfast hash (ground pork, turnips, mushrooms, red pepper), 2 huge handfuls of power greens (kale, spinach and chard) topped w 3 over easy eggs all cooked in a Tbsp of coconut oil and a few pieces of roasted butternut squash.  Black coffee w co.

M2 and M3 are identical - cracklin chicken thighs, roasted veggies (green beans, carrots, red pepper, broccoli and zucchini), roasted butternut squash and half an avocado

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of meals eaten out between last Friday and yesterday.  Made the best choices I could, but I am feeling the effects of not-so-clean eating.  Back to the basics today:

M1 - breakfast hash (ground pork, turnips, mushrooms and red pepper) plus 1/4 of a large tomato topped w 3 over easy eggs - all cooked in coconut oil.  Black coffee w co

M2 - huge salad of spinach and baby greens, carrots, cucumbers, red pepper, cinnamon roasted butternut squash, a couple sliced strawberries, 3 sliced grapes, 1/8th chopped apple and half an avocado topped w chicken breast sautéed in ghee and dressed w lemon juice and avocado oil.  LOVE the addition of the fruit to the salad - so fresh tasting!

M3 - more chicken breast sautéed in ghee, steamed broccoli topped w ghee and about 1/3 cup baked sweet potato w coconut oil.

I've been reading the Hormone Reset Diet and the Hormone Cure by Sara Gottfried.  A lot of similarities to the Whole 30.  Differences include no meat - just eggs, cold water, low mercury fish, shellfish and organic poultry.  Rationale - conventional meat is full of hormones that disrupt our hormones.  I do eat a lot of conventional meat, so this will be a change for me.  Another difference is no caffeine.  You wean yourself off your caffeine crutch in the first 10 days.  Caffeine can cause cortisol issues, which can impact the quality of your sleep.  My coffee intake has crept up to 4 cups a day lately.  Because I haven't been sleeping well, I drink more coffee.  More coffee makes me sleep worse, so I drink more coffee the next day.  I am down to 1 cup in the morning as of today and hope to stop completely by Monday.  Similarities - eat 1 lb. of veggies a day, with a focus on half of those being leafy green veggies like kale and spinach.  When you break this down in cups, it's just like the whole 30, also no dairy, no grains, no crappy fats.  She does recommend certain dried beans, but I think I will pass on those. So for me, it really boils down to no meat and no caffeine.  Oh and it may be little lower carb than I've been doing.  Sweet potatoes are allowed, but it's recommended to eat these twice a week.  I've been eating them everyday.  Target net carbs are 20 to 50.  I'll see if this makes a difference in my hormones.  My body is just not right lately.

M1 - 3 over easy eggs cooked in ghee and a couple cups of roasted cauliflower

Heading out to the store to stock up on veggies.  The fridge is pretty bare right now.

M2 - chicken thighs sauteed in ghee, 2 small yellow squash sautéed in the chicken drippings, 1 cup of cooked turnip greens, 3 brazil nuts

M3 - huge salad of baby greens, kale, swiss chard, spinach, carrots, red pepper, cucumber, half an avocado, roasted beets and green olives topped w chicken thigh and dressed w EVOO and balsamic

Net carbs came in at 38 - right on target.

Another crappy night's sleep:(  I turned off all TV's and computers around 8, took a nice Epsom salt bath, put up the new light blocking curtains, made sure the house was cool, turned on my fan to block out noise, took my nightly magnesium supplement and a new one that has Melatonin.  I started off nice and sleepy, but still took almost an hour to fall asleep (around 11 pm) according to my Fitbit.  Was WIDE AWAKE at 4 and by 4:30 I was starved - stomach was growling so much, I knew I had to eat or I would never fall back asleep.  Got up and ate a small chicken thigh, drank some water and got back in bed.  Last time I looked at the clock it was 5:15.  I was up for good at 7.  This is cyclical for me. I hope next week is a good sleep week for me.  I really need it!

Stuck to 1 cup of coffee this morning.  M1 - 3 over easy eggs and a couple cups of roasted cauliflower.

M2 - blackened salmon w 3 cups of summer squash sautéed in ghee

PWO - half a chicken thigh w a tsp of coconut oil

Body pump class and did 8K steps

M3 - big salad of kale, swiss chard, spinach, cucumber, red pepper, carrot, half an avocado, pico de gallo and chicken taco meat, about 1/3 cup of sweet potato w coconut oil

M1 - a couple cups of diced turnip w about half a cup leftover roasted cauliflower sauteed in coconut oil and topped w 3 over easy eggs

M2 - blackened cod w about 1 1/2 cups zucchini all sautéed in coconut oil and a cup of cooked turnip greens

PWO - 2 hard boiled eggs

Either a class at the gym or 5 mile walk

M3 - big salad of kale, swiss chard, spinach, cucumber, red pepper, carrot, half an avocado, pico de gallo and chicken taco meat, about 1/3 cup of sweet potato w coconut oil and maybe a small square of 88% dark chocolate

Another crappy night's sleep last night.  This is getting old.

M1- 1 1/2 cups turnip, mushroom and red pepper hash topped w 3 over easy eggs all cooked in a tbsp of coconut oil.  1 cup black coffee

Snack - really hungry day - pistachios - at least a couple ounces

M2 - blackened salmon, a cup of turnip greens, roasted green beans and sautéed summer squash - veggies all had coconut oil on them

M3 - Detox shake w vanilla pea protein powder, almond/coconut milk, MCT oil, kale and strawberries.

I slept pretty well - shocking.

M1 - Detox shake w vanilla pea protein powder, almond/coconut milk, MCT oil, kale and strawberries.

M2- baked chicken thighs, roasted green beans, 1/4 cup sweet potato, coconut oil

M3 - big salad of kale, swiss chard, spinach, cucumber, red pepper, carrot, half an avocado, pico de gallo and chicken taco meat, avocado oil

I almost made it without coffee today.  Got to work and could not shake the brain fog.  Had one cup.  

Ate half my M3 about an hour and a half before my body pump class and ate the other half right after.

Tomorrow's food will be:

M1 - Detox shake w vanilla pea protein powder, fiber w prebiotics and probiotics, almond/coconut milk, MCT oil, kale and blueberries.

M2 - big salad of kale, swiss chard, spinach, cucumber, red pepper, carrot, half an avocado, tomato topped w blacked salmon and dressed w lemon juice and avocado oil
M3 - turnip, mushroom and red pepper hash w 3 big handfuls of kale and spinach topped w 4 over easy eggs.

The shake I had this morning kept me full for 5 hours.  

• 2 months later...

Nothing like a two month gap in my food log....

Went on vacation from June 10 to June 26th and I ate and drank whatever I wanted.  No regrets, but it has taken a solid week to get my system back to normal.  I've focused on clean eating this past week, but have yet to get back to the gym.  Maybe this weekend - maybe :)  Surprisingly, I only gained two pounds!

I thought about doing another Whole 30, but I really, really like having a shake in the morning and that's just not allowed.  I like the Garden of Life Raw FIT powder mixed w 2 cups almond or cashew milk, a couple handfuls of spinach or kale, a handful of berries, a Tbsp of acacia fiber and a Tbsp or two of MCT oil.  This concoction keeps me full for 4 to 5 hours no problem.  The plant based protein powder is a little chalky tasting, but it has grown on me to the point where I really like it.

Today's food:

M1: No shake today.  Turnip, cauliflower, red pepper and spinach hash topped w 3 over easy eggs and some cantaloupe.  2 cups black coffee.

No idea what the rest of the day will be.

M2 was a Raw FIT shake. Had a few pieces of Epic bison jerky late in the afternoon.

M3- grilled burger topped w tomato, avocado, mayo and mustard w a side of homemade coleslaw, roasted broccoli and a few homemade potato chips.  

I'm not posting food from yesterday.  It was bad, bad, bad.  On a positive note, I did get my 10K steps in and did a body pump class albeit w very light weights since I hadn't been in a month.

Today's food:

M1 today is a shake w cashew milk, kale, spinach, berries, half a banana, acacia fiber, MCT oil and Raw FIT protein powder.

M2 will be a big salad - baby greens and spinach, cucumber, red pepper, avocado, radish and tomato topped w a grilled burger and dressed w avocado oil and balsamic.

M3 will be grilled or baked (if it's still raining) chicken thighs, 1/2 cup baked sweet potato w coconut oil and roasted veggies (green beans, cauliflower, red pepper, carrots, yellow squash).

Heading to the gym this morning again to get my 10K steps in and do another body pump class w very light weights.  I wish it would stop raining so I could exercise outside.

M1 - Raw FIT shake w almond milk, mixed berries, half a banana, acacia fiber and MCT oil. I realized I was out of spinach and kale - other than what's in my salad mix and I didn't feel like picking it out.

M2- salad of baby greens, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, radish, tomato, red pepper and avocado w a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries (sweetened w apple juice) and topped w baked chicken thighs and dressed w avocado oil and lemon.

M3 - baby back ribs, roasted veggies (green beans, carrots, cauliflower, red pepper and yellow squash) and potato salad.

I cut up a really good cantaloupe last night, so I'm bringing a small serving too.

M1 - Raw FIT shake w almond milk, fresh peach, half a banana, acacia fiber and MCT oil. 

M2- salad of baby greens, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli, carrots, cucumber, radish, tomato, red pepper and avocado w a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries (sweetened w apple juice) and topped w baked chicken thighs and dressed w avocado oil and lemon.

M3 - baby back ribs, roasted veggies (green beans, carrots, cauliflower, red pepper and yellow squash) and potato salad.

Well Ben and Jerry have been making their way back into my life and I just can't seem to tell them no.  I'm still having candida issues so sugar of any sort is not good for me.  Time for the rigidity of a Whole 30.  Today is Day 1.

M1- turnip, cauliflower and red pepper hash cooked in coconut oil and topped with 3 over easy eggs, half an avocado, black coffee

M2- big salad with baby greens, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cucumber, carrots, tomato, red pepper and avocado topped w blackened salmon and dressed w lemon and avocado oil.

M3  TBD

So M2  ended up being blackened salmon and roasted veggies. M3 is a huge salad with the usual ingredients topped w chopped hard cooked egg and a can of tuna and dressed with homemade mayo and lemon. Delish! I'm feeling confident I am going to make it through Day 1.

Made a breakfast hash with jicama, sweet potato, onions, kale, spinach and chicken apple sausage.  Had a big serving topped w 3 over easy eggs.  Made enough for the week.  Does jicama ever get soft?  I think not.  The sweet potatoes were mush and the jicama is still crunchy.  I prefer turnips, but apparently they are out of season.

M2 was a small salad dressed w ACV and avocado oil and a small portion of spaghetti squash and meat sauce. I'm not hungry for dinner - at all. I made it for the kids and it smells delicious, but I'm still full from lunch. M3 - when I get hungry - will be shish kabab - both ribeye steak and chicken w yellow squash, red onion, red pepper, cherry tomato and mushroom and half a baked potato w ghee.

M1 - jicama, sweet potato, onion, kale, spinach and chicken apple sausage hash cooked in ghee/coconut oil and topped w 2 eggs, black coffee w coconut oil

M2 - huge salad w cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, carrots, red pepper, cucumber, avocado and tomato topped w a hard cooked egg and a can of tuna.  Dressed w homemade mayo and lemon.

M3 - grilled chicken w roasted veggies topped w ghee

Oh how I wish I could just have a smoothie this morning.  I just do not want to eat eggs and veggies today, but I am.  Food today:

Breakfast has topped w 2 over easy eggs, black coffee

Spaghetti squash topped w meat sauce and a small salad

Blacked salmon and roasted veggies

That's it for me. Hope everyone has a great day!

I did a body pump class las night and had a chicken thigh and some roasted veggies (mostly carrots) post work out.

Today's food:

Breakfast hash topped w 2 over easy eggs cooked in coconut oil and ghee, black coffee

Spaghetti squash topped w meat sauce and a medium salad topped w homemade vinaigrette

Baked chicken thighs and roasted veggies topped w ghee

Day 7 

Today's food:

M1 - Breakfast hash topped w 2 over easy eggs cooked in coconut oil and ghee, black coffee

M2 Spaghetti squash topped w meat sauce and a medium salad topped w homemade vinaigrette

M3 was a grilled burger topped with tomato, onion, dill pickle, mayo and mustard and a side of roasted veggies topped w ghee

Did a body pump class tonight.

This week's breakfast hash is going to be butternut squash, cauliflower, baby bella mushrooms, red pepper, onion, kale, spinach, chicken apple sausage and sundried tomato chicken sausage.  It took me 2 hours to chop all that stuff up, so I hope I made enough for 2 week's worth this time.  I'll be cooking it off tomorrow.

Archived