I do love me some liver and today i bought beef liver. Only when i got home i remembered it has to be soaked in milk to really work. anyone tried beef liver without soaking it? and would non dairy milk work or is it the dairy proteins (or whatevers) that do the trick?
I'll be so disappointed if i can't eat it for a while

TIA

I would soak the liver in coconut milk, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon.

I've had good results with using this method for chicken breasts when making chicken nuggets.  I used to soak the chicken in buttermilk and the chicken turned out supper tangy and tender.  I've tried without soaking it in milk an it just wasn't the same.  The coconut milk combo seems to be a decent alternative.

I would soak the liver in coconut milk, a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon.

I've had good results with using this method for chicken breasts when making chicken nuggets. I used to soak the chicken in buttermilk and the chicken turned out supper tangy and tender. I've tried without soaking it in milk an it just wasn't the same. The coconut milk combo seems to be a decent alternative.

I have a recipe that calls soaking chicken in pickle juice (like bubbies) to mimic CFA's flavor. That probably won't work for liver, but I don't really like liver so I can't say definitively

• Moderators

I eat liver all the time and have never soaked it in milk. I do cook liver with something acidic like tomatoes or splash it generously with apple cider vinegar. The acid moderates the gamey taste. 

Archived