Is it possible to be eating too much?

katieblue

So, I've followed the advice of the program and mods as per my food log to make sure I'm following the meal template the best that I can, three times a day. I generally don't get hungry for breakfast until 2-3 hours after I wake up, and I don't get hungry until about 1-2pm for lunch. Then, if I eat a normal-sized lunch, I don't get hungry for dinner. Period. I don't feel hungry again until like 9pm.

So, needless to say, trying to keep the well-portioned plates going 4-5 hours apart has been challenging. I'm never really hungry when I start in on it, but I understand that the way to get my appetite back is to make sure I'm eating enough. However, it's also really hard to tell when I'm full when I'm starting at full. Generally, I walk away from the table feeling pretty stuffed, but not uncomfortably so like if I had a piece of cake or something. Yet all week long, I've been super bloated, to the point where my rings don't fit on my fingers and I can barely get my pants buttoned. My face looks rounder and I've got a pretty gnarly double chin going on.

At first, I kept thinking, Okay, this will pass, no sweat, since I know there is a point where people blow up and the timeline is different for everyone. But I'm on Day 7, and a week of this is making me nervous. Am I over-eating? Is it possible to eat too much on this program? I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight, but I don't really want to gain any, either.

Just for reference - I'm 25 years old, 5'3 and weighed about 120 pounds the last time I weighed in before I started. I'm not super active; I work three very sedentary jobs and go to school online. I generally do a 60-120 minute workout 3-4 times per week, but nothing too high-intensity. Because of the detox headache and general tiredness, my workouts have been skipped or sub-par for this week. I don't know if that may make a difference. I also realize now that I was really under-eating before I started this, so it may just take some time to adjust?

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome. Thank you!! :)

The bloating could be coming from a sensitivity to something you are eating - groups of foods like nightshades, FODMAPs, cruciferous veg, raw veg, or raw cruciferous veg (double whammy). If there's a sensitivity there and you are eating these foods on a regular basis then the build up of them in your system could over time cause inflammation, fatigue, bloat, stomach cramps, wind etc... Think about foods that are new to you, or foods that you are eating a lot more of than usual... I read a lot of logs but IIRC you are eating a lot of cauliflower and broccoli - both of which are cruciferous AND high FODMAPs so you might want to start by cutting back on those & see how you go.

As far as over-eating is concerned I've looked at your food log in the past & know this is not the case  - I think because you were previously under-eating that it will just take a while for your appetite to normalise, and the only way you are going to achieve this is by continuing to try & eat at regular intervals, and ensuring you eat breakfast within an hour of wakening especially.

Bear in mind also that the timeline is a guide - I never had the Kill All The Things phase for instance, nor did I suffer from carb flu so if you veer from the timeline slightly, or suffer from the 'for the love of gosling' phase a few days early/late it doesn't mean you're doing it wrong, it just means that you're unique.

Oh thank you for coming to my rescue again! :)

I have definitely been eating a lot more broccoli than normal, and more sweet potatoes (not sure if they fall into FODMAP category?). I'll try and change it up a little bit and see if it helps! I think I just need to get a little more confidence in trying different veggies.

Thank you so much for the support! :) You guys are great.

I did a lot of research on the topic, and yesterday I grabbed lots of low-FODMAP veggies (potatoes, zucchini, summer squash, bell peppers, carrots). Today I plan to chop them into chunks, toss them in some olive oil and spices, and roast them, and have them as my side dishes to dinners for the next few days! I swapped my mushrooms and onions with breakfast for green beans and tomatoes, and had a salad with cucumber, tomato, olives, and carrots for lunch (obviously the meals had protein and fat, too, but I'm just talking less FODMAP veggie changes). And I have (alas) dropped my sweet potatoes as sides.

Not sure if it could be a coincidence, but yesterday was the first day I could fit my rings on my fingers, and I swear my face looks a little slimmer. Today, I woke up with a ton of energy (seriously... 3:30 with crazy anxiety and did a nearly two-hour strength/cardio workout to follow) but I couldn't fit in my gym clothes, which fit just fine last week before I started. I'm on Day 11 now, and I know this is when people are likely to quit, but I'm in a much better place emotionally than I was. So who knows - I'll keep riding it out and see what happens. :)

That's really interesting, because my hormones are one of the biggest health issues I'm having right now (at the risk of TMI - I haven't had a period or anything remotely resembling a libido in the past two years). I've seen multiple traditional (doctors, nutrition coach) and non-traditional (homeopathic, acupuncture) medical/health practitioners and not one has asked me about my diet. Go figure.

• Moderators

Is there a place on line where I should be recording my food?

If you want, you can start a log here in the forum in the Your Whole30 Log section, here: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

Some people start accounts on instagram and post pictures of their meals there. Some prefer to just write it down for themselves on paper or in a computer file. Some don't keep track at all, and you don't have to if you don't want to, but it can be helpful if you do run into problems at some point, so you can see if you ate something new or a lot more of something than usual.

That's really interesting, because my hormones are one of the biggest health issues I'm having right now (at the risk of TMI - I haven't had a period or anything remotely resembling a libido in the past two years). I've seen multiple traditional (doctors, nutrition coach) and non-traditional (homeopathic, acupuncture) medical/health practitioners and not one has asked me about my diet. Go figure.

If you can find one, you might want to see if you can track down a functional naturopath (if they don't know what a methylation cycle is, keep looking).

I used to take a medication (prednisolone) for a long time, that has done quite a bit of damage to my metabolism, so I'm doing a lot of tweaking to try and resettle my hormones and get my metabolism running it's best. There is quite a lot you can do with just diet, but there's also a lot more beyond it too.

Some things I've learned:

• Eating close to waking kicks off a whole bunch of processes in the body, a bit like powering up your computer, ready for the day. Within 1 hour is great, within 30 minutes is even better (if you can manage it).
  • Not getting enough sleep will undo just about every other thing you do to try and fix hormones, sleep deprivation does a lot of damage on a lot of levels and you can't "cheat" your way out of it.
  • This directly relates to the one above, but lack of sleep at particular times of the night will completely rob you of DHEA production in the body (comes from your adrenals). Without DHEA we all feel like a flat battery (this is one of the reasons we feel tired after a long night of no sleep).
  • There's a bunch of nutrients which are required to keep everything ticking over, if you're deficient, everything feels terrible and many docs won't ever test you unless you ask, but many of these things are links in the chain, if one thing is missing, everything downstream doesn't work right. I'm deficient in B12, magnesium, vitamin D, iron, zinc and my body can use an astonishing about of vitamin c. I've also recently added Taurine (an animo acid) and seen some improvements.
  • There's a bunch of stuff in the body that needs to be healthy to manage all your hormones, including your adrenals and thyroid, if any of that stuff is not healthy, then the whole system goes off balance (my adrenals are pretty tired from the medication I used to take, I've got adrenal insufficiency, but slowly recovering)
  • Moving my workouts out of morning and into evening made a huge difference (cortisol is naturally high in the morning and workouts tend to increase it, too much cortisol removes the benefit of the workout for me)
  • Moving from "chronic cardio" to resistance training made a huge difference (less cortisol, better outcomes from the same amount of effort, maybe even less effort)
  • The job I had before I started my first Whole30 wasn't very supportive of a healthy lifestyle as it regularly involved a lack of sleep and poor sleep routines. It took some time, but I changed it.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to share your wisdom with me! I'm sorry that your medication took its toll on your metabolism, but major props for making so many positive changes to turn it around. And the patience... I think that's got to be the hardest part. Working on so many things for so long to see very slow improvements.

Actually, the past two days, I've been feeling hungry pretty shortly after I woke up! So I think that's a good sign. :)

It's not all bad, it enabled me to keep working while I was very sick, so I'm glad I took it, just wish I'd gotten off it earlier.

Some things change faster than others. Adrenals are slow, reversing deficiencies is quick once you know what they are.

I also get better results from the Recommendations too

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

The template makes a huge difference for me and sleep!

I've definitely been sleeping better since starting the Whole30, and I haven't forced myself to wake up at the crack of dawn to get to the gym because I haven't felt crappy after eating crappy food in the two weeks since I began. On Saturday night, I went to bed at 9:30, and slept until 7am because I let myself turn off the alarm and forgo the gym, and I felt GREAT when I woke up! I've still gone to the gym or gone for walks, but it hasn't been as obsessive and motivated by desperation after a terrible binge.

There's a whole lot to be said for just being kinder to yourself, too... which is also easier with more sleep. :)

Archived