April 1st!!

Debr

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just joined the forum to see if anyone else will be starting April 1st, and lo and behold… here you are!! 

My name is Renée, I am a physical therapist with some of my own health issues… I am hoping that this lifestyle change will improve things for me, so that I can focus on my patients instead of being a patient. 

Who are each of you? Why are you starting the Whole30? What do you hope to gain from this experience? Or lose for that matter!? Have any of you tried this before? Or any other similar style of eating?? 

I was "primal" under the direction of Mark Sisson for about 9 months in 2013, but I have been struggling to get back to it ever since, and each time I try to start fresh I end up failing. I am hoping that a new, but similar, philosophy/perspective will re-inspire me. 

I look forward to having your support and giving my own support to each of you throughout the month of April! 

Thanks to each of you! 

I'm in for Apr 1. Looking forward to completing the challenge while changing my lifestyle and possibly breaking my weight loss plateau. I haven't officially started the challenge but I'm learning so much already. Gonna make my fist attempt of making clarified butter today.

• Moderators

Can you share your experience with making clarified butter?? I would love to learn how to do that. Butter is really difficult for me to give up!!

Google is your friend here. There are dozens of amazing videos online for how to make ghee/clarified butter. Sometimes watching the videos is great if you haven't done a cooking technique before because you can see what 'it' is supposed to look like.

I'm finishing my 1st Whole 30 Wednesday, and will be jumping back in on April 1st for my second. I've done my first with virtually NO exercise, so I plan  to add regular exercise in for my 2nd. Thank goodness there is NO Easter in April this year to get in our way!

Yogi Runner: Good luck on your surgery coming up.

I am getting a bit nervous at trying this challenge and not surviving!! Actually my daughter asked me if I would do this with her and I can't say no! And my husband is in it to win, silly guy! After Easter I am going to get serious and start preparing. Where do I start? I have the book "It starts with food" coming and will check out how to make ghee. Any suggestions on how to prepare? My downfall is lunch and snacks. Thanks for all the encouragement this next month!!!!!

Debr: A great place to start: http://whole30.com/category/whole30-101/

There are new recipes posted all the time on Whole30 recipes on facebook, and also instagram. I've been using the Well Fed and Well Fed II books. There are some great recipes there, and some great helpful hints also on her website as she does weekly meal plans for Paleo and she will tell you which ones are Whole30 compliant. Here is an example: http://meljoulwan.com/2016/01/28/paleo-dinners-cook-week-15/.

One reason I HAVE to do another Whole30, is because I haven't hardly begun to use the recipes in Well Fed 2. ;-)

I have found that what is working for me is to always have hard boiled eggs on hand and already baked sweet potatoes cut into large junks and stored in a sealed container in the fridge. I make up a bunch of cauliflower "rice," and make a bunch of zucchini noodles.  (Fortunately I was able to get a cheap spiralizer at Wal-Mart the day before I started Whole 30.) Then salad greens, and frozen veggies in a pinch. In one sitting I made up lots of patties, and meatballs out of ground pork, beef, and turkey and froze them so I can always just pull them out in a pinch and throw them on some "cauliflower rice" or zucchini noodles or a salad for a quick meal. I was able to find the compliant sausage (Aidells) at Safeway, So I keep that around, and my husband will cook that up in the mornings.

"Ingredient Plates" are great for lots of meals: http://whole30.com/2015/07/ingredient-meals/

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/06/25/great-ingredients-recipe-required/

I just made up a quick 2 week menu template on my word processor, and try to fill in as much as I can in advance. (Though there is a lot of scribbling going on there). Then I make up my grocery list from that. I do have the "It starts with Food" book and read it, and then their is the Whole 30 book and I didn't ever get that, primarily because some of the reviews on Amazon said if you were looking for the recipes, go with the Well Fed instead. So I did. Tom Denham--one of the mods here--also has a lot of recipes on his site.http://www.wholelifeeating.com/

NomNomPaleo also has great recipes, and they tend to be less involved than Well Fed.  Lunch Ideas: http://nomnompaleo.com/paleolunchboxes

I´m starting on April 1st also.  I purchased the It´s Starts with Food book and I´m trying to gather recipe ideas.  This is my first time doing anything like this so I´m alittle nervous.  I do not have anyone else in my household(husband 2 teenagers) do it but I plan on feeding them the same meals I make for myself.   ;)

I am also planning on starting April 1st - it will be my first time doing the Whole30. I work full time as a nurse, and I'm not great at meal planning so I am a bit nervous. I'm a 22 year old still living at home with my family and not everyone is on board with me. I'm trying to convince my mom to do it with me, but we'll see. I'm reading up on everything now. It will be good to have some support from these forums as well!

I have done 3 whole 30's before and every-time I screw up and eat "ALL THE THINGS" afterwards, so this year will be different and not put everything in my face-hole.

Full disclosure: I will be breaking the rules and food-logging, but also trying to do yoga everyday, so there's that.

Hi, 

I'm starting on 4/1 as well. I've known about W30 for a little bit now, but was always very weary of restrictive plans, mainly because..well...in the "quick fix" they don't work! But the past few months I've had some pretty major health issues arise and in listening more to my body, especially my gut, I keep returning to "I need a reset." 

So I join Whole30 not to lose weight, not to be a "better version of myself" (I'm already pretty amazing :) ) but to figure out what my body really needs right now in my life. 

I've told my husband and mom that I'm doing this, but the thing I'm nervous the most about is....NO SUGAR. But, as the book says -- it's 30 days and perhaps the awareness of what I learn by being without will help settle things.

So I'm looking forward to it...yes, it'll be difficult, but that's OK. Hard things are better teachers.

-RE

Hi all.

I'm excited to start April 1st! This will be my first time attempting Whole 30. I have followed a similar elimination diet, AIP (Auto Immune Protocal) and felt great even after 2 weeks. It's a more restrictive diet so I am looking forward to adding some new ingredients to my meal planning.

I ordered the Whole 30 book and will dive in to meal planning when it arrives. I plan to meal plan, shop, prep veggies, and prepare some meals on the weekends so there will be less temptation for going off course.

Looking forward to to the his journey.

Hi all!

So is anyone else eating their way through dairy & carbs right now? My mom left me a lasagna Tuesday. I'm going to probably throw it out but it's Moms lasagna! And yogurt, and like drinking milk? I'm noticing as I prepare and eat healthier those things make me feel gross.

Marijan your post was well needed for me!

Hi, I'm Britni. I completed my first W30 back in September. I felt great and made a lot of sacrifices. I didn't do a reintro and was soon back to 50%unhealthty eating during the holidays. I gave it another shot solo in January, and blew it day 17 on bags of chips. :/ I was trying to think of what made my first W30 successful. Meal Prep, keeping compliant snacks in my car, and this forum! The second try I wasn't active on here. For me, it really helps when I get outside support and fresh ideas. Things you think you wouldn't try, about day 15 you're on Amazon buying a stick blender and an Instapot!

Haha! I just had an egg mcmuffin for breakfast, two cups of coffee with heavy cream, Chex mix, cereal and we are ordering Chinese food for dinner. Pretty much binging until I can't take it any more and I will just look back and realize how gross this all was! So what kind of weird psychology is that?!?!

I'm in! My first one. I've been reading It Starts and the Whole30 book with recipes for about a month now, and I gave up sugar for Lent, so I'm feeling pretty OK about diving in. Hubs and 17 year old were going to start with me, but after thinking things through and with my Lent experience, we've decided they will take the month of April to detox a bit from sugar and junk so they won't be cold turkey for their 30. I'm looking at meal plans and grocery lists today, so I'll be ready to go on Friday. Let's do this!!!

Friday is sneaking up on me. I need to get some planning and shopping and prepping done tomorrow before the work week starts! Also I need to get my head in the game and give up my binge-fest... I keep acting like an addict... Trying to get as much sugar etc. before 4/1 as I can because I have to give it up - my addiction to sugar is very strong. I know it will just make the W30 more difficult if I don't start weaning off of all the bad stuff now - I'm sure I am going to go through some withdrawals.

Archived