Catered Mexican Food

MeghanDamato

I am attending a super bowl party tomorrow that is being catered by a local hole in the wall Mexican restaurant. I found out the name and number of the place and called and asked them how they cook their carne asada and pollo asada since that's what is being catered. The lady said they cook it on the grill with no oils or added fats only seasonings. I'm guessing this is ok to eat. I'm on day 13 and feeling so amazing! I'm scared to eat anything that might upset my gut! Should I eat before I go and not chance it or does it sound ok to have?

• Moderators

Did you ask if they marinate the meat? Or what the seasonings are? If you did and they don't marinate it, or only marinate it in compliant ingredients, and if the seasonings are just seasonings that they blend themselves that don't contain anything off plan, then it's fine -- although you'd probably want to take some vegetables anyway, since it's unlikely they'll have much in the way of veggies. 

What's the time frame of the party? I'd probably eat lunch beforehand. I'd be wary of what the caterers reported as to their practices, plus once you're in the swing of things at the party, if you're not sated from a template meal it could be tougher to stay compliant. Revelry can be taxing on willpower.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I called the caterer again and asked if they marinate or use spices. They told me they grill with onions, peppers and carrots and use their own seasonings of garlic, salt and onion. I was there right at lunch time so I ate a plate of meat and lots of fresh cut veggies from an appetiter someone brought and I covered it all in homemade guacamole and pico de gallo. Overall I felt very good about it and it kept me full:) and the best part is that my gut doesn't feel disrupted at all.

Archived