Moving right along!

katieblue

katieblue,

I will definitely try the chorizo/plantain hash.  I've never had plantains before, so this will be interesting!  It sounds like it will be right up my husband's alley, too, as he loves anything with peppers and onions.  I'm hoping they have ground chorizo and plantains at our Giant Eagle.  Where did you get yours, Whole Foods?  That reminds me, I need to go back to the store, because hubby finished off the pico de gallo that I bought for the sweet potato fries/guac. recipe. <sigh> I know I shouldn't complain...

Oh, did you get your Iron Maiden vans?  It's funny how a new pair of shoes can be so rewarding and exciting!  I bought myself a pair of Tieks (ballet flats) as a reward to myself after finishing the 1st W30. They are pricey, and  I had been eyeing them a while, and they kept popping up on my Pinterest, (a sure sign I HAD to have them, right?)

I'm already planning on rewarding myself after this round of W30 by getting either a facial or a pedicure before the grad party.  I always do my own nails, but feel like pampering myself for a change.

You asked about the party...I think we are going to go with City barbecue again, but also make side dishes like pasta salad, fruit salad, etc. I'm a little stressed out about it.  Long story, but all my 5 children are from my ex-husband, who is notorious for just showing up to events unannounced and uninvited.  (Like he did for my older daughter's HS grad party).  The problem is I still have a good relationship with his parents and siblings.  So my kids want to invite them, but none of the kids want their dad there (except maybe my oldest son, who lives with him).  It will be SUPER AWKWARD if he shows up and starts walking around my house and yard, especially now that I am happily married and living in my "new" husband's home (I say "new," but our 5th anniversary is in July).  My husband has already said if he has the nerve to show up, he's going to be pissed, and ask him for a check for $15,000! (What he figures is his half of my daughter's college education). I'm sure that would go over well...He never offered to pay one cent towards her education.  I just don't want a scene, especially since the rest of his family is super nice, and it's not their fault he's such a loser. Also, my kids' friends will be there, some teachers I work with, etc.  

Way to go not giving in to snacking...esp. salsa (Mexican food is a real weakness for me, I love it all, rice, beans, fajitas, burritos, .......) I guess I'm lucky that chocolate doesn't really tempt me anymore since it gives me such stomach pain, but show me vanilla cake and there's real temptation!  I can totally see my husband being like Rob and wanting to eat MY cake! haha (or, he'd give it to one of the kids).  

Wendy

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like bananas, you will like the plantains! They are amazing sides to Mexican dishes – we’ve been using them as our starchy veggie source whenever we have tacos and caramelizing them by frying them in some ghee for a few mins until they are browned and crispy on both sides! I got my chorizo at Stop & Shop, but I’m sure they’ll have it at any food stores. It’s just a matter of seeing if you can find any without sugar. Otherwise, though, you could always do ground pork and do some chorizo seasoning to make it compliant! (http://honestcooking.com/authentic-homemade-mexican-chorizo/)

Also, you can totally complain about your husband eating your pico de gallo, it’s totally the same as Rob wanting to eat my gluten-free foods! They have so many more options, they should eat their own stuff! Lol!

I do have my Iron Maiden Vans now! They are amazing. I’ll see if I can upload a picture to here from my phone. Since they’re technically men’s shoes, they are slightly awkward to walk in, because the toes are a lot wider, but I don’t care at all! I mean, I’ll only wear them if it’s like a negative chance of rain! :)

I love your facial/pedicure idea as a reward!! That’s always fun and you feel so pretty afterward!

It sounds like jen and I aren’t the only ones who have complicated family drama! I can’t imagine how awkward it must be to have your ex husband just show up uninvited, especially if nobody wants them there… I think your husband is totally right in asking him for half of the college tuition, to be honest! If he wants to be a part of her life then he should be all in or not at all! But I completely appreciate not wanting to make a scene for the sake of the rest of your family… I will keep my fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly for you guys!!

Well, I've been off enjoying the sunshine. It is FINALLY summer weather here up north. I've been trying to get out jogging but am so out of shape, it's more like shuffling with excessive panting and constant stopping to fight off puking. It isn't pretty - but the only way to get in shape is to get in shape. 

Katie - Happy Birthday! late I know, but still I mean it. I for one didn't get you a cake! I wish I could see your Vans. You will need to post a picture. I'm going to Toronto in August and hoping to buy some clothes. For now it is my lady fat pants and 400 year old teeshirts. I'm sorry you are feeling so cranky these days. I find it hard to find balance between being in control of what I am eating and being too much in control. I know you want to fight your sugar dragon - but make sure you are not always depriving yourself just for the sake of it. Of course you don't need cake after cake after cake - or maybe any cake - but check in if you are miserable? Also that Rob needs to do some cooking. And I always say this, but are you eating enough? are you getting enough starch? are you getting sleep?

Katie and Jen and Colleen, thank you for being so honest about your parents. I really appreciate how you practice radical acceptance. You aren't fighting the reality of who they are and not letting them dictate your current feelings. Family's of origin are so powerful and shape us in so many ways. You are all so brave and strong and awesome for moving past that. 

Kalina - you will want to eat again. are smells making you want to die? are you wanting weirdo food you didn't expect? 

Wendy, that picture is so great! What a beauty your daughter is. So many changes for you this year!!!

Ksea I use to make my baby (Patrick) lentil stew and freeze portions in an ice cube tray. Super easy to pop out and warm up. He loved berries and avocado as a little dude. Now he eats most things. Not tomatoes. ever. EVER! (neither does his dad or brother or uncle?? freaks) He didn't really get into eating till he was 9-10 months. A woman in my mother's group use to make mini muffins with berries, coconut flour and eggs. He liked those.

I'm the same on track as I was last time. 85-90% W30. I'm not as picky about things like sugar in mayo or bbq sauce. I had pad thai for mother's day. I had berries with whipped cream on Monday. No sugar. But that didn't work well for my stomach. uggg. I'm eating beans and lentils on purpose to ease up on the meat. I hate eating as much meat as we are suppose to. 

off to go canoeing. We just bought a canoe yesterday. I hope Patrick doesn't jump out.

Ramonax, so awesome to hear that you have some nice weather!! I'm so proud of you for persisting with the jogging. It might suck now, but it will get easier, I promise! And then when you go shopping you can treat yourself to some nice things!

And thank you for the birthday wishes, and for not getting me a cake. :)

I honestly feel like I may be eating too much still... I feel like at dinner I have zero awareness of being hungry/full still, I don't get hungry after lunch so I just eat two or three helpings of whatever we're having because it's delicious and I can. I always have a starchy veggie with dinner. I did okay while eating strict Whole 30, but I've been feeling like I have had some trouble fitting in my pants again after two weeks of slow reintros. So I got on the scale yesterday, and I was up FOUR pounds. :( First thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, no clothes on, same everything as the last time I weighed in two weeks ago. It's insane how depressed that made me... I feel like I've been working SO hard and eating so well and exercising 3-4 times a week, and for some reason I'm still gaining weight. It was one thing to not be losing, but to be gaining so rapidly? My therapist thinks I should see an endocrinologist. Rob and I have a day trip date today/tonight to go to Lightscapes and have dinner at a new BBQ place nearby, but now I feel like I can't eat BBQ food, I can't eat any food, I should just eat lettuce. I know I'm being dramatic, but it's my old food anxiety/eating disorder demon grabbing at me again. :(

Glad that you got back on track! How did the pad thai treat you? And the beans?

Hope you had a fabulous time canoeing, and that Patrick stayed put!! :)

Ksea!! Last night, I made the berry BBQ sauce you posted, but instead of blueberries, I used peaches - HEAVENLY. I changed up the spicing a little, added some extra cinnamon and ginger, but I just wanted to share that it is amazeballs with peaches, too! :) We put it on some chicken thighs, AND I made what I think is a VERY close comparison to Cave's sweet potato salad with this recipe!

Hi everyone.  NC was OK.  It would have been better if we weren't staying in my MIL's timeshare.  She just does not respect my parenting decisions AT ALL, and it drives me NUTS!  She will ask me if he can have some sort of food, I'll say no, and then 10 mins later, she's giving it to him.  Arghhh!  My mom or gram might ask, but, when I say no, the conversation is over.  And then, at one point, I was trying to tell everyone that he needed a nap, and she said something about him being on vacation and sleeping when he gets home.  Um...that's not how babies work!  So glad to be home :).  I think the whole thing was exacerbated by the fact that I saw her two weekends in a row.  It's too much!  In happier news, my mom closed on the condo she and her husband bought in Myrtle Beach yesterday, so we'll be seeing them more.  I'm very excited!  They're coming next Thursday to start furnishing it and staying with us for almost a week.  

All this food talk on here while I'm catching up on posts is making me extra hungry!  I definitely need to buy plantains more often.  I made them the first week of W30 and haven't made them since.  Wendy, have you tried the sweet potato fries/guac yet?  I have to get that in my meal plan.  And peach BBQ sauce sounds great.  I'm making this peach bbq sauce recipe on Thursday.  Last Wednesday, I made this pepperoncini beef in the crockpot, and it was super easy and delicious!  The only thing I would do differently next time would be to cut the meat in half and wedge it in the crockpot to try to get as much of it covered by liquid as possible.  The beef that wasn't covered by the liquid was a bit dry when eating it right out of the crockpot.  The leftovers were less dry, though, since then it was sitting in the liquid.

Katie - I so feel for you with the weight gain!  I cannot imagine how disappointing that must be.  Maybe you should see an endocrinologist.  Just try not to let it get you too down.  Even if you're gaining weight, you're still eating really well!  How was Lightscapes?  It looks really pretty.  Which of the cold sweet potato salad recipes did you try?  The link you posted above just takes you to a Google search.  

Colleen,

I'm sorry to hear your MIL made your weekend less than wonderful.  I hate it when other people, even family, try to undermine your parenting decisions.  

I did make the sweet potato fries/guac recipe, and it was a big hit!  I cheated and used store bought frozen fries, but it was still very yummy.  I'm anxious to try both the blueberry BBQ sauce and the peach!  

katieblue, I agree with Colleen, maybe you should take your therapist's advice and see an endocrinologist.  I can't imagine how disappointing that would be to gain after all your hard work and dedication.  

Wendy

Colleen, my gosh, your MIL sounds like a pain!! I'm sorry your trip turned out to be stressful because of her. Family can really make everything so difficult to get through, sometimes... but at least now you're home and you can relax! AND great news about your mom and getting to see her more!! That's awesome and exciting! :)

Your peach BBQ sauce recipe with the pulled pork sounds amazing, and gave me some ideas on how to use my leftover BBQ sauce! We just didn't use that much on the chicken thighs and have a lot left, almost a whole mason jar full! I was thinking of making ribs again but I've got a pork shoulder in the freezer, so sounds like I might have a new plan! I love peach anything. Peaches and pecans. No wonder I loved Georgia so much. ;)

The beef looks amazing, too! Thanks for the tip about the liquid. It's funny how sometimes that happens and sometimes it doesn't! I know when I made the carnitas I was so concerned about the fact that there was so little liquid in the crock pot, but it turned out amazingly moist and awesome. I wonder what the science is behind that. Lol.

I did call the endocrinologist, just waiting for them to get back to me because I needed a referral from my doctor. I hope that we can get to the bottom of why I don't get my period and keep gaining weight no matter what I do. :( I feel a lot better about it since I have stayed off the scale for a few days; it's amazing how nasty that number can make you feel! If we just pay attention to how we feel rather than what the number says, it's a lot easier to handle knowing I'm a little bit overweight. But it does suck trying to squeeze into pants. I appreciate the sympathy, though!! <3

Sorry about the link to the sweet potato salad! This is the one that I used. :)

Katie: Thanks for the link to the sweet potato salad.  I am DEFINITELY putting that on my meal plan for one of the next weeks!  Did you just omit the maple syrup, or did you add it since you're not doing completely W30 anymore?  I'm glad you are in the process of getting the endo appt set up.  I know, for me, it always feels like a weight off my shoulders to just be in the process of taking care of something, even if it doesn't happen right away.  And good for staying off the scale!  I feel much better when I do!

Wendy: Definitely going to try those fries, especially if I can find W30 compliant ones.  I'm all about convenience, which you don't get a lot with W30 cooking, so I'll take it where I can get it!

I am definitely happy to be back in my house with my much more comfortable bed :).  And my husband, Chase, and I are going out of town just Sunday into Monday to stay with some friends in Myrtle Beach who have a 4.5 year old girl who just adores Chase, so it should be a lot of fun.  Plus, it's only an hour and 45 mins from my house, whereas the mountains in NC were 5.5 hours!  So that's a bonus, too!  Hopefully it will make up for last weekend!

I used the maple syrup in it, but I think you could still make it without it since the potatoes are sweet on their own, maybe just use slightly less vinegar. And you're right, it does feel better to know that I'm on my way to maybe getting some answers!!

I am so jealous you get to keep having these little getaways!! I hope that this one turns out much better than the last one! :)

Thanks, Katie!  Maybe I will just use a little bit of maple syrup in the recipe.  I've just gotten so used to making W30 recipes at home that I'm immediately like, "I can put maple syrup in it!"  It's funny, because it's really not THAT much sugar, and I've eaten sugar elsewhere.  My peach bbq sauce pork is in the crockpot today.  The sauce tasted pretty good when we made it last night.  I'm looking forward to trying it.

Haha, I know what you mean about the maple syrup! I was kind of hesitant myself but then I was like, "Wait. You've had maple syrup before and when it's used in a small amount in a recipe like this, it's totally different than drowning pancakes in it or something - and still better than using table sugar! Your dragon will be fine, calm down." And it really isn't an overwhelmingly sweet recipe, it's only one tablespoon! I know it wouldn't be appropriate for Whole 30, but I think for healthy eating and riding our own bikes, it's totally fine. Of course, everyone's sugar dragon is different. ;)

Definitely let us know how that pulled pork came out with the peach sauce!! I have some sauce left over and I'm debating if I should buy a rack of ribs or try to make pulled pork out of it myself!

We actually have a "Friendsgiving" style dinner planned for Saturday and I'm so excited. It's the last of my birthday celebrations; this one is getting together a group of friends to hang out and bring dishes together. I'd say about half of it is going to be Whole30 acceptable; my boyfriend and I are hosting, and therefore in charge of roasting the turkey, making the ham, mashed potatoes, and mashed turnips. Rob is also going to make stuffing, but I honestly never liked stuffing even before I was gluten intolerant, so I'm out on that one. We have friends bringing sweet potato casserole (I wanted to make it, but she wanted to, too, SO badly, so I decided to let her... I hope they're as good as mine! ;)), green bean casserole, cole slaw, dinner rolls, roasted asparagus, and a turtle cake, nutella brownies, and a pie for dessert. It's going to be a gorgeous spread, and the turkey, mashed potatoes, turnips, and asparagus will all be compliant eating, so I think I'll be sticking to those, and it will totally still be some amazing food!! I just need to remember to keep myself in check and not let another Easter dinner happen and make me ill the next day!

I was wondering, does anyone have any good ideas for ham glaze or how to cook it? We were considering putting it in the crock pot with some pineapple juice and maple syrup and just letting it heat that way, since the oven will very likely be pretty busy, even after the bird comes out!

Also, tonight for our date night, we are going to a Cajun restaurant and then to see Louis C.K., who is my absolute FAVORITE. I've seen him twice before, but Rob never has, so I'm ssssoooo excited!! I've decided to get a Creole chicken dish at the restaurant and ask them to omit the rice they usually serve it over, so it's a tomato sauce with chicken, peppers, onions, and stewed tomatoes. They pride themselves on natural ingredients and no additives, so I'm hoping it will be pretty okay - although I didn't do the usual research and call ahead and ask questions.

And then on Sunday, one of my favorite comic book series is airing as a show - I don't know if anyone else is familiar with Preacher? It's an absolutely BRILLIANT series, and I'm SO excited to see it adapted on the screen!!

So anyway, I have a super fun weekend ahead of me -- how about everyone else? How are you all doing? :)

Colleen.

I am making the pulled pork with peach bbq sauce in the crockpot today.  Looking forward to that tonight!  How did yours turn out? I'm also making the sweet potato fries w/guac, since husband is still raving about that.  

katieblue, your "Friendsgiving" dinner sounds amazing.  I hope it turns out well, and that you and your friends have a great time.  Sounds like you have a fun weekend in store! I'm not familiar with Louis C.K. or Preacher, but have fun!  :)

My husband and I are on day 21 of our 2nd W30, and both of us feel great.  I didn't really feel the "Tiger Blood" the first time, as I got really sick with bronchitis, which dragged on for 2/3 of my first W30, so it is a good feeling to have so much energy.  I was hoping to "sleep in" until at least 7:00 this morning, but my dog woke me up at 5:20, and I felt ready to get up.  I'm feeling really energetic and ambitious today, which is good since I have report cards to do, along with a bunch of other end of year teacher tasks to do.  I'm working really hard to NOT have to go back to school after our last day (May 31st), as I usually do, since the graduation party is on June 3rd at my house.  So much to do!!!

Wendy

Wendy, so glad that you guys are having a good time with the Whole30 (I can't believe you're already so far in; it feels like you just started, at least from this end!)! It's amazing to hear that you have so much energy, even waking up at 5am - and sounds like it can't have come at a better time!! My mom is a teacher so I know the end of the year can be totally hectic; we used to just steer clear of her for pretty much the entirety of June when we lived at home! Lol!

Have you noticed any other effects besides energy? Have you made anything spectacular? :)

Friendsgiving was super fun, but, I totally overdid it on the food!! Luckily I don't feel like death today, but I do feel really full still and am definitely inflamed; my stomach is blown up to twice the size it was yesterday morning! But Thanksgiving-type food, along with BBQ food, are weaknesses for me, and I think I need some kind of strategy for dealing with them! I was really proud of myself at first because I ONLY got seconds of sweet potatoes (my friend made them with pecans, brown sugar, coconut milk, and chipotle sauce she made out of a paste from the peppers and sauce that come in a can). But we sat around the table with the food in front of us for like an hour, and eventually I went back and got more because it was sitting in front of me and I knew it was SO GOOD. Same with dessert; I made these mocha bacon brownies, which were paleo and therefore gluten and dairy free, and I had one of those, but EVERYONE brought a dessert, and after a while sitting there staring at it I had a little scoop of ice cream, and a slice of cookies and cream pie, and I have no idea what was in everything but I know I ate at least gluten, dairy and soy. Gotta get back on track with the clean eating today (luckily, there isn't much leftover!) so I can try and do a proper reintroduction of soy - I'm suspicious that it is triggering me in some way, but I keep accidentally eating it with other things (I found out it was in the ginger snaps my dad used to make the gravy for my birthday dinner, too) that I know affect me, so I can't be sure. This is a tricky process! But I think maybe the most important part is I'm not being mean to myself - I had a thought like, "WOW, my stomach is HUGE today", but that was it - it's huge today. Not, "Wow, I'm enormous/disgusting/whatever horrible word I would use to describe myself normally". Just "today" this is an effect of what I did yesterday. Tomorrow it will be better because I know how to repair it and feel better. And I think that kind of mindfulness and kindness is the biggest Whole30 victory I have had.

Today, I must do homework all day while avoiding leftovers. Nobody took anything home with them, so we have a lot of stuff here! Luckily, though, my stomach being as gurgly and grouchy as it is doesn't make me feel hungry at all, so as long as I'm not sitting there staring at the leftovers, I should be good. ;)

katieblue, I love that you're not beating yourself up over indulging in desserts and sweet potatoes.  Like you said, it's just one day, and we're "moving right along."

;)

You asked if I have noticed any other effects other than energy? Well, I can see my waistline for the first time in a long time!  Another effect that was not great, but informative,was that I can only take cabbage in small doses.  Last week I made cole slaw with the W30 ranch dressing one night as a side, then the next night we had pork chops and sauerkraut, then the next evening, brussel sprouts (which I call little cabbages).  Those three days I had bloating, stomach pain, and felt really gassy (sorry if TMI).  I avoided the cabbagey leftovers the next few days, and just ate lots of fruit for breakfast and lunch, and the above symptoms went away.  I'm beginning to think onions affect me the same way, which is a shame, because my husband loves sautéed onions and mushrooms with almost everything.  

Last night, I made the pulled pork w/peach bbq sauce, which was really yummy (thanks Colleen!), along with the sweet potato fries w/homemade guac, which was a hit again.  I do believe this is the best guac I have ever tasted.  I bought a zester yesterday, and it really made a difference with the lime zest! I also bought a julienne slicer, which I'm excited to use. I want to make the recipe in the Whole 30 book with Romesco garlic shrimp with zucchini noodles.  Has anyone tried this one?  Oh, and I also made some salmon this week, which was super easy and delicious.  I just baked it in the oven, sprayed a pan with coconut oil spray, poured Tessemae's lemon garlic dressing over it, along with dried ginger, Mrs. Dash,  and some garlic cloves.  My 14 year-old (not doing the W30, but eats a lot of the recipes I make), thought it was awesome.  That was a quick, easy meal for during the week, with some baked potatoes and a vegetable.  

Today, I'm making my homemade vegetable beef soup, which will provide lots of leftovers for the week.

6 more days of school! I can do this...

Wendy

Wow, sorry to hear about the cabbage and onions - but I wonder if maybe you might be sensitive to high FODMAP foods? I know both cabbage and onions affect me in the same way, and they're in the red zone for the FODMAPs. It is really a shame, though, because they do make things so tasty. And cole slaw is like, the best cold side dish, ever.

I love that the pulled pork came out great!! I feel like you just can't go wrong with peach flavored anything. ;)

And I bet a zester makes a HUGE difference - I almost always skip that step when a recipe calls for zest of anything because of how time consuming it is! I haven't tried that shrimp recipe but it sounds lovely.

Thank you for sharing all the ideas - especially the salmon (totally my favorite fish)!!

And you reminded me I still need to try out my mandolin! Lol!

You've got this!! Six days will go by so fast! We'll be pulling for you! :)

katieblue,

Yes, I highly recommend the zester.  I always skipped that part of recipes, but with the zester it is so quick.  I got mine at Kroger, and I think it was only like 8.00.  I agree about cole slaw.  :( So sad I can't eat it like every day.  It's a joke at our house, because my 14 year-old daughter's favorite food is KFC's cole slaw (which I'm sure is NOT compliant as I'm sure it has sugar in it.) Every year for her birthday, she would ask to go to KFC for her birthday meal (just for the cole slaw, she didn't care about the chicken), and everyone else in the family would groan. "How about Olive Garden, or Red Robin, or Chipotle, or anywhere but KFC!"

I need to check out the FODMAP's. On my to do list for as soon as school and grad party are over is to read "It Starts with Food," so I can understand the science behind Whole 30.  

Good luck with all your homework.  I'll be working on report cards, so I know the feeling!

Wendy :rolleyes:

Pshh, now that I have a big girl job, 8 bucks is nothing to save me some time!! Haha. :) Thanks for the idea!

I've made a compliant broccoli slaw a few times now.  I think even if you have an issue with FODMAPs you can handle some broccoli in smaller amounts, so it might be a good alternative for you to try to regular cabbage cole slaw! I just bought two bags of broccoli slaw and used about 1/2 cup of the homemade mayo, about 4 tablespoons of pineapple juice, and chopped up some chunks of canned pineapple, and tossed it all together with salt and pepper and celery seed. I've also added raisins to it and it makes it even sweeter. It's not the same, sure, but it's good if you're a slaw fan!

I TOTALLY understand your daughter's love for the KFC cole slaw! For fast food, they do a really good job with it!! At least you don't have to blow a lot of money to make her happy on her birthday! :) Lol!

Thank you for the luck - as you can see, I am really concentrating on these discussion posts on the Drexel site right now. :P Good luck with your report cards, too - sounds like just a different kind of homework!!

Holiday long weekend here in Canada! super warm weather too. I'm getting ready for my in-laws to come on Monday. (well..I'm tying this while my husband cleans the stove :)) I hope I don't have the experience you did Colleen. Nothing worse than mother in law's questioning your parenting!

So I've been on a binge as of late. Chocolate sundae with whipped cream 2 nights in a row. My sugar dragon is AWAKE and I am paying the price. I think I can get it under control, but wanted to come here and talk about it to keep me honest. The mental tricks I do to justify eating all the things. "oh, just tonight", "It's a holiday" "I'll stop on Monday". "I'll stop on Tuesday". I barely slept last night and the night before, I woke up bloated and tired and feeling sloggy, brain foggy, no energy. uggg. One sundae is fine - was a special date night, was a treat. But the second one was not. I was just craving sugar for the sake of sugar. I ate it in front of the t.v. I'm going to focus on the fact that I'm addressing it now. phew.

Wendy - you sound so different this time around than you did the first w30 we did. I can hear it in your typing, your mood and energy! You sound great. 

Katie I'm glad you are going to a doctor about the weight gain/period. It doesn't sound right. Also waiting for a picture of the Vans!

Hey, Ramonax! We're always here to keep you honest! Lol! :)

I completely understand that continuous logic you do in your head about making it okay to just go nuts with the food; I do the same thing. I think we all do. It's part of that evil dragon. I'm sorry that you're feeling the effects now... but you're here! No more excuses! You're worth so much more than feeling so crappy! You should be feeling amazing and eating things that will help you feel that way - you're an awesome lady and we all want the best for you. You deserve it! :)

Also, best of luck with your in-laws! Do you have a good relationship with them?

I totally forgot about including a picture of my shoes - here they are!!

2wdadmu.jpg

I've not been on here in a while and there's so much to catch up on!  Glad you're all doing well and am happy to read your updates, highs and lows.  I was thinking a couple of days ago that I'd pop in here on the 22nd to congratulate all of you on 3 MONTHS of better eating!  Can you believe it's been 3 months already since we first kicked off on this journey?!?  So when you're feeling like you've overdone things or gotten too far off track, just remember, you've spent 1/4 OF A YEAR giving yourself better health and that's quite an accomplishment!  And giving yourself grace instead of punishment is one of the best gifts you can give yourself and in my humble opinion, is vital to good health just as much as food is.  It's something I'm still working on too.  :) 

In thinking about reaching that 3 month mark on the 22nd, I realized I'd not been counting the days at all in my round 2.  I started on May 1st, so it's easy to just go by the calendar, but I've not given counting days a single thought.  That surprised me!  Maybe that means that this is established as a new habit and lifestyle now??  I don't know the psychology of it, but was pleased by it none the less. 

Wendy, great to hear that round 2 is going so well for you!

Hey jen!! Nice to hear from you again! And THANK YOU for pointing out that we have been on this journey for a whole 3 months - that really puts it in perspective! We're all a bunch of badasses. :)

Also, I think it's fantastic that you aren't even counting the days on this round - that definitely has to say something significant for you! I would agree that it must be becoming habit and comfortable, rather than an uncomfortable thing that has to take a lot of focus. I can't believe you guys are already so close to being done with the second round!

I think I'm going to start another round of official Whole 30 when we get to July. I have a vacation coming up right in the middle of next month and I just don't want to have to be so picky about what we eat and won't really be able to bring prepped food with us, but I feel good knowing I'm planning to do another one officially!

Another interesting note - I was curious, so I logged my calories for the last few days, and it turns out, I'm eating way less than I thought I was. I'm actually averaging about 1500 per day, which is pretty much what all the calculators/experts say someone of my age/weight/activity level should be eating for maintenance. So it really is interesting when, even if I've felt that I was overeating, it turns out that listening to my body is actually giving me what I need, as per conventional wisdom. Some days are more, some days are less, but overall, it looks like I'm right on target according to a different school of thought, too. Just a tidbit I thought I'd share!

That is interesting about the calories. I think I'm gong to try another w30 soon too. my inlaws are here until June 12, then I travel for work until June 15. So maybe after then? In good news, I stopped the sugar train. It is so hard once the dragon has been woken up. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hey all.  I'm just about to head out of work, but I just wanted to say hi.  

I wasn't crazy about the peach bbq pork.  I thought it was just ok.  But maybe it was the peaches I used.  They weren't the best.

I did make the guac sweet potato fries last night.  I used store-bought guac, but next time I'll try the one in the recipe.  They were still delicious!  Can't go wrong with guac, sweet potatoes, and pico!  

Is a zester the same thing as a microplane?  I have one of those to do zesting, and I really like it.  Easy to use and clean up.

Ramona: Congrats on getting your sugar dragon under control!  I've noticed mine is trying to get out of hand, and I have to consciously stop eating sweet stuff!  I was craving something sweet after lunch today so bad!  But I resisted.  I did have some honey in hot water, but that was because I woke up with a sore throat.  I hope it doesn't turn into a cold, because my mom and her husband are coming to visit tomorrow.  I'm so excited!  Ramona: How are the in laws?

Ok, I have to run, but I loved catching up with y'all!  Have a great rest of your Wednesday!

Ramonax, I will be back from my vacation June 15 so I could start one around then, too... although I am nervous about the 4th of July being in there, as we generally go to a BBQ with foodies who do all kinds of amazing dishes that aren't inherently unhealthy, but probably not Whole30, and I'd hate to miss out on that. But I'll be on the mostly 30/paleo lifestyle along with you - that's kind of where I've found myself the past week or so.

Also, glad you got the dragon under control! I feel like it's just a matter of putting your foot down (and getting stuff out of your way... I know after our Friendsgiving gathering we had desserts lying around, and I ate a few bites of things the next day. But I was ashamed of myself for caving to the dragon so I threw everything else away, and viola! No more dragon today!)

Colleen, did you use fresh peaches? I know I used frozen to make mine, and it wasn't overwhelmingly peachy, it just had a little bit of peach jazz to it. :)

I think I've elected to use my pork shoulder to make a kalua pig, though, because I know everyone who talked about it was SO happy with it - and I'll use the last of my BBQ sauce to make a rack of ribs or something. We're getting a new grill because ours is half giant orange flames and half charred/caked on black stuff and our food just doesn't cook evenly AT ALL - so maybe we can try the ribs on there instead of the oven!

Does anyone have Memorial Day weekend plans?

We have a graduation party to go to on Saturday, and luckily they posted the whole menu online, so I know ahead of time there is nothing remotely paleo or Whole 30, so we are planning to just go and hang out for a little while, and then eat afterward. Honestly, chicken fingers and mozzarella sticks just don't even sound appealing to me anymore.

Then on Sunday we have a BBQ with our foodie friends who I mentioned about the 4th of July BBQs. Different hosts, but same crowd. Rob's friend Joe, whose house we are going to, has a smoker, and he is making ribs and pulled pork in it. I am SO excited - this is such a treat for us to get to have smoked meat! I'm bringing my pineapple slaw and sweet potato salad so I know there will be things I can feel good about eating as sides. 

I'm also a little conflicted, though - this gathering was put together as a birthday celebration of sorts because three of the people in the group have birthdays this month. So, me being formerly known as the baker, was requested to make this peanut butter chocolate layer cake that is kind of my baby. It's pretty much my favorite cake I've ever had (not trying to toot my own horn - I just can't get enough of the peanut butter/chocolate combo!!) and I haven't made it since my dad's birthday in August. A lot of me wants to have a piece because I think it's "worth it", but I'm not sure if it WILL be worth it - when I made the carrot cake on Easter and had a piece of that, I felt HORRIBLE the next day. So I could make it with regular flour and ensure that I won't have a piece, because eating gluten in that large of a quantity is pretty much never worth it. Or I can make it with gluten free flour and have a slice of it and see how I do. It isn't really in line with reintroductions, because it combines grains, dairy (in the frosting), soy (in the Reese's cups), and peanut butter, and a TON of sugar, all at once. It's also a very expensive cake to make so it's not like I will be making it again any time soon... I'm still going back and forth about what to do!

Archived