Starting May 9

Chef Mike

It happened. That surreal dream of eating junk food that was so real that I woke up checking my mouth for the crumbs of Kirklands Kettle chips. It was actually a dream within a dream where I ripped open a box of dingdongs (which I haven't had in ages) and dove in like an animal. Then I "woke up" in the dream and was mortified that all the good work I'd done had gone to waste. I hadn't even wanted the dingdongs. So, defeated, I opened those kettle chips and poured myself a plate, even though I still really didn't want them. That was when my alarm went off and I woke up for real.

And I felt bad all morning until I went to fry my egg and I realized that I never ate that stuff! I was still legit!

So here I am enjoying my fried egg and baked sweet potato more than I could any dingdong or chips. Even better? No rampant guilt afterwards!

Have a wonderful day All!!

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so happy Day 3 is over and Day 4 I am feeling SO much better!  I thought I might hurt someone by the end of the day yesterday, HA!

Happened to me too!  Except I dreamed of chicken nuggets, I honestly don't remember the last time I had chicken nuggets!  Completely random, not something I typically eat.  I also woke up 45 min. before my alarm was so supposed to go off WHICH NEVER HAPPENS!  I'm usually dead to the world until that first alarm goes off.  It was great though, I got to actually enjoy my morning before I had to go to work!  Had the chance to play with the dogs and even watched the news!  I have a little bit of a faint headache today, but other than that I really do feel good.  Feel awake and ready to take on the day.  Looking forward to continually feeling better.

Thanks Chef Mike, I will work on my salt intake today.  Something that I haven't been focusing on.

Good morning, day 4. No noticeable achy muscles today and woke up 20 min before my 6:15 alarm. Got right to work on my zucchini, pepper and onion frittata. A question for everyone, do any of you notice any flavor difference between, free range, organic and regular eggs? I've gone off white eggs all together due to their low quality. Fortunately, living in New England has it's advantages on the local brown egg front.

Lunch will be braised red cabbage, roasted batata, and Moroccan chicken thigh, all cooked in and slathered with ghee, bacon fat or coconut oil. Plus a small side salad of chopped cabbage, tomato and cucumber with avocado & harissa dressing. 

In the slow cooker for tonight we've got a seared off 1 lb beef shank, celery, onion and carrots, a layer of green cabbage and topped off with a large  cubed rutabaga. Yum

Have a great day everybody.

I just started free range eggs and think that they are creamier then regular eggs, I was so surprised that I even noticed a difference but there definitely is one. 

Day 3. OW! OW! OW! I woke up in the middle of the night with a headache, and feel like I've been run over by a truck. I have some joint inflammation that is worse today. My sinuses are clear, which is good, and somewhat surprising, as I was beginning to be irritated by the pollen. I don't usually have seasonal allergies, but we had a fairly mild winter and "they" say the pollen will be worse because of that.

Anyone else hurting today?

3 days of afternoon headaches but they are gone today. Excited to cross that milestone. For me, I have had absolutely no appetite which is shocking because I love fruits and vegetables, but I had to force myself the last 2 days. On day 4 and the appetite is coming back. Excited to try the Packable lunches idea from the daily email.

Good morning, day 4. No noticeable achy muscles today and woke up 20 min before my 6:15 alarm. Got right to work on my zucchini, pepper and onion frittata. A question for everyone, do any of you notice any flavor difference between, free range, organic and regular eggs? I've gone off white eggs all together due to their low quality. Fortunately, living in New England has it's advantages on the local brown egg front.

Lunch will be braised red cabbage, roasted batata, and Moroccan chicken thigh, all cooked in and slathered with ghee, bacon fat or coconut oil. Plus a small side salad of chopped cabbage, tomato and cucumber with avocado & harissa dressing. 

In the slow cooker for tonight we've got a seared off 1 lb beef shank, celery, onion and carrots, a layer of green cabbage and topped off with a large  cubed rutabaga. Yum

Great menu today, Chef Mike! Re the eggs: I also live in New England (Connecticut) and eat pretty much local eggs. I think the yolk has more flavor than commercial eggs. I wonder if it depends on what the chicken ate. I'm going to try to pay attention to flavor change when spring/summer comes and they have more outdoor time and food.

I seem to be having trouble sleeping though - is anyone else getting this? My husband says I've been tossing and turning for the last few nights which is unusual for me! Especially when I'm exhausted by the time I go to bed.

Scolesy, have you tried eating a carb like a white or sweet potato with dinner? I've found my sleep is better when I do.

Hi everyone. I started my first Whole30 on the 9th as well. I've felt okay until this afternoon. Exhausted and sore throat. Hoping it's not the first week "common cold".

This is completely new to me...mostly because I'm learning how to cook. Whole Foods prepared is how I've lived or cereal or leggo-my-eggo waffles. And the worst part is I'm 40!!! Learned a lot but starting to burn out. I was really excited yesterday when I made mayo. It's shocking...holy smokes...I made mayo.

Hey everyone, hope you don't mind if I jump in on this group, but my wife and I started on May 9th as well and someone commented on my introduction thread with the suggestion I find this thread and post in it. Both my wife and I are feeling good on day 4, but I haven't been hungry at all today. I've been forcing myself to eat at every meal. I had no problem being hungry the last few days, so not sure what's going on today. 

Feeling pretty good for day 4. Last time I tried Whole30, my family hid from me on day 4 because I truly was a monster. This time around I think tapering back sugar and caffeine (yes, caffeine--I don't do black coffee, I've tried, and Diet Coke was my caffeine drug of choice) all last week really helped. Slow and gradually was better for me than cold turkey. I'm a little tired, but no more than usual, I don't think.

Today it would have been easy to fall off plan. The kids and I went for a hike. When we came back about 45 minutes later, we discovered someone had smashed one of our windows in. :( Between talking to park rangers, moving car seats to my in laws car, vacuuming up glass, and getting plastic on my window, we weren't able to do dinner until 7. My husband said he'd pick something up. The middle two wanted McD'a so he said ok. My oldest and I stuck to Whole30 and came home to make something. Thankfully I prepped food last night! She had salmon patties, green beans and a couple of strawberries. It was nearly 8 before I sat down to eat, but I had leftover balsamic chicken, green beans, and okra. I was so proud of us! I also got through another day without a snack--I didn't even FEEL snacky, which is huge for me as I usually graze all day long (which is too easy to do when you're a SAHM)!

I am jumping on the bandwagon as well. I started my first whole 30 on May 9th.  I test drove the no-sugar, no bread, no beans, no alcohol on a two week work trip prior to starting.  I think it may have helped, but only a bit.  Starting this off in my own home and work environment is much more challenging.  So far so good, but am wiped on day 4. 

I seem to be having trouble sleeping though - is anyone else getting this? My husband says I've been tossing and turning for the last few nights which is unusual for me! Especially when I'm exhausted by the time I go to bed.

Scolesy, have you tried eating a carb like a white or sweet potato with dinner? I've found my sleep is better when I do.

Hi Misty, thanks for the advice. I do tend to have some starchy carbs with dinner, generally sweet potatoes or white potatoes, but it doesn't seem to help. Would upping my intake throughout the day help do you think?

I've heard some folks in the forum say so. So maybe it's worth a shot. Also, Google whole 30 sleep and I think you'll find some good discussions on this topic. You're not the only one and I'm sure it's got to be frustrating as you read the many comments about sleeping so much better when you're not. I've often heard it said here that this program is an experiment of one. We all seem to respond differently Sure am hoping you find your answer on this one! Let us know.

Welcome, Bmaass! Glad you joined this group.

Day 5! Yesterday afternoon and evening were difficult. I had a combination of "eat all the things" and "kill all the things." Held on, though, even though supper was late and I was "hangry." Grilled salmon and asparagus, and made the roasted beet, avocado, and orange salad. That was really good.

I'm sleeping well so far. Usually about once a week I have a night where I can't fall asleep until the wee hours of the morning. That hasn't happened since I started this. I usually wake up between 5 and 6 a.m. so I need to get to sleep early.

I still have the remnants of a headache, but not too bad. It's scary to realize how much sugar has been affecting me. I think that will be my major take-away from this. I think I could eat grains, dairy, and legumes without much if any problem, but I don't know if I can ever go back to sugar. I hope so, because life without chocolate seems dreary. We shall see.

Day 5! Yesterday afternoon and evening were difficult. I had a combination of "eat all the things" and "kill all the things." Held on, though, even though supper was late and I was "hangry." Grilled salmon and asparagus, and made the roasted beet, avocado, and orange salad. That was really good.

I'm sleeping well so far. Usually about once a week I have a night where I can't fall asleep until the wee hours of the morning. That hasn't happened since I started this. I usually wake up between 5 and 6 a.m. so I need to get to sleep early.

I still have the remnants of a headache, but not too bad. It's scary to realize how much sugar has been affecting me. I think that will be my major take-away from this. I think I could eat grains, dairy, and legumes without much if any problem, but I don't know if I can ever go back to sugar. I hope so, because life without chocolate seems dreary. We shall see.

I don't know if it will help you, but 100% unsweetened cacao is an approved food. They just recommend you don't eat it if it will act as a "gateway drug" to cheating. You know yourself better than anyone else. If you think adding some 100% organic cacao powder to your coffee or a little coconut milk will make you crave a chocolate bar, then obviously you would want to avoid it. My wife and I make "Aztec Hot Chocolate" a lot during the winter (cacao, cinnamon, and a little cayenne pepper), and it's never made me crave sweets or a chocolate bar. You could even slice up some strawberries and sprinkle the powder over the top. Cacao is full of flavanoids and minerals, usually touted as an antioxidant rich super food. There are research studies both in favor and against that idea, but that's beyond the scope of the topic at hand. 

• Moderators

Life without chocolate DOES seem dreary but you have 25 days to go and a great lot of people report that their tastes have changed... if it's not high cocoa, high end, expensive chocolate, it tastes like wax... Will be interesting to see how you see chocolate when you're done... 

Day 5---  Feeling tired today.  Still woke up before my alarm, which is awesome but feel like I could have slept all day.  Have been productive though and still feel like I have a clearer mind.  I'm just waiting for my "Tiger blood" to start.  Still kind of dreading the weekend because at least at work I have the structure but I have wonderful support at home. 

Wow! Sounds like a dream! What an inspiration. I'm on Day 2 and feeling fine, bug this is do good to hear. I have been dragging for a couple of months. I'm older.... but still! I've never dragged lik ed this before (consistently ) so I'm looking forward to feeling differently.

Hey everyone, hope you don't mind if I jump in on this group, but my wife and I started on May 9th as well and someone commented on my introduction thread with the suggestion I find this thread and post in it. Both my wife and I are feeling good on day 4, but I haven't been hungry at all today. I've been forcing myself to eat at every meal. I had no problem being hungry the last few days, so not sure what's going on today.

Welcome, sometimes when you begin to transition from a  refined carbcentric diet to a more fat, protein and complex carb routine, you will lose your appetite because of the hormone balance. Make sure you are hydrating with at least 8 ox of water per hour and keep an eye on your salt intake, You want it to be high. The no hunger issue should pass in a couple of days. This is also the reason for some sleeplessness or fitful sleep and muscle aches/ cramping.

Mike, do I understand that more salt can prevent leg cramps? That would be so easy.  I'm on DAY 2 and had a severe leg cramp last night. Something that never happens to me! It just wouldn't quit.

Hi guys! I started May 10th! I've completed 2 1/2 whole30s since my first in September. Shooting for a whole100 if I can make it, but first comes the whole30! I'm on day 3 and wiped with fatigue! Crossing fingers I can make it until my Fresh Direct order of compliant food comes! Really grasping for compliant meals out. ...what's the final word on tostones or grilled green plantains? Thanks! Hoping to get over the fatigue-maybe not the time to amp up my gym workouts.??

Welcome, sometimes when you begin to transition from a  refined carbcentric diet to a more fat, protein and complex carb routine, you will lose your appetite because of the hormone balance. Make sure you are hydrating with at least 8 ox of water per hour and keep an eye on your salt intake, You want it to be high. The no hunger issue should pass in a couple of days. This is also the reason for some sleeplessness or fitful sleep and muscle aches/ cramping.

Thanks for the reply. I've been drinking water steadily throughout the day. We also do a good job of salting the food we're taking in. I HAVE been having trouble sleeping, but I'm also a medical student and it's test week, so stress probably isn't helping that. Normally during a test week, my appetite shoots way up due to rising cortisol and then I stress eat, so it's a new experience for me to have no appetite at this time. Haven't had any muscle aches or cramping, fortunately. 

Had a very fitful night, waking up all the time (though no leg cramps, after three nights of them.) When it was time to get up I had a raging migraine, ached all over, and was throwing up and had to call in sick to work. I am guessing I caught my daugther's plague she's had all week. Blarg. Trying to stay hydrated. I managed to keep down some potato and some broth so far, off template I know, but I tried to cook up some protine and it litteally made me throw up again, so I'm just going to take it slow, since we have a school function tonight and I have to schelpp my daughter to all the things tomorrow.

Day 5 has been much easier than Day 4 was. I had a small potato with lunch. I wonder if that helped. It helped my mood, anyway! Tonight it's shrimp cocktail with W30 ketchup and roasted asparagus.

I have felt happier and more energetic today.

Long, rainy, high traffic drive home from work tonight. I actually felt sleepy while driving-not good! I usually do my banking and shopping on Friday nights but decided to break routine and since I had the house to myself tonight I just came home and fell into bed at 6:30. Slept until just after midnight- that sure tells me what I needed! Just had a light supper of 3 fried eggs and 1/2 of an avocado and am heading back to bed. Very unusual evening/night for me but I'm just rolling with doing what my body is telling me. More sleep is definitely part of that message.

Archived