April 1st!!

Debr

Hello All, 

I'm starting my 3rd whole30 tomorrow as well. Found whole30 last year around this time when I knew I needed to make a major change in my lifestyle. I loved whole 30 did everything right..... continued to eat whole30 for most of the summer lost 40lbs and was feeling better then I had in a long time. Then in October I was diagnosed with breast cancer.... Have had a double mastectomy, had 8 rounds of chemo, and I am about to start radiation. I have gained weight and even though everyone keeps telling me "it's ok", and that I shouldn't be worrying about my weight now", I am worried about it and more importantly about how I feel. I know radiation is going to zap a lot of my energy and I am hoping that getting back on track with whole30 will make the next 6 weeks a little easier. 

Looking forward to hearing all of your experiences!! We can do this!!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting whole 30 on april first and I have been eating like crap since I know I wont be able to have any of it for 30 days! I am nervous I will be detoxing the entire 30 days and wont even start to feel good until the very end of the plan? does anyone else have experience with this?

In my experience, the worse you eat prior to W30, the longer it takes to feel the "magic"...but each time I've done it I've felt great by day 15/16, and AWESOME by day 21. I have been eating like crap basically since Thanksgiving  :(

I bought italian hot sausage yesterday for my fiancee, the ingredients are Pork, water, seasonings, (salt dextrose, lemon extract, spice extractives, sodium lactate). Is this safe for me? I don't see msg, sulfates, or carageenans but I'm still not sure because of the dextrose. I read in the whole 30 book that salt has dextrose in it and salt is acceptable?

It looks like dextrose is an ingredient in the sausage, not an ingredient in the salt. I wouldn't chance it.

Prepping things for tomorrow, and I decided to try mayo. I did it on my last Whole30 in my blender (a different blender than the one I own now), and it was perfectly simple.

This time, all seemed to be going well, the mayo emulsified almost immediately.... And then I started to smell something, and my blender completely overheated and is probably dead. :o Had to throw that batch out, as it had little bits of melted... something.

I decided to give it another shot with a whisk, because I couldn't see ending the night with a ruined blender AND no mayo. it worked like a charm with the whisk, and took about 5 minutes.

So, let this be a cautionary tale, and a voice of encouragement. Homemade mayo is totally doable. But be careful with your blenders!

Congrats on your mayo! I never can get mine to act right so I'm still experimenting. However Julia Child has saved many batches of my mayonnaise. I read in one of her books a very long time ago that you can re-emulsify a broken mayonaisse by slowly whipping it into a tablespoon of prepared mustard. It works every time.

I bought italian hot sausage yesterday for my fiancee, the ingredients are Pork, water, seasonings, (salt dextrose, lemon extract, spice extractives, sodium lactate).  Is this safe for me?  I don't see msg, sulfates, or carageenans but I'm still not sure because of the dextrose.  I read in the whole 30 book that salt has dextrose in it and salt is acceptable?

No, sorry Rosie, dextrose is sugar and that sausage is out.

The "dextrose in sugar is ok" point from the book is the one single solitary exception to sugar because it's pretty much literally impossible to find table salt without it, and it's not even listed on the ingredient list, it's more just a little-known-fact of the salt manufacturing process.

All those products that say "contains less than 2% of XXXX" are non-compliant if XXXX is non-compliant.

Hello All, 

I'm starting my 3rd whole30 tomorrow as well. Found whole30 last year around this time when I knew I needed to make a major change in my lifestyle. I loved whole 30 did everything right..... continued to eat whole30 for most of the summer lost 40lbs and was feeling better then I had in a long time. Then in October I was diagnosed with breast cancer.... Have had a double mastectomy, had 8 rounds of chemo, and I am about to start radiation. I have gained weight and even though everyone keeps telling me "it's ok", and that I shouldn't be worrying about my weight now", I am worried about it and more importantly about how I feel. I know radiation is going to zap a lot of my energy and I am hoping that getting back on track with whole30 will make the next 6 weeks a little easier. 

Susabella, I am so sorry to hear about your health challenges right now.  I admire you for taking charge of your health and preparing your body to be as healthy as it can be to fight both the radiation and cancer.  I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best.  

Started this morning :) It's already April 1st here, although I know I am several hours ahead of most of you. I'm proud of myself because this time I am following the "no-pseudo creamer" rule. Last time I made the date paste creamer, and also was happy with just a ripe banana blended with coconut milk. My argumentative side wants to say that  it's not a big deal, but it still isn't technically compliant.

And "drinking your coffee black is. not. hard." right?! So, I'm going with just coconut milk this morning, and it's actually ok! And I am the kind of person who typically likes a little coffee with my cream and sugar, so this is huge :)

i think it helps that for the last few weeks I've been just doing my coconut milk/banana creamer, not regular milk and sugar.

Was anyone else stunned by their spice cabinet? I had to throw over half of mine out! There was even sugar in my lemon and pepper blend!!! Why, why, why is there sugar and words I can't pronounce in spices and seasonings?

I learned this lesson when I had to be strict dairy-free while nursing my son. Dairy is a filler in SO MUCH stuff it's incredible.

I'm happy to say that I am beginning my first Whole30 tomorrow, April 1st :) I'm nervous and but excited to be doing this. One of my friends began her Whole30 nearly two weeks ago and she's doing well! One of her secrets is to eat a piece of fruit if you're feeling rundown midafternoon. She says it helps. I'm hoping my husband will be supportive through this. He's not too thrilled with going "all in" like I am. I have some hormone-based health issues and I'm hoping this will put me on the path to balance. Here's to a healthier me! Good luck to everyone!

Welcome everyone, and good luck! If you haven't cleared out your cabinets yet - do it tonight! It has definitely helped me to not have the option when I get lazy or have cravings. I don't really eat egg breakfasts, so they are my go-to "nothing looks good today" lazy meal.

I came to the Whole30 originally for weight loss, but I am also fighting some auto-immune stuff. My first was an AIP Whole30 and I saw big improvements in my psoriasis. This time around I am fighting off a nasty bout of erthyma nodosum (painful red welts on my shins) and hope to get some relief. I'm doing a "normal" Whole30, but limiting the nightshades.

It was super easy. Took a total of roughly 5 mins. I used salted butter since I plan on not using any additional salt in my meals, placed it in a deep sauce pan and left it on min until it melted and started a slight boil then I poured the 'butter' off the milk fat into a butter dish and that was it. It was honestly a lot easier than I had anticipated.

I actually make ghee in a small crock pot. It's super easy and requires ZERO paying attention. If you prefer clarified butter you could do that too, just scoop out the milk proteins along the way.

I know some of y'all have already stated but where are y'all from? I'm down south in Jackson, Mississippi. I think I may be the only person from mississippi doing this! Hahaha!

I'm from Central Pennsylvania.

Hi, all, 

I am going to unsubscribe from this forum. Just because it's getting so big and it's a little too much for me to stay on top of with everything else I have going on… I literally received 22 emails in one day on this forum alone. I am also going to try to limit my screen time because since taking on the directorship at the clinic I where I work my day has gotten 5 times longer with all the extra paperwork that has to get done. At this point I am up to working like 60 hours a week and that leaves very little time to shop, cook, prepare, plan, run, do yoga, meditate, spend time with my family, and keep up on house chores! The modern day women, eh?! Anyway, I just want you all to know that I am cheering for you all and I will check back in from time to time to see how you are all doing. Your support is tremendous! If I feel myself needing that extra bit of encouragement I will definitely log on again and post on here. Good Luck to you all!!!

I'm sorry to see you go. I realized just this week that you can subscribe to get a daily feed, rather than an email for every single post. That has certainly made it feel less overwhelming to catch up. Good luck on your journey!

Started this morning :) It's already April 1st here, although I know I am several hours ahead of most of you. I'm proud of myself because this time I am following the "no-pseudo creamer" rule. Last time I made the date paste creamer, and also was happy with just a ripe banana blended with coconut milk. My argumentative side wants to say that it's not a big deal, but it still isn't technically compliant.

And "drinking your coffee black is. not. hard." right?! So, I'm going with just coconut milk this morning, and it's actually ok! And I am the kind of person who typically likes a little coffee with my cream and sugar, so this is huge :)

i think it helps that for the last few weeks I've been just doing my coconut milk/banana creamer, not regular milk and sugar.

Congrats on your start and your victory over pseudocreamers! Keep us up to date on your journey! Were you ever able to get eggs and mince?

I learned this lesson when I had to be strict dairy-free while nursing my son. Dairy is a filler in SO MUCH stuff it's incredible.

Those "anti caking agents" are what aggravated me! Whatever happened to good ol fashion unprocessed food!!!

I plan to start tomorrow as well! I've been noticing how much worse I feel when I eat grains and dairy but haven't had the motivation to quit them or cut back on my own. Hopefully following a program like Whole30 will help me out. Looking forward to checking in with everyone as we go through this together!

I plan to start tomorrow as well! I've been noticing how much worse I feel when I eat grains and dairy but haven't had the motivation to quit them or cut back on my own. Hopefully following a program like Whole30 will help me out. Looking forward to checking in with everyone as we go through this together!

Welcome! Glad to have you here with us!

Starting April 1st as well. What's the best way to get started for a newbie? Should I make a meal plan and go get a week's worth of groceries or should I go get a bunch of groceries that fit the recipes? I'm 100% in, just bought the book, but I don't really know how to get started. Once I'm on track, there's no stopping me, but what's the best way to get into a weekly routine going?

Also, how does Whole30 work for daily CrossFit style workouts? Do I just need to add an extra meal?

Starting April 1st as well. What's the best way to get started for a newbie? Should I make a meal plan and go get a week's worth of groceries or should I go get a bunch of groceries that fit the recipes? I'm 100% in, just bought the book, but I don't really know how to get started. Once I'm on track, there's no stopping me, but what's the best way to get into a weekly routine going?

Also, how does Whole30 work for daily CrossFit style workouts? Do I just need to add an extra meal?

I can't speak for anybody but me, but I plan a weeks worth of meals and get enough food to cover all of it. I plan a menu and don't do a big cook up because I'm a stay at home home and have time to "hang out" in the kitchen. Do what fits your schedule, lifestyle and and workload. As far as exercise, this will be my first whole30 with actual physical activity so maybe someone else can help you.

For some the weekly cook ups help, for others it doesn't. From what I understand the pre and post workout meal are very important.

Anyway, we are glad to have you for the WholeApril! Welcome!

Hello All,

Susabella,

My mother did the first Whole30 with us as a recovery from breast cancer treatment, and it worked to help her recover like magic. I hope it helps you as well. And I hope it helps your spirits to have such a great support system from this thread. I'm rootin for ya darlin!

I'm in for an April 1st start. This is my 2nd time around, I completed my 1st Whole30 about 1.5 yrs ago and am looking forward to improving my relationship with food, things have gotten a bit out of control and I'm hoping to get back to a more sustainable place in my life and health. I look forward to your support and helping me with my accountability. 

Thank you!

-Nicole

I'm in for an April 1st start. This is my 2nd time around, I completed my 1st Whole30 about 1.5 yrs ago and am looking forward to improving my relationship with food, things have gotten a bit out of control and I'm hoping to get back to a more sustainable place in my life and health. I look forward to your support and helping me with my accountability.

Thank you!

-Nicole

Welcome Nicole! Thanks for joining us!

Congrats on your start and your victory over pseudocreamers! Keep us up to date on your journey! Were you ever able to get eggs and mince?

Thanks! Yes, I got both :) Our store is about to close for a week, so I might have gone a bit overboard - 2 cases of eggs (18 dozen) and 6kilos (over 12 pounds) of mince. I just needed to know I wouldn't run out of protein, and feeding a family of 7, I know how easily it can happen.

Archived