Starting May 9

Chef Mike

I have been so itchy the past few days. I'm not sure if it's a histamine thing or if I ate something weird on accident? It was a super busy weekend where I had to make the best food choices out of what was available so there is a possibility there since even if you ask questions there's always a possibility... (having to last minute chaperon a field trip to Disneyland, dinner with hub's coworker's family, lunch on the go, etc.) 

Still, itchy itchy itchy. I've also been moody, but that's something else entirely, lol. 

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catching up - sounds like we're hitting the dreaming of food stage hahaha for me last night it was these amazing glazed croissants one of my board members brings in to work for treats . UGH I must have downed about half a dozen in my sleep last night.
It sounds like a few of us are thinking of going for a whole 60 - I'm totally into that and wish there was a timeline for that as well, as in will it be tigerblood all the way? (ps anyone else have Charlie Sheen association with that and wish there was another word? lol) Or can we expect common setbacks at certain points along the way? Off to search the forums for info... Isuppose we'll just continue in this thread? Or will that be too annoying for everyone else?
Loving the buddhist philosophy in this thread - thank you - it's so helpful to think of sitting with my discomfort/cravings/demons instead of fighting them. 

This weekend was a rough one but I made smart choices.  Not going to give up now.  I did yard work all weekend and when I finally was finished on Saturday I met up with some friends for dinner at a restaurant and of course got a seat on the patio because it was beautiful weather and ALL I WANTED WAS A BEER!!!  But, I had water with lemon and a spinach and salmon salad with olive oil, it was so good!  I could have easily caved this weekend but I kept myself busy and ate when I needed to.

Day #15, half way there and I am really tired and every inch of my body hurts today.  I know I'm hurting because of the yard work and I'm tired because I didn't get to bed until late last night.  I have a headache too and I have no idea why, I don't get headaches that often so I don't know what that's about.  

Hope everyone has a great week! 

Wife and I started having cravings today too for the first time. We had no cravings the first or second week, and today, the start of the third week, we both looked at each other and said, "I could really go for a pizza right now." I'm really not craving anything sweet or sugary. Just a nice thin crust sausage pizza. Pizza is probably my favorite food, to the point I could eat it twice a day. So honestly I'm surprised it took over two weeks before I really started feeling like I needed one. 

Sleep has been a little better the last couple nights. I've been able to get 7 hours, which I'll gladly take. Still no acid reflux in the last 14 days, which is remarkable on it's own. No dreams about food like some of you are having. That sounds cruel and you should really talk to your brain about what's polite and what is just mean. 

Yes to bone broth. It's wonderful. I use my crock pot and pretty much follow the recipe in Whole30 book. The difference between stock and broth is basically the length of time the bones cook. Chicken is good, but beef is fantastic. It's very satisfying to drink a mugful in the morning--or anytime, I guess.

I slept better last night. Now that we're past the halfway point, the challenges don't seem so hard. It's a matter of determination now. I've done it this far; I can finish it. Not really seeing a whole lot of physical benefits yet, although I can tell I've lost a few pounds, but I didn't think I had any food sensitivities anyway. It was mainly sugar that was my biggest issue. Lots of NSVs.

#1 No sugar for 15 days! None. Nada. Zip. Zilch. That is huge for me.

#2 The ability to just say no.

#3 Regualr meal planning and prep.

#4 More consistent energy

#5 No more "hunger" from sugar crashes. I am hungry when it's time for the next meal, and I wake up hungry.

Anyone else got a list of benefits at this point?

Agreed about the bone broth! I made a batch last week in the crockpot and one night I came home and instead of having a cup of tea I had a cup of broth. My husband thought I was nuts, but that's ok!

More benefits:

No brain fog!

Stronger workouts.

Healthy, shiny hair.

And just say no is right! For some reason I was elected to pick up a Dairy Queen cake for work today...and I can't even have any! That's ok...I will munch on a banana while they are all chowing down on ice cream cake!

I tried making bone broth the very first week when we first attempted Whole30 in April. The only place I could find bones was whole foods, and I had to go to 3 different ones to find any. They were $6/lb and not even good bones. I tried to make it in my crockpot, following the directions, and it didn't turn out well. :( My $30 mistake. Not trying it again because of $$. I also failed miserably at making oven beef jerky. 

Day #16.  I went to bed super early last night and hit my alarm once when it went off this morning, I know my body is worn out from this weekend and just needed a good nights rest, feel a lot better today.  Yesterday I thought I was going to fall asleep at my desk, probably the worse I have been exhausted wise since I start whole30 but that was because of me over doing it.  Even though I hit my snooze once this morning I feel a lot better than yesterday.  I'm also breaking out worse but I think that is stress related.

Benefits so far:

Definitely clearer minded

Clothes are fitting nicer

More energy

Better schedule

Ability to say "no" is huge for me too

Self control and being conscience about what I am putting in my body for fuel

I had lunch at Bertucci's today. I ordered a salad with grilled chicken, no cheese. Well, they put parmesan on it! I would have sent it back, but my friend was on a tight schedule and I didn't want to slow her down. Grrr. I scraped most of it off, but I probably ate a few flakes of it. It wasn't even real cheese! It was the dry stuff. Yuck. I hope the W30 police don't come after me! :)

I have been so itchy the past few days. I'm not sure if it's a histamine thing or if I ate something weird on accident? It was a super busy weekend where I had to make the best food choices out of what was available so there is a possibility there since even if you ask questions there's always a possibility... (having to last minute chaperon a field trip to Disneyland, dinner with hub's coworker's family, lunch on the go, etc.) 

Still, itchy itchy itchy. I've also been moody, but that's something else entirely, lol. 

YES!!!!! Argh! Actually itched to the point of shredding some skin off. I finally convinced myself to stop scratching and it has been slowly... ever so slowly... dissipating. I read somewhere that the itching is caused by detox and seems to be especially prevalent in people with digestion problems, which I certainly had before this! I am going to go further than 30 days... at least 60 to make sure the toxins and itching are gone!

This weekend was a rough one but I made smart choices.  Not going to give up now.  I did yard work all weekend and when I finally was finished on Saturday I met up with some friends for dinner at a restaurant and of course got a seat on the patio because it was beautiful weather and ALL I WANTED WAS A BEER!!!  But, I had water with lemon and a spinach and salmon salad with olive oil, it was so good!  I could have easily caved this weekend but I kept myself busy and ate when I needed to.

Day #15, half way there and I am really tired and every inch of my body hurts today.  I know I'm hurting because of the yard work and I'm tired because I didn't get to bed until late last night.  I have a headache too and I have no idea why, I don't get headaches that often so I don't know what that's about.  

Hope everyone has a great week! 

I have some salmon and was wondering what to do with it. Is this a recipe? Or how did you make it? Must be good if it subbed for a beer! ;-)

I mostly eat W30 80-90% of the time so the benefits are a bit different for me as I do this round. My skin needed to clear a bit and that's happening. My energy has picked up a little, too. The biggest change thus far has been in mixing up my meals more. Tuna, salmon and sardines for breakfast would have been unthinkable a year ago. Also have upped my breakfast vegs. Reintros are a crucial part of this and I've got a decent handle on foods that aren't the best for me but I'm looking forward to doing a more specific grain reintro this time.

I am usually chased inside this time of year by the pollen, for at least three weeks. End of last week,I wanted to claw my eyes out. Realized over the weekend I had soy in a cooking spray I've used a handful of times over the first 12 days. Eliminated that immediately. Now my eyes are fine. Either it's a coincidence.....or, well I got nothin' but I'll take it! I walked 2 miles outside tonight and my eyes feel fine! Woot!

I tried making bone broth the very first week when we first attempted Whole30 in April. The only place I could find bones was whole foods, and I had to go to 3 different ones to find any. They were $6/lb and not even good bones. I tried to make it in my crockpot, following the directions, and it didn't turn out well. :( My $30 mistake. Not trying it again because of $$. I also failed miserably at making oven beef jerky.

I don't spend a lot of money on bones. When I made my chicken bone broth last week I just used the carcass from a chicken I roasted, and also threw in a few chicken wings. I think the bone broth recipe in the Well Fed cookbook mentioned chicken wings because of additional nutrition they provide.

I don't spend a lot of money on bones. When I made my chicken bone broth last week I just used the carcass from a chicken I roasted, and also threw in a few chicken wings. I think the bone broth recipe in the Well Fed cookbook mentioned chicken wings because of additional nutrition they provide.

My daughter is allergic to something in chicken so we don't eat much, otherwise I'd totally go this route. 

I have some salmon and was wondering what to do with it. Is this a recipe? Or how did you make it? Must be good if it subbed for a beer! ;-)

I make salmon hash -- this was a family fave even before Whole 30. It's shredded cabbage and shredded or thinly sliced potatoes fried/sauteed up with cooked salmon (I just broil it in the toaster oven with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon), some salt, pepper, and garlic, and maybe a dash of lemon or apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar. 

Going to do a 60 day stretch myself since I mostly eat this way anyhow. It's been a very pleasant allergy season for me so far. I'm usually in the throws of itchy eyes and ears even with my daily zyrtec. I've had some skin itching but nothing too bad. The main benefits seem to be, waking alert and hungry, pants fit much better, no bloat after meals or nodding off at my desk, good energy levels. Sound sleep of 6 -7 hours. No fogginess and I'm able to concentrate better.

So far so good. Day17, keep 'em coming.

Wife and I started having cravings today too for the first time. We had no cravings the first or second week, and today, the start of the third week, we both looked at each other and said, "I could really go for a pizza right now." I'm really not craving anything sweet or sugary. Just a nice thin crust sausage pizza. Pizza is probably my favorite food, to the point I could eat it twice a day. So honestly I'm surprised it took over two weeks before I really started feeling like I needed one. 

Sleep has been a little better the last couple nights. I've been able to get 7 hours, which I'll gladly take. Still no acid reflux in the last 14 days, which is remarkable on it's own. No dreams about food like some of you are having. That sounds cruel and you should really talk to your brain about what's polite and what is just mean.

@bmaass I'm right there with you on the cravings! Prior to this, my mantra was "If you bake it, I'll eat it" as in pastries and what not. Nowadays, I don't WANT a slice of pie, I think I just miss pie.

In my dreams, I walk through Central Market and thoughtfully stop at each sugar sprinkled baked good and think "Would I break my progress for that?...No. Next?" I was proud of dream me for not succumbing although she did seriously hesitate at the tiramisu...;-)

Here's to staying strong!!

It was just salmon with olive oil on top of spinach, plum tomatoes, hard boiled eggs and onions.  I put olive oil and red vinegar on top with salt and pepper.  It was really good, ate everything.  I ordered it at a restaurant though and actually started making it at home because it was so easy and tasty.

Day #17 and #18.  Yesterday was a great day!  It is so nice coming home after work and having energy to do things!  I feel so much happier and actually want to come home and do stuff around the house.  I usually feel overwhelmed and just sit on the couch and watch the news.  I still have the news on but I am so much more productive.  We had a ton of rain last night and it came quick and got water in the basement.  I situation that would have probably have frustrated me but I got towels started cleaning up and moved onto the next project after that was done.  We just bought a fixer upper in October so there is a lot that needs to be done and new to us so it can be overwhelming but I feel like the whole30 has given me the energy to tackle it all.  It isn't going to get done by its self and me sitting on the couch feeling overwhelmed about isn't going to do anything either. 

I forgot to set my alarm last night, I woke up before it yesterday and turned it off but still woke up.  That alone is so crazy to me, I would have overslept 20 days ago.

I would like to do a whole60 but I'm getting married and going on our honeymoon after at the end of June so I am going to take a break during that time and then probably start up again when I get back.

One thing that has been killing me is on Instagram people posting cupcakes or cake.  It looks sooooo good, but I can honestly say if someone asked me if I wanted some I would say no and move on.  I will be put to the test this weekend where it is my sister and my boyfriends birthday, and it is family party after family party but I'm really not worried about it.

Have a great day #18

Day #19!  I did the test yesterday, I tried I the dreaded bathing suit.  I needed a new one for our honeymoon and I was at the store and thought "no time like now"!  I am so proud of where I am right now.  I bought a suit that I was totally confident in and thought I looked awesome.  I also tried on pants because I really needed a new pair and bought the size that I didn't think I would fit in, fit like a glove.  It was a confidence booster.  I have hated to go shopping the past couple of years and especially hated going into the dressing rooms.   I really needed yesterday and can't wait to see what day #30 looks like!

Archived