mayo...not

sgigirl

The first batch of homemade mayo was great.  Yesterday, it didn't emulsify...yuk.  I used the blender instead of the food processor , maybe that was the problem.  So, I have to throw it out and start over.

Kind of a bummer , because I was looking forward to tartar sauce for the salmon cakes that I made.  Fortunately, I still had some avocado mayo and that worked well.

I guess when you say drizzle, you mean drizzle.

Any hints or tips?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it fails to emulsify again, don't throw it out, you can use it as a base for salad dressing.

My #1 for making it is using an immersion blender (aka stick blender, aka hand blender) --- it's been zero-fail for me!

Image-of-them-all.jpg

• Moderators

Don't throw it out, you can use it for dressing... like coleslaw dressing or something.

I've never had a mayo fail and here's how i do it. Use the WellFed mayo recipe and dump everything into a 500ml mason jar. Doesn't need to be room temp or drizzled. Stick your immersion blender in the bottom and slowly pull up. Voila. Mayo!

If it doesn't emulsify properly, you can also try to save it by taking another egg yolk and then slowly drizzling in the failed batch like you would oil for a fresh batch.

I'm also a fan of the immersion blender for making mayo. I've done it in my food processor before, but it turns out thinner.

Ok, I'll jump on the immersion blender bandwagon! And if you don't have one and are looking at purchasing one, trust me that you don't need a top-of-the-line model. I have a hand-me-down Braun immersion that has to be 20 years old, most likely older than that. It's not powerful, it's not fancy, and I was certain it would nev ever be able to emulsify mayo. I was wrong. It works beautifully and I haven't had a mayo fail yet with it (which I did with a blender, by the way!).

Me, too, MTNan. Mine is ancient, has one speed, and it makes awesome mayo every time. The only thing I have learned over time and through reading this forum is to find a place in the fridge that is not too cold. I put mine on a shelf in the door now. If it gets too cold, weird stuff happens. It will look thick and opaque when it comes out of the fridge (no longer shiny), and then it melts right away like hot butter.

My fails are usually related to using too much apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Adding an egg and blending again sometimes works for me.

I think that's what happened on my second batch. My first one was thick and nice. This one was thinner, but still totally usable. I think it was because when I poured the teaspoons of ACV, it dribbled over the edges on both pours.

If it fails to emulsify again, don't throw it out, you can use it as a base for salad dressing.

My #1 for making it is using an immersion blender (aka stick blender, aka hand blender) --- it's been zero-fail for me!

Image-of-them-all.jpg

Ok, if you don't mind, which one works the best / has lasted the longest???

I've made many batches of whle30 mayo. We love it. Today I was making a triple batch and had already added everything except the avocado oil.  When I measured it out I didn't have enough so I added regular extra virgin olive oil, and now it tastes like olive oil.  My daughter-in-law suggested adding roasted garlic, which I did. Still has an olive oil taste, but not as strong. Any other suggestions on how to fix this so I don't have to pitch it.  We will be using some of it for tuna salad and chicken salad.

My favorite chicken salad recipe is a curried chicken salad with shredded carrot and shredded apple added to it. I think if you add some stronger flavors like curry it would help to mask the taste. I've also done spicy tomato mayo with tomato paste and chili powder or chipotle.

Don't throw it out, you can use it for dressing... like coleslaw dressing or something.

I've never had a mayo fail and here's how i do it. Use the WellFed mayo recipe and dump everything into a 500ml mason jar. Doesn't need to be room temp or drizzled. Stick your immersion blender in the bottom and slowly pull up. Voila. Mayo!

I finally gave the "dump and blend" method a try. I've heard a lot of people say they use it and even saw a Gordon Ramsay demo of it, but just didn't trust it. Seemed like witchcraft. Well, I finally gave it a try last week and holy crap! It's still witchcraft, but it's witchcraft that works! The only thing that I held back was the acid which I just stir into my mayo at the end. (I do the same thing with the drizzle method.) Next time, I think I'll go all out and dump everything including the vinegar.

• Administrators

I finally gave the "dump and blend" method a try. I've heard a lot of people say they use it and even saw a Gordon Ramsay demo of it, but just didn't trust it. Seemed like witchcraft. Well, I finally gave it a try last week and holy crap! It's still witchcraft, but it's witchcraft that works! The only thing that I held back was the acid which I just stir into my mayo at the end. (I do the same thing with the drizzle method.) Next time, I think I'll go all out and dump everything including the vinegar.

30-second, no muss, no pre-planning, delicious witchcraft!  :D

I'm another lover of immersion blender mayo. Only time it didn't work was when I tried it in regular blender. I then added egg and whisked by hand while drizzling in oil. I really needed this mayo and it was last of avocado oil. I also tried walnut oil and nice but strong flavor and not basic enough for everyday. Roasted garlic is great and add a bit lot lemon juice and you have garlic aioli. Great as doping sauce for grilled onion. Recently cut onion like Blooming Onion and put on grill. It was great with roasted garlic mayo!

Our first couple attempts at W30 mayo tasted great, but failed to fully emulsify.  We ditched the food processor and used our immersion blender...BAM, it worked!  The two most important parts seem to be the immersion blender and _slowly_ drizzling the oil.  My wife and I did the last batch together - one blending, one drizzling -  and we have the best mayo ever!

Have you tried the immersion blender without drizzling santamarina? I make mayo by dumping all the ingredients in a jar, sticking the blender in to the bottom, turning it on, lifting it through the oil mixture and wiggling it for a minute it so at least once a week ;)

Have you tried the immersion blender without drizzling santamarina? I make mayo by dumping all the ingredients in a jar, sticking the blender in to the bottom, turning it on, lifting it through the oil mixture and wiggling it for a minute it so at least once a week ;)

What are your measurements for this method?

• Moderators

1 room temp egg, 1 cup oil (I use light olive oil), 1 tbsp lemon juice and a small pinch of salt ;)

No dried mustard?

I do a cup and a third of avocado oil, one egg, 2 tbsp acv, 1/2 tsp each of dried mustard and salt.  GGGZZZZZzzzzzz! mayo!

Archived