April 1st!!

Debr

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is the day to get started it looks like.  I am excited to get started today.  It has been about two years since I last did the program and I only did it for 30 days, that has to change this time.  My pantry is loaded up with good foods and I have cleared it out of the other stuff.  Good luck to all of us!

I am starting April 1.  First Day - yay!  I did a whole 30 in february and saw the changes.  I went back and the sugar dragon came back with a vengence.  I'm now experiencing feeling bloated, tiredness, bad nights sleeping.  I just want to get back focused. 

Starting today as well.  I wasn't fully committed until I had the worst sinus headache of my life last night.  I'm working midnights tonight, so am currently drinking my black coffee while bone broth is cooking in my InstaPot!

Today is Day 1 for me also!  I just finished my first Whole30 on March 22nd, and after a round of introductions, I'm ready to dive right back in!  

I'm a breastfeeding mom of a 21 week old, and was curious if what I was eating was causing issues with my little one.  I suspect a slight dairy sensitivity for him.

I also wanted to get my cravings under control.  Pre-whole30, I was constantly ravenous, and often turned to things that weren't very nutritious.  I am very happy with how I felt during the last month, and want to continue eating the most wholesome foods I can for the health of not only me but my baby as well.

I live in Alaska, and have always loved to cook and play around in the kitchen.  

HealthyforPNG, I don't live near a Walmart either.  My town is only accessible by boat or plane.  I thought I lived in the boonies, until I read your posts!  We have 3 options for groceries in town, and I often visit at least 2 when I shop.

This is such a large group,  I hope I can keep up with everyone!!  If not, know I'm rooting for you!  You got this!  :D

How is everyone doing? My breakfast went well but work got hectic (I work in a bank... it's Friday and the 1st of the month... a bankers worst nightmare) and for lunch I wasn't even able to sit down and have a proper meal, plus we were out of paper plates so I was stuck eating out of bowls. I'm looking forward to getting off work and making dinner with my boyfriend (we are having salmon and roasted veggies). Hope everyone is having a better time than I am. 

Hi, I started April 1st too. I'm in Oz, so it's now April 2: made it through the first day, tho I had a massive migraine by last night, which is still a heavy headache today. Haven't had a migraine in ages, so it was tough to get through but I made it. Hoping it clears more today.

How is everyone doing? My breakfast went well but work got hectic (I work in a bank... it's Friday and the 1st of the month... a bankers worst nightmare) and for lunch I wasn't even able to sit down and have a proper meal, plus we were out of paper plates so I was stuck eating out of bowls. I'm looking forward to getting off work and making dinner with my boyfriend (we are having salmon and roasted veggies). Hope everyone is having a better time than I am.

I have been essentially in the same boat as you, joleybelle. Breakfast went great, all down hill from there. Haha. Hopefully I can knock out an awesome supper to rebuild the momentum! We are having chicken thighs with oyster mushrooms in mustard sauce with roasted sweet potato cubes and steamed fresh broccoli!

I'm doing alright, but realized I might need to get better about prepping things and carrying them with me. I'm pregnant and have planned for mini meal at 10am. Both yesterday and today I've had crazy mornings. I think I need to prep the mini meal and put it in the fridge so I can grab it. Even simple things like peeling a hard boiled egg and cutting up some fresh veggies will help a lot.

Meal prep is key for me as well! Today went ok but I was crazy tired mid-afternoon. I made a batch of beef bone broth tonight and am going to make a double batch of chicken meatballs tomorrow. I am also planning to try my hand at mayo because I need something other than oil and vinegar on my salads! We will see how much I really get accomplished this weekend since my husband is out of town and my two sweet babies love mom's time (and I love time with them)!!

Today went well, but I had a snack at 4PM.  I would like to eliminate that, but if I don't it isn't the worst thing ever.  I am used to tea and a little something at that time.  It is more of a relaxing ritual than anything else.  

I have a question, though.  I have successfully been intermittent fasting for about six months.  I tried it many times before, but my body was not healed so it didn't work.  Now, I sleep great, my monthly cycle is on track, my adrenals are fine, etc.  I have an 11-7 eating window.  Yesterday, in preparation, and today I woke up and had a breakfast.  Not a huge one, but way more than I am used to having.  I don't even have coffee or anything.  I work out at 8:45 and both days I felt awful.  Not only full, but I just felt weighted down, so I did not perform my best.  I know Whole30 says not to IF, but if I am an experienced IF'er, and I am not doing it just to restrict calories, do you think it is OK to continue intermittent fasting?  After many years, I know that I am really only successful if I do work out at 8:45, so changing that won't work for me. 

TIA for the advice/opinions.

Hey lovelies! I started March 30th (signalling the end of March Break for me!) so I am joining you! I live in a really remote area with a crummy produce/meat selection BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN IT IS IMPOSSIBLE! So, if I whine about the lack of cherry tomatoes, remind me that today I was able to purchase yuca and kale in the Arctic!

I am a teacher and in my first year of teaching, I gained 60 lbs- oops! I lost it all in 2013 but gained about half of it back- so at least my yo yo is getting smaller. I am getting married this summer and I am loving the Whole 30, as I did a wee trial run of it in the end of February.

I'm also considering doing a Whole 50, right through to the May long weekend, as I am a Maid of Honour in May. We shall see- beast mode, activated!

Well, I accomplished the most important part of my second Whole30 today. I went to the gym and purchased a punch card. It's a start . . . .I'm looking over the classes to see which one's I can do without damaging myself. I was thrilled to see they have quite a few for seniors. I hope they aren't all done from a chair. I'm not THAT old, yet. ;-)

sf_treat I think with your history of IF and your perspective about how it integrates with Whole30 means you will probably be okay sticking with your 16:8 schedule.

Peruse the article Marjanill just to have the official stance, but I think Melissa makes some strawman arguments and also exagerrates some potential concerns.

I've done IF for years now, and several W30s. My catch phrase is, "Whole30 tells me what to eat, IF tells me when to eat."

End of Day 2, and I think I'm aleady seeing that the biggest challenge will be finding enough variety to not get grumpy. I don't feel bad (knock on wood!), but eggs are often my only available protein until dinner. Eggs for breakfast. Eggs for my minimeal. Eggs for lunch.

Tonight I'm roasting two chickens, and I know my family well enough to know that they will devour everything I put on the table. So, I'm planning to pull aside some chicken for salads for a few days *before* I put it out. Hopefully that will help a bit with the egg burn out :)

HealthyforPNG, I don't live near a Walmart either.  My town is only accessible by boat or plane.  I thought I lived in the boonies, until I read your posts!  We have 3 options for groceries in town, and I often visit at least 2 when I shop.

This is such a large group,  I hope I can keep up with everyone!!  If not, know I'm rooting for you!  You got this!  :D

Ha! I guess its all about perspective :) I do have the advantage of a good local market with fresh produce 3 mornings a week. and it is all very affordable.

Thanks, Marjanill.  I had read that before, which is how I knew I was doing something anti-Whole30.  In some areas, I agree with her, but i do IF for the mitochondrial benefits, which she doesn't mention here.  I fit most, if not all of the guidelines she lays out for those who would be good candidates for IF.  I am going to continue.  I do it five days a week, and weekends are an eat when you can type thing, due to the kids's schedule.  This usually means eating breakfast before heading out.

Kirkor,  I love your catch prase.

Hey everyone....

Well  a few things about me.  this is my 10th (I think) W30 and I love the way I feel when I eat this way.  I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.   I did my first W30 back in 2012 and it changed my life.  

I still struggle in my off plan times and I just had a bad couple of months of poor eating and some injuries that hurt my ability to do any meaningful exercise. Therefore, I am in need of another W30 reset.

I did start yesterday (April 1):

M1 - 3 poached eggs, 1/2 banana and sliced cucumber with salt and EVOO,

M2 - leftover steak, apple, Large cabbage/kale salad with walnuts, EVOO and balsamic vinegar.

M3 - 3 chicken thighs, Large cabbage/kale salad with walnuts, EVOO and balsamic vinegar.

I am a fan of keeping it pretty simple.  I do a lot of poached eggs, I love my lunch and dinner salads and I rotate a lot between steak, chicken, lamb and pork as my protein of choice.  I love W30 chili (without beans), paleo meatloaf and I mix in a few Well Fed recipes here and there. I do a bit of a Sunday cook off to make some staples for the week (like sweet potato, ground pork and veggie mash). I am not a fan of making 10 complex recipes a week.  Too much "new" recipe work is hard on the wallet, results in lots of dishes and kitchen burnout is the end result.  I try to KISS.

The first week or so may have some difficult moments.  Believe me they are well worth it.

Cheers

DJ

Started this morning :) It's already April 1st here, although I know I am several hours ahead of most of you. I'm proud of myself because this time I am following the "no-pseudo creamer" rule. Last time I made the date paste creamer, and also was happy with just a ripe banana blended with coconut milk. My argumentative side wants to say that  it's not a big deal, but it still isn't technically compliant.

And "drinking your coffee black is. not. hard." right?! So, I'm going with just coconut milk this morning, and it's actually ok! And I am the kind of person who typically likes a little coffee with my cream and sugar, so this is huge :)

i think it helps that for the last few weeks I've been just doing my coconut milk/banana creamer, not regular milk and sugar.

Back in 2012, before my first W30, I was lots of cream and sweetener in my coffee.  I changed this cold turkey and went black coffee in August 2012 (my first W30).  it took about a week but I have not had anything in my coffee (dairy, bulletproof, pseudo-creamer or otherwise) and no sweetener additions either.  I don't think I will ever go back to additions in my coffee.  Black is my new normal and you will get there in with a little effort.

Cheers

DJ

Oh... and last night, after Day 1, I had a dream that I was eating an entire loaf of bread.  In the dream I suddenly remember that I'm doing Whole30!  So I am pleased to find that the program has seeped into my unconscious.  Equally pleased to find it was just a dream!

Archived