April 1st!!

Debr

Welcome Day 2! Dinner went off without a hitch last night and we all ate heartily! However after cleaning the kitchen, I was DYING for a glass of wine, so I had some hot tea and put myself to bed. Day 2 started off smoothly so let's see how the rest of the day goes, it's Saturday, so it's a big day in my house!

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my first slip today, but I'm feeling ok about it. Communion Sunday at church, and I didn't think about it until the bread was dissolving in my mouth. There really are no compliant substitutes here though, so I think I would have chosen to participate, even if I had thought about it first.We only have communion once a month, so it's not something that will come up often.

Thinking about you all as most of you start Day 3 in a few hours :) How is everyone feeling?

I'm ending day 3 tonight, and doing well for the most part. The slightest touch of a headache, which may build into something else by tomorrow, but we'll see. Tomorrow will be my first social challenge. I'm part of a monthly ladies book club. We always do a potluck meal. I'm bringing compliant taco salad, but I will be surrounded by enchiladas and other yummy stuff. And afterwards I'm attending a movie marathon, and we were encouraged to bring "Snacks or drinks to share." I think I will probably just not bring anything, and bring myself a fourth meal that includes fruit. I'm sure I'll survive ;)

I hope people don't get tired of my frequent posts. I'm trying not to make a huge deal about Whole30 in my day-to-day life or on facebook, as the few people I've talked to about it have acted concerned since I'm pregnant. It's nice to have a place to talk about the successes and challenges, and keep myself accountable.

"Tomorrow will be my first social challenge."

I struggle with social events also...especially visiting my parents. My mom means well but she is a "I feed you because I love you" kind of person. I feel guilty not eating what she prepares! She has started giving me menu options before we visit so that has helped.

HealthyforPNG, do you have a recipe for taco salad? I need a good seasoning for taco meat. I have not checked to see if our mix is compliant.

My biggest struggle right now is not weighing myself. I need to hide the scale! I have not weighed since Day 1 but the scale keeps calling my name! I have been weighing daily for years so it is a hard habit to break.

I made mayo for the first time last night. My 6-yr old daughter said it was better than the stuff from the store!! MOM win!!

Hope everyone has a great Day 3!

With the removal of processed and packaged products, you're likely removing the majority of the salt in your food. Salt is actually a necessary item for your body so we do recommend that you salt your meals. If you don't and you're eating meats, veg and fat, you will become sodium deficient and can experience headaches, blood pressure problems etc... Just something to watch out for :)

Beginning of day 3 and things are going well so far. My only hiccup so far is remembering to pack enough food to last a full 12hr shift especially on those super long 18hr days but I've managed to survive two of those days by drinking natural coconut water when I felt hungry.

The one thing I've noticed is that I've become very hesitant to buy restaurant meals cause im not sure of the ingredients in them. It's my first round of Whole30 and 3 days in I've definitely noticed the difference in how I feel when I wake up in the morning even though my first two days were super long days. I'm not tired, my body doesn't feel as 'heavy' and my eyes don't burn as much as they did before. I'm LOVING this challenge so far especially because it's forcing my inner chef to shine.

Hi all, 

I'm a little late to the thread party, but I started April1 and wanted to introduce myself! I'm a 29 yo female who leads a moderately healthy life, but I've noticed some negative trends the last couple years that I wanted to nip in the bud, namely boredom eating, stress eating, and convenience eating. I feel like I'm just too young to feel this achey and tired and bleh. So hoping the Whole30 will change the way I approach and manage my food and health!

With 2 days under my belt, I'm feeling pretty good. No hangover feeling. No tiredness. I definitely have an ingrained drive to snack, but I overcame it. I hope the maintains. Bring on day 3!

I made mayo for the first time last night. My 6-yr old daughter said it was better than the stuff from the store!! MOM win!!

Glad your first mayo was a success --- that's a good omen! :)

but I've managed to survive two of those days by drinking natural coconut water when I felt hungry.

Are you bringing more solid food now? You want to be having "mini meals" of protein & fat during those situations, not drinking juice.

"Tomorrow will be my first social challenge."

I struggle with social events also...especially visiting my parents. My mom means well but she is a "I feed you because I love you" kind of person. I feel guilty not eating what she prepares! She has started giving me menu options before we visit so that has helped.

HealthyforPNG, do you have a recipe for taco salad? I need a good seasoning for taco meat. I have not checked to see if our mix is compliant.

My biggest struggle right now is not weighing myself. I need to hide the scale! I have not weighed since Day 1 but the scale keeps calling my name! I have been weighing daily for years so it is a hard habit to break.

Hope everyone has a great Day 3!

I'm thankful we don't have a lot of family close right now, honestly. Sometimes that's hard, but when it comes to food issues, it's certainly easier. My mother-in-law is incredibly sweet, but when I was dairy and soy free, it was awful. I could ask specific questions, and then be halfway through eating something and she'd say, "Oh. it's marinaded in Dale's. That's ok, right?" First ingredient: Soy. #sigh

I'll post the taco seasoning in a bit. It's really not hard :)

Hooray for homemade mayo, and it's wonderful that your little one liked it!! That's always a win.

My pickest eater, who hates eggs, ate scrambled eggs last night and voluntary chose to have saueteed greens as well. Whhhaaaat?! I'll call it a win. I'm not doing Whole30 with the kids, but feeding them as many compliant things as i can get them to eat.

I started today April 3rd, so I am a few days behind. It is myself and my Mom and Dad who are trying this out. I have some digestive issues I want to nip in the bud, my Mom has some major surges in her future and was told she needs to shape up for the recovery and my Dad just got told he is pre diabetic. I am 40 and they are both in their late 50's. Tonight we had a soup we put together the old fashion way. We boiled down several root and stems from out extra veggies and created a very bland base with zero added spices. 

It made a very large pot of murky tasteless funny smelly broth. (save the stock of other soups) But then that was the plan lol. For dinner I cut up some cauliflower, broccoli, chives, a few small potatoes, mushrooms and julian carrots. I pan fried a flank steak rubbed lightly with salt and pepper and onion flakes till it was med-well and sliced it very thin, all of this I added in its cooking order to three cups veggie swamp water and added 2 cups of low sodium beef broth. We added some garlic powder as well as some Garlic Herb no salt blend. We also added some water to the steak pan while was still hot and made sure to add that stock to the pot as well. 

While it was no Campbells Soup it was still satisfying and a great way for us to start. The way we figure it is that its only going to get better after this right? lol We will learn as we go and it felt fantastic to know what was going into my food 100%.

We had eggs and apples for breakfast and fruit and veggies for lunch with some cashews.

I feel good about this and if i can keep my Mom from adding one more * thing I can't live without * to her list and keep my Dad from thinking we are all going to die from eating *Paleo - the diet that killed the Neanderthals* I think it will be a great way to focus our minds on our bodies and our wellness.

I need a good seasoning for taco meat.

I'll post the taco seasoning in a bit. It's really not hard :)

A while back @ladyshanny gave me her recipes, so I'll share them here:

TACO

1 tbsp chili powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp paprika

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp starch (arrowroot, tapioca, potato, whatever)

FAJITA

2 tbsp chili powder

4 tsp cumin

2 tsp sea salt

1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp cayenne

1 tsp starch

Thanks, Marjanill.  I had read that before, which is how I knew I was doing something anti-Whole30.  In some areas, I agree with her, but i do IF for the mitochondrial benefits, which she doesn't mention here...

Interesting, sf. I was just listening to one of the first Primal Blueprint podcasts where Steve Levine was discussing this whole thing.

Hello all

Well it is day four and I have to admit I am feeling really, really good.  I know it is early for such a revelation but it is true.  I know the timeline well because I have done a few of these (on #10 since 2012) but the last two months were very, very poor eating for me and I have suffered for it.  

I was having severe indigestion/heartburn, poor sleep and general "crappyness of feeling" (that is a technical term).  Last week when I told my wife that I was going back to structured eating following W30, her surprising response was "thank God".  Here I think I am being "fun" when I eat of plan and eat more like the rest of the family.  I always learn something through this process and my wife shared that my whole focus changes.  When I am off plan, our spending is way up (purchased lunches, "take-out" meals, and convenience), our collective meal planning suffers, we all end up eating less healthy and our household is very unpredictable (if you leave food around... I will eat it ("Where did those licorice Nibs go" - Oh Dad!!!)).

I know my perspective changes... Off plan, I am driven by food... What can / will I eat next?  Much of my day and especially the evening is centered around eating.  When on W30, my day is about doing things, achieving things and quality of life.  The power of the change of focus always amazes me.  I am almost two different people!

Yesterday:

M1 - Three poached eggs, Sweet potato mash (with veggies and ground pork) and an apple

M2 - Leftover W30 Chili

M3 - Lamb Chops, baked Potato, grilled asparagus

Today:

M1 - Three poached eggs, Sweet Potato Mash

M2 - W30 Compliant sausage, Cabbage/kale salad with walnuts (EVOO / Balsamic), and apple (planned)

M3 - Chicken thighs and salad (planned) 

Hope you all are making positive steps and headaches are not too bad.  Yesterday was a headache day for me but I also have to note that my sleeping has been very challenged the last week (working on a big deadline for work and often getting only between 3-4 hours sleep).  For example, on Saturday night-Sunday AM, I was up until 4:30 AM working on my project.  Fortunately, my project is now pretty much wrapped up so it should be a little more normal here.

Cheers

DJ

DJ now having done 9 in the past, what do you think is "not clicking" so that between W30's you have trouble making sustainable changes? Have you done full reintros and learned anything about specific ingredients?

Hi All!  

I'm late to the party, but started my first Whole 30 on April 1st!  I started transitioning into the Whole30 ways a week ago today by quitting my diet coke habit (hardest part for me by far) & lessening the milk/sweetener in my coffee each day!  I also gradually started cutting grains & dairy from my meals.  I think this has helped me have less harsh "symptoms" the first few days. 

As for a quick intro.....I'm originally from Kentucky & now live in New York.  I'm getting married 5/28.  My reason for doing the Whole30 isn't so much a last minute effort to lose a few pounds before the wedding but more about the fact that I KNOW I feel more confident in general when I'm taking excellent care of my body.  I also have struggled with jumping from diet plan to diet plan & know I need a re-set to get back to the basics of sound nutritional food choices. 

The first few days haven't been as hard as I anticipated; however, I did struggle with some lethargy & nausea over the weekend.  It's day four today, and I already feel much better!  

I look forward to sharing in this journey with you all! 

DJ now having done 9 in the past, what do you think is "not clicking" so that between W30's you have trouble making sustainable changes? Have you done full reintros and learned anything about specific ingredients?

Well how much time do you have...

Lets put on some rolling seas background noise and I will lay down on the couch and see what comes from it....LOL.

I am a all or nothing kind of person.  Not always the best for following a plan that includes "moderation".  I actually wrote to Melissa on this in the first ever "Dear Melissa - Blog Post".  I continue to "struggle" with this.

I have tried longer W30's (W60 and even a W93) but at some point in time... life happens and I don't have a particular great means to stay deviate from the rules for say... Grandma's family recipe cookies "a special treat worth the deviation (according to Melissa - Post W30 of course) and then just get back on the program.

When the dam has a crack in it (I off-road) without the rules, I have a hard time doing the 80-20 program or jumping in and out of the program as social occasions dictate.  I am no a stupid man (not Einstein either) but the chemistry of food and blood sugar and insulin, etc... are powerful.  I am still trying to learn good responses to social, nutritional and "real life" situations, when I am not on the program.  

For now, W30 is a rule-based safe haven that I have returned to to help repair the damage caused over the last few months!

Likely much more on my psyche later.

Cheers

DJ

Day 2.

I like reading everyones posts and hearing about how beneficial this program is. I refuse to think of it like a diet. I am thinking of it more like a treatment, something that has a 30 day cycle and once I am at the end I am done, but not before.

Today for breakfast I made Spicy Egg Muffins. I made the Chorizo myself ( sooo flippen easy and gratifying) It was really very good. So far the biggest realization for me is that not everything is supposed to taste like heaven in a bottle. Food is natural and full of flavor all on its own. I have to get used to a more bland menu and i mean that in a positive way. NO MSG- SALT-ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS AND COLORS ect...

Lunch will be the left over steak from last night and for dinner I am doing a slow cooker roast chicken but with chicken breast instead of a whole chicken. We should have plenty of left overs for tomorrow. I am trying to find slow cooker options for most of my days as if I leave it up to my parents we will likely have pizza or chicken fingers lol. Seeing as I work 5 days a week its gong to be a challenge to find meals they want to cook as well as eat on the days I can't mange to get the crock pot going. 

If anyone has idea or suggestions for crock pot whole 30 I would be great full - Have a good day everyone and good luck!!!

I'm doing alright, but realized I might need to get better about prepping things and carrying them with me. I'm pregnant and have planned for mini meal at 10am. Both yesterday and today I've had crazy mornings. I think I need to prep the mini meal and put it in the fridge so I can grab it. Even simple things like peeling a hard boiled egg and cutting up some fresh veggies will help a lot.

I thought I had done pretty good at meal prepping but it turns out I was not super prepared. I'm getting there though. 

Archived