Coffee tricks

I just found another good coffee mixer that is Whole30 compliant:

MimicCreme Unsweetened Almond & Cashew Cream:

http://mimiccreme.com/unsweetened.html

Ingredients:

Purified Water, Nut Blend* (Almonds & Cashews)*, Natural Flavorings, Sea Salt, Bicarbonate Soda.

It separates in my coffee if I don't keep stirring it, but that's an acceptable problem. Yum! So glad I've found ways to drink coffee without dairy cream.

Do you have more coffee tricks? Post 'em here!

I planned to make coconut whipped cream, but didn't leave the can in the fridge for long enough for it to separate. Instead I ended up with a coconut dip (chilled coconut milk + vanilla + nutmeg + cinnamon) that I dipped strawberries in. I saved the leftovers and mixed a heaping spoonful into my coffee in the morning--absolutely delicious! Other than that, I usually enjoy black coffee on its own.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to experiment with different spices in my coffee. Any that you all would recommend? I'm usually a black coffee drinker, even pre-Whole30, but would like to mix it up at times. I don't have access to milks of any kind, so I'd like to keep it to spices I can buy online, and store relatively easy. I don't want anything I have to grind myself or store in a fridge. Pretty much want something that I can "dash" on my coffee. I'm trying cinnamon right now, but it's not as great as I thought it would be. Thinking of trying to make some sort of chai coffee myself. I know Chai usually tastes sweet without actually being sweet, and I just love the flavors and aroma.

Gonzosan, I love 100% cacao (cocoa) in my coffee beans - I throw it in right with the grounds, into my French press. Just a teaspoon or two really adds a nice flavor, although some may find it too bitter (if they're used to cream and sugar). You can also grind vanilla beans in with the coffee. Hope that helps! Melissa

Melissa - the cocoa trick is what I used to do to help with migraines. Since I don't have migraines anymore, I completely forgot about this! Hmmm... maybe I suddenly need some coffee right now. ;)

Gonzosan, I love 100% cacao (cocoa) in my coffee beans - I throw it in right with the grounds, into my French press. Just a teaspoon or two really adds a nice flavor, although some may find it too bitter (if they're used to cream and sugar). You can also grind vanilla beans in with the coffee. Hope that helps! Melissa

I may try that, although I'm still drinking my coffee black. I'm looking for something I can buy pre-ground. I have used cocoa before in my coffee, but it does tend to get pretty bitter quick. We'll see, I think for now I'll try cinnamon.

I like a couple tablespoons of Artisana coconut butter blended with my coffee... Its pretty similar to the Kerry Gold butter idea Johnny and Wendi like, but with a coconut twist. So good!!

Andrea, what doesn't work about the canned coconut milk? Are you chilling it? We put it in the fridge and then scoop out the solidified stuff. It's working really well for me. - Oh! I reread and saw it's iced coffee. For that we use canned light coconut milk and that's thinner so it has been fine for us. But tastes and texture preferences are so individual.

• 1 year later...

For iced coffee, I brew coffee and chill it in the fridge. Then, when I want it, I use creamed coconut (ingredients: pure coconut), which is solid, in a carton? I chip off a chunk, add just enough boiling water to make it creamy, then pour in the cold coffee. It's yum and quick!

If you like iced coffee, my absolute favorite way to prepare it is to cold brew it. It comes out soooo smooth and rich and delicious. This was how I started drinking black coffee (pre-W30 even) because it was just so delicious. And then once I learned to love black iced coffee I was able to transition to hot black coffee (which I just could never handle before).

Just take 1 pound of coffee (doesn't have to be expensive or fancy...just choose something that sounds yummy!) and pour the grounds into a large container. Add in 1 gallon room temp water. Let sit for 8-12 hours. I usually leave it for 12ish. The longer you leave it, the stronger it will be! Delish  :wub:

Archived