April 1st!!

Debr

djoyce: How do you prepare your lamb? I've only had it in the form of gyros and obviously those are out.

I did my first sprints yesterday. Who starts sprinting when they are 60? I'm surprised I'm not more sore today than I am. I guess we will see about tomorrow.  I can definitely feel my arms from the HIIT (EXTREMELY MODIFIED) workout I did in the morning.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

djoyce: How do you prepare your lamb? I've only had it in the form of gyros and obviously those are out.

For me the miracle (OK a stretch but it sounds good) seasoning for most meats is... Dijon mustard (the kind with the seeds in it).  I know that sounds weird but there is no BBQ sauce, unless you make your own, and I put mustard on chicken, pork and lamb.  I use it on the meat directly, then I typically add chili seasoning (need to check for no sugar) and other seasonings (Costco's version of Ms. Dash, garlic powder, salt, pepper).

Mustard is a key W30 must have for me.  It becomes the base for most of my meat marinades or rubs.  Of course, some Dijon mustard's are made with wine so you need to read the label.  I don't buy any of the expensive mustard brands so wine is not an issue for me.

Feeling good again this AM...

Cheers

DJ

For me the miracle (OK a stretch but it sounds good) seasoning for most meats is... Dijon mustard (the kind with the seeds in it).  I know that sounds weird but there is no BBQ sauce, unless you make your own, and I put mustard on chicken, pork and lamb.  I use it on the meat directly, then I typically add chili seasoning (need to check for no sugar) and other seasonings (Costco's version of Ms. Dash, garlic powder, salt, pepper).

Mustard is a key W30 must have for me.  It becomes the base for most of my meat marinades or rubs.  Of course, some Dijon mustard's are made with wine so you need to read the label.  I don't buy any of the expensive mustard brands so wine is not an issue for me.

Feeling good again this AM...

Cheers

DJ

Ahh! This is so helpful! I love mustard & miss BBQ sauce.  I tried the Tessemae's and it was NOT for me. 

Yay, we made it past the Dreaded Day 11. it's all good!

We are holding on strong too. Although, I almost died laughing when I realized today my 2 year old hit the "kill all the things" phase today. I can't decide if it is the weather here or the change in his diet (he is my little meteorologist, I know what the weather will be by how he wakes up in the morning). He even told the poor dog she was ugly and to get out of his room and she's his dog! Lol! Otherwise all is well!

Feeling good here.  Playing around with better ergonomics and even standing at my desk here at work.  Little tweaks but it is interesting... Do find it harder to concentrate when I am standing up and working but I am new at this so I need to give it some time.

Food is good.  Made Paleo Meatloaf last night.  It was pretty good.  Instead of using ground up Almonds in the mix, I used ground up coconut meat. Interesting change.  Need to have leftover meatloaf tonight before I really know if I like it (meatloaf is always one of those magic meals that taste better the second or third day).

Today's Meals:

M1 - Poached Eggs, Sweet potato mash with veggies and ground pork, Banana

M2 - Sausage, roasted potato, cabbage/kale salad and apple

M3 - Meatloaf, salad and maybe some more potato.

Cheers

DJ

• Moderators

Newbie here! I have a lot of deer meat in my freezer at home, does anyone else out there eat Venison during their Whole30??

P.S. The hangover phase is REAL! :huh:

LUCKY DUCK!  Wow, that's a real winfall!  I would eat wild game every day if I had access to it!  Enjoy!

Flounder fillets in packets tonight with green beans and roasted potatoes! I actually got the flounder at the farmers market, it had just come up from the coast and the guy had to finish cleaning and filleting it before he could sell it to me!! He's going to try to catch me some sheepshead next week, we are sooooooo tickled!

Still going strong on day 13! Hope everyone else is on track! We are running low on food so I am having to get creative with meals tomorrow. We are out of greens but luckily we get our CSA box tomorrow! First trip out of town on Friday since starting Whole30. I am very nervous! Hope Day 14 goes well!!

Today's wins: Went out for a get together with friends again this morning, drank black coffee and had a great time :) Also made a yummy coconut milk ranch dressing that I am enjoying over roasted veggies and with hard boiled eggs. Yum!

Today's sturggle: We just got a package from back home. My mom is so sweet and awesome... And she sent all kinds of amazing, favorite candy that we don't normally get here :o It's easy to pass the candy in the store by, but this is a bit different. For now I've put the bag of my most favorite kind up high in a cabinet where I won't see it, and I know it is there for me later. Oy. Just the smell of it as my kids are eating it is about to kill me.

I. can. do. this. But man, this is the hardest. Harder even then when I made chocolate chip cookies for the family.

Today's wins: Went out for a get together with friends again this morning, drank black coffee and had a great time :) Also made a yummy coconut milk ranch dressing that I am enjoying over roasted veggies and with hard boiled eggs. Yum!

Today's sturggle: We just got a package from back home. My mom is so sweet and awesome... And she sent all kinds of amazing, favorite candy that we don't normally get here :o It's easy to pass the candy in the store by, but this is a bit different. For now I've put the bag of my most favorite kind up high in a cabinet where I won't see it, and I know it is there for me later. Oy. Just the smell of it as my kids are eating it is about to kill me.

I. can. do. this. But man, this is the hardest. Harder even then when I made chocolate chip cookies for the family.

Congrats on the wins, and the struggle is real! I read your post and suddenly want a candy bar that my dad used to eat on special occasions! Can I please have the coconut milk ranch dressing recipe?!?

Still going strong on day 13! Hope everyone else is on track! We are running low on food so I am having to get creative with meals tomorrow. We are out of greens but luckily we get our CSA box tomorrow! First trip out of town on Friday since starting Whole30. I am very nervous! Hope Day 14 goes well!!

Ooooohhhh, I'm super jealous! I don't get a csa box. And good luck on your trip and don't be nervous, you've got this!

Congrats on the wins, and the struggle is real! I read your post and suddenly want a candy bar that my dad used to eat on special occasions! Can I please have the coconut milk ranch dressing recipe?!?

Sorry! I made sure not to say what any of the candy was, because I figured that would just bring others down with me. It's crazy how just the name or sight of something can trigger taste and reward memories.

Here's the recipe I used as a guideline:

I didn't have everything on hand, so I added a clove of garlic, dried basil, salt, pepper, dried minced onion, and the ACV. But it was still really good, and took about 2 minutes to mix together.

Does it take anyone else forever to eat breakfast? I think it's because I've never been a breakfast eater or a morning person. A big breakfast is worth it for how I feel throughout the morning, but sometimes I look at the clock and am shocked at how long it takes me. At least 30 minutes, if not longer.My brain still fights with me sometimes, "Ewww. Eggs and veggies (or leftover chili, or...)! You don't want to eat that. Just drink coffee!!" And I have to slooowly power through that so I don't make myself gag.

Is breakfast still a struggle for anyone else? Again, it is making a huge difference in how I feel, so it's worth it, but it's definitely an annoyance.

Does it take anyone else forever to eat breakfast? I think it's because I've never been a breakfast eater or a morning person. A big breakfast is worth it for how I feel throughout the morning, but sometimes I look at the clock and am shocked at how long it takes me. At least 30 minutes, if not longer.My brain still fights with me sometimes, "Ewww. Eggs and veggies (or leftover chili, or...)! You don't want to eat that. Just drink coffee!!" And I have to slooowly power through that so I don't make myself gag.

Is breakfast still a struggle for anyone else? Again, it is making a huge difference in how I feel, so it's worth it, but it's definitely an annoyance.

I have that issue with all meals. It takes me at least an hour per meal. I remember that I had the same issue during my last whole30 but it finally got much better in the last week.

That's part of why I like IF --- not eating breakfast lets me do other stuff in the morning instead.

Ooooohhhh, I'm super jealous! I don't get a csa box. And good luck on your trip and don't be nervous, you've got this!

We just joined a CSA this spring and this is our second box. So far we are really happy! This box had watermelon radishes in it. I had been wanting to try them but was having a hard time finding them. They are really spicy but tasty! Mostly greens this time of year but that is good for me!

Our plans changed due to my Dad being sick. Bad for Dad but good for my mounting my food anxiety! We will probably go next week. Gives me more time to prepare!

• Moderators

That's part of why I like IF --- not eating breakfast lets me do other stuff in the morning instead.

IF won't help get the hormones in balance to want to eat breakfast in the morning and is not a good option for people who are trying to balance their hormones, work on three meals a day with no snacking... It is true that once one has a healthy relationship with food and their body, that IF can be useful but it's really not and shouldn't be an option that is suggested to people new to this way of eating...

There's more going on than just "breakfast = hormone repair". If someone is continually struggling to fit in breakfast, stressing to eat within a certain window of time down to the minute, wondering still after weeks if they're doing it correctly, worrying about what food to eat ... at a certain point, all that stress is going to upset homeostasis more than delaying the first meal will.

Day 15 and still going strong. Finally over the carb flu and now my energy is much better than before. I did accidentally break the no scale rule (my scale was moved from it usual corner spot so i accidentally stepped on it and just stayed on it till my weight was recorded) and was pleasantly surprised that I'm already down 5 lbs. I know I broke the rules but I couldn't resist since I was already half standing on the scale. Hoping to continue through and ultimately do Whole100

Yesterday was a hard day for some reason. I felt like my meals were perfect to the template, but I was absolutely ravenous all afternoon, which made me super grumpy. Probably #preggoproblems. Here's a look at the meals if anyone has any suggestions:

Meal 1, 7am: 1 large diced sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil, several handfuls of greens scrambled with 3 eggs in coconut oil

Meal 2, 12:30pm: 3 hard boiled eggs, a bunch of cut up raw carrots and cucumbers (probably about 3 cups worth?), 2 big scoops of homemade coconut cream ranch dressing, 1 banana

Mini meal, 2:45pm: 1 roasted chicken leg, 1 banana, more carrots. Was already feelings super grumpy by the time I ate this.

Super hungry and grumpy all afternoon.

Meal 3, 5:45pm: 1 large sweet potato with coconut oil and cinammon, a big handful of cucumbers, 3 chicken roasted chicken legs.

Even being pregnant I've typically been fine with just 3 template meals, or if I was a bit hungry and added a mini meal I felt better and was fine until the next meal.

Yesterday was a hard day for some reason. I felt like my meals were perfect to the template, but I was absolutely ravenous all afternoon, which made me super grumpy. Probably #preggoproblems. Here's a look at the meals if anyone has any suggestions:

Meal 1, 7am: 1 large diced sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil, several handfuls of greens scrambled with 3 eggs in coconut oil

Meal 2, 12:30pm: 3 hard boiled eggs, a bunch of cut up raw carrots and cucumbers (probably about 3 cups worth?), 2 big scoops of homemade coconut cream ranch dressing, 1 banana

Mini meal, 2:45pm: 1 roasted chicken leg, 1 banana, more carrots. Was already feelings super grumpy by the time I ate this.

Super hungry and grumpy all afternoon.

Meal 3, 5:45pm: 1 large sweet potato with coconut oil and cinammon, a big handful of cucumbers, 3 chicken roasted chicken legs.

Even being pregnant I've typically been fine with just 3 template meals, or if I was a bit hungry and added a mini meal I felt better and was fine until the next meal.

It looks like you might need more fat with your meals. They say that cooking fats are negligible because they are usually cooked off or left in pan. Other than that your meals look awesome.

Archived