Need baker's advice! Coconut flour bread

FusaroFTW

First - don't judge me. :)

I am day 22 of my Whole30 - and have had an extremely hard time - but it is getting better. The weekends are the hardest, but I have had not cheats just crazy cravings.

Now, when I am done, I want to try to keep as close to Whole30 as possible. Although, I would love to have a "bread" option. I know this is SWYPO... but I won't use until after my official Whole30, and will only eat minimal amount paired with meat/veggies.

I have been scouring the internet, and I want to re-create this recipe without Psyllium: http://www.julianbakery.com/bread-product/paleo-bread-coconut/

I need a baker's expert advice. I have no idea what quantities to use - but this bread looks reasonable, but I want to avoid Psyllium. I like that this bread uses egg white (I am not against egg yolk, but this keeps the bread lower calorie - so I will be less likely to be FULL after eating this... which allows me to keep my veggie/protein intake high - make sense?)

Any ideas on how I can make this bread? Thoughts? I have seen recipes using nut butter - but I don't do well with nut butters, so I want to avoid that. Doesn't need to be perfect. Thoughts?

<police> Derval, if you share that recipe, can you keep it to a PM, please? </police>

OP, gluten/grain free baking is RIDICULOUSLY difficult. It's really generally better to just buy the product, than try to experiment on your own and have a bunch of (or any) failures with expensive ingredients. Hopefully this splurge will be infrequent enough that you can do that?

Additionally, keeping calories to a minimum in this is coming at it from the wrong angle. It's food, you are eating it, it should have nutrients and it should make you full. Gaming the recipe to turn it into a "food delivery system" instead of food, is not really what we're after here...even if you ARE heading off the official W30 rulebook.

Julian Bakery makes a "Paleo" bread that is found at Whole Foods or New Seasons (Oregon and Washington only) in their freezer section. I bought it after my first Whole30 a year ago and tried it. I liked it as toast, but it was such a pain to pry the frozen pieces apart and I didn't want to thaw the entire loaf. The coconut flour bread was tasty though. I just do without now. It's easier.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback. When i mentioned calories, I meant that I did not want to become completely full after eating a nutbutter "bread" which would in turn keep me from wanting to eat veggies. I think this coconut bread would be a great occasional supplement to my post Whole30 experience (instead of adding in wheat/rice breads, as some do). I understand the implications of experimenting in the kitchen, but I fear not! I would mostly love to use this as a way to enhance texture and flavor to a meal, such as a burger bun with side of veggies! Using coconut "bread" as a means of completing a meal (where ingredients are coconut flour and eggs)... such as using zucchini 'noodles' or 'portabella caps' for burger buns, or coconut flour to coat chicken breasts. But, dualy noted! Just thinking ahead. Thanks!

Gluten and grain free baking takes some practice but it's certainly not impossible and I believe outside of a W30 is completely realistic and reasonable. Elana's Pantry has a great "Paleo" Bread recipe that turns out beautifully as well as plenty of wonderful grain-free recipes. Again, most are not acceptable during your W30 due to "paleo-fying" but are great options during real life living especially when gluten/grains are not options at any time outside of W30. SWYPO is a great term in context of W30 but for people with true allergies I don't consider a gluten/grain free recipe anything other than reasonable when that is your only choice.

Have u tried the coconut wraps from Julia's pantry? I add a little curry powder to mine.

Ingredients (for 4 medium-sized wraps):

2 eggs

1 tablespoon coconut flour

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons water

pinch of salt

Directions

Whisk the eggs really well with a hand whisk. (I made the entire recipe in a large jug, which makes it really easy to pour the mixture into the pan when cooking). Sieve the coconut flour, and add to the eggs, along with the olive oil and salt. Mix really well with the whisk for 1 minute. If the mixture gets quite thick, add water a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. You really want it to be pourable, quite runny really, so that when you pour it into the pan it spreads out easily, like pancake mixture. Keep adding a little water until the mixture is runny enough, but not watery. Heat a pan with a tiny amount of olive oil, and pour enough mixture into the pan to make a decent size wrap. Turn the pan well, like when you make pancakes, to spread the mixture evenly around the pan, making a round shape. Cook on medium high heat for 2-4 minutes, and carefully flip to cook on the other side. Serve warm with your delicious filling of choice!

When I was on a trad low-carb diet I used to make flaxseed bread, I can post the recipe if you like? It's far from low-cal though.

Derval could you PM the flaxseed bread for post w30 or post it in the post w30 section?

Archived