Late night snack attack!

Ive been off sugar for two weeks and started My Whole 30 last Monday 3/28/16. I am doing really well during the day- Im good at following rules and FEEL ALIVE!

Here is my challenge; late. night. snacking. I know I read that we aren't supposed to eat in-between meals. When I relax at the end of the day on the couch I am used to snaking, munching and thats usually my sugar time. I have resorted to chewing on almonds instead of breaking down...

does anyone else struggle with this? What did/do you do that works?

thanks - Don.

• Moderators

You just have to power through the first few nights on the couch without... eating almonds is not teaching your body that you don't give in to it's every snacky whim...

Sometimes we have to change up our routine in order to break the habit, so maybe tea on the patio, a good book in bed, bubble bath (yes, men can bubble bath!) to get through the first few days of not giving in to the habit...

What do you think you can do to push through the uncomfortable feeling of not feeding that craving?

My boyfriend had this problem, and what really helped him was making sure he ate enough at dinner so he wasn't even remotely hungry after, and also getting snack foods out of the house! Even the "healthy snacks" like almonds or fruit, if they were a trigger for him to just munch randomly, we let them go.

Evening snacking is my thing too. I am home with small children and it is my only opportunity to eat alone!

I eat my three good meals a day and when I put down my knife and fork at the end of meal three that is it, I am done. I make a herbal tea, and if evening cravings strike I have more herbal tea. I also find doing something productive - I sew, you might not, but whatever works for you - rather than just watching tv helps when cravings are bad. Or I just go to bed!!

Also I often eat my last meal at 5pm with the kids, so I am done eating by 5.30pm. I get through to 8am breakfast no problem hunger wise and actually find I sleep better and enjoy my breakfast more than on the days I eat later.

Not eating after dinner was one of the most important changes that came out of my W30 - and it took longer than 30 days to stick. When I was in the process of powering through the urge to eat mindlessly, especially while watching TV, it helped to focus on how awful it had always made me feel and how good I feel when I go to sleep with an empty stomach and wake up hungry for breakfast.

Archived