Loose stools every day, day 24

Hello, looking for some advice about why I have had loose stools for 3 weeks.

Before I began whole30, I was very regular, no loose stools. I ate reasonably clean but sugar was definitely in my diet. Now, here is a typical day:

Meal 1: 2 egg scramble with sweet potato hash, spinach, peppers, salsa and 1 thumb guacamole, plus coffee and some coconut milk (too much fat?)

Meal 2: Gigantic bowl of greens with 1-2 palm sized portions of either shredded beef or chicken with cucumbers, sweet potato hash, homemade dressing (lemon juice, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic). Sometimes I will toss leftover cauliflower rice in there

Meal 3: Spirilized zucchini noodles with 1-2 Palm sized chicken servings and 5-6 cherry tomatoes mixed with an avocado/spinach pesto (this includes half an avacado, 1-2 cups spinach, a couple cashews, lime juice, seasonings)

Usually I also do a high intensity Orangetheory workout to the tune of 550 calories at 5am. My pre workout meal is some coffee and a hard boiled egg and my post workout email is a small bowl of turkey chili with peppers, sweet potatoes, spinach, mashed cauliflower mixed in)

OH and I drink TONS of water throughout the day! Like 100oz for sure. Most of my veggies are NOT raw with the exception of salad greens and cucumbers. Occasionally I will add a closed handful of cashews to my lunch or a green apple to my post workout snack. Otherwise this...or a variation of it...is my line up every day.

Thanks all for any insights!!

Maybe the coffee?  Pre-Whole30 I could drink coffee without any problems, now it gives me the jitters and loose stools pretty much every single time I indulge in it.  Now, for me I do have a small bit of steamed milk in my coffee so it could be the dairy as well, but with how much milk I use and what I know milk does to me otherwise, I think it's the coffee.

Coffee could be your culprit as jburth has said...

Also, if I ate peppers every day I'd have very loose stools too. Any veg with a hardy skin like that can cause digestive stress, as can an overkill of spinach which you appear to be eating a lot of.

So maybe back off on the coffee, peppers & spinach for a day or two, add in a couple of alternatives & see how you go? Then add them back in one at a time to see if you can't pinpoint your culprit...

Are you eating a lot more veg than before?  It may just be taking your system awhile to adjust.  It could also be that since you're having less sugar, your gut flora is balancing out while the bad bugs are dying off and the good bugs are repopulating.  Maybe by Day 30 things will be running more smoothly.   :rolleyes:

Thanks all! Very good insights. It's remarkable to me that taking OUT the bad and increasing the GOOD could cause digestive unrest, but perhaps it is just my gut trying to figure it out. With the uptick in veggies and elimination of oats to help soak up the coffee...those could be it too. Again, thank you!!

I am also having some unpleasant  "eliminations". I have no gall bladder, take supplements to support that, and lean towards using ghee and coconut for my cooking fats. If I eat a lot of fat in my meal, pre Whole 30, there was loose and urgent. Now, not urgent, so I think of it as my gut healing and removing when needed. One thing that helps is the bone broth. It is soothing and healing for the gut. I am on day 19, so no expert, but wonder if you might add a cup of bone broth in your day.

Also, anyone have the missing gall bladder issue with suggestions? I know the coconut is supposed to not need bile for digestion.

• 1 year later...

I'm on my second Whole30, and same as last time, I only have loose stools. I do go once a day, but can't remember the last time I had a solid stool.  I haven't seen much consistency in recommended solutions and have read all kinds of things on this forum: eliminate nuts, coconut, coffee, spinach.  Are there certain foods that can cause loose stools or is it just a personal thing and I need to eliminate foods until I find the culprit?

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, leap75 said:

I'm on my second Whole30, and same as last time, I only have loose stools. I do go once a day, but can't remember the last time I had a solid stool.  I haven't seen much consistency in recommended solutions and have read all kinds of things on this forum: eliminate nuts, coconut, coffee, spinach.  Are there certain foods that can cause loose stools or is it just a personal thing and I need to eliminate foods until I find the culprit?

The recommended solutions are based on the most likely thing that people could be eating that causes digestive distress... nuts can cause it for a lot of people, coffee is a diuretic so that should be considered.  If you are eating a lot of fruit or nuts and nut butter or dried fruit that could be a culprit.  If you would like to list out your meals, we can take a look and see if anything stands out but to answer your question, yes, it's a personal thing - no two people are exactly the same so eliminating one thing might work for you and not for me.

Archived