Starting a Whole30 - Food Freedom, Here I Come!

anak16

Hi all!

Started my Whole30 yesterday after a few months of trying to find 30 days to be able to complete it. I'm really excited! Would love to connect with anyone who's also a newbie (or not) and wants support along the way. Also started a new work out routine, so I guess the New Year's Resolutions I made in Sydney are coming true... in July? haha

Is anyone else tired of having to explain you're not (necessarily) doing this to lose weight or as part of a fad diet?

Craving CARBS so hard right now. 

Good luck to everyone!

Hi there. I'm on day 3 of my second W30.  Goal this time around is to slay the sugar dragon one last time.  I hate how it takes control of my life and sends my normally healthy eating habits spiraling down.  Last time I did this was over lent so I used that as my cover.  This go around my view is this is my body and I don't need to justify what I do or don't put in it.    Nice making resolution in Sydney,  My favorite thing to do there is take my breakfast and sit in the Botanical Gardens as the sun comes up.  Such a great city.

Hi there. I'm on day 3 of my second W30.  Goal this time around is to slay the sugar dragon one last time.  I hate how it takes control of my life and sends my normally healthy eating habits spiraling down.  Last time I did this was over lent so I used that as my cover.  This go around my view is this is my body and I don't need to justify what I do or don't put in it.    Nice making resolution in Sydney,  My favorite thing to do there is take my breakfast and sit in the Botanical Gardens as the sun comes up.  Such a great city.

Good for you already knowing that sugar is your demon. I'm looking forward to figuring out what sends my body out of whack. Never made it to the Botanical Gardens; not enough time. Maybe next time. Amazing city; I'll definitely be back.

Day 3: Today went surprisingly well; had a very zen feel going on. I tried to incorporate meat protein into every meal, and it seemed to work. The headache from yesterday is gone and I was way less hungry.

Went to Trader Joe's to stock up on some basics. Amazing how many pre-packaged foods sneak sugar in! Guess that's one of the reasons we do this; to learn about what we're putting in our bodies :)

Day 3: Today went surprisingly well; had a very zen feel going on. I tried to incorporate meat protein into every meal, and it seemed to work. The headache from yesterday is gone and I was way less hungry.

Went to Trader Joe's to stock up on some basics. Amazing how many pre-packaged foods sneak sugar in! Guess that's one of the reasons we do this; to learn about what we're putting in our bodies :)

My biggest surprise last time around was the ingredients in my organic olive oil cooking spray.  No thanks!  Now i make my own spray!

Day 7. My W30 has been going well so far. I have yet to notice any real differences though they say you should start to notice in the second week? Incredibly disappointed with the lack of healthy fast food options. Even "healthy" options (e.g. fruit cup, salad), have sugar and other non compliant things added in.

On a side note, apparently the recommendation for daily sugar intake is between 25-50g. This seems reasonable until you notice how much sugar is snuck into EVERYTHING. It's completely unfair to the consumer! Also super frustrating...

Now that I'm down from my soapbox... the weekend was hard. Much harder than the weekdays. Went out to a big family dinner. I managed to eat compliantly - club soda, steak (no butter), salad (no cheese, EVOO + balsamic vinegar dressing), side of veggies in EVOO. They gave me mashed potatoes (which I did not eat). They (mashed potatoes) stared at me throughout the entire meal. That coupled with everyone else ordering a variety of my favorite food in the world (Italian), made me pretty sad and cranky. Eating out is no fun :/

Day 8. That whole "immune system may be lowered" thing they warn you about? Hit me HARD. I occasionally wake up with puffy eyes, and it usually goes away within a few hours. Not this time. Full blown rash that got worse throughout the day. Had to go to the doctor's and get steroids. Now that I'm feeling (mildly) better, I guess I do have a few positives:

1. I sleep like a log throughout the night

2. Skin feels clearer (although note the above comment on the stupid rash

3. Made an AMAZING pesto chicken dish that FINALLY fulfilled my need for big flavor

4. Haven't had a food baby in 8 days, but I do feel full :)

5. Pants fit better

Hopefully my immune system rebounds quickly. Have a family birthday dinner coming up on Wednesday... TBD on how I'll handle that.

I hope everyone is feeling good out there!

My biggest surprise last time around was the ingredients in my organic olive oil cooking spray.  No thanks!  Now i make my own spray!

I know. Even though things say organic or "healthy" doesn't necessarily mean that's so. Do you use regular olive oil and a spray bottle?

So, nearing the end of day 14. Halfway through and this... has its ups and downs. I miss food. Actual flavor. If I have to eat a single steak, potato, sweet potato, fish, etc. again... AHHH!

What I wouldn't give for some rice. Bread! SAUCE. 

Since I have yet to see any real results, and my tastebuds are on what seems like a permanent vacation, this W30 thing has me quite down. :/

You definitely don't have the deprive yourself of flavor.  There are so many fabulous recipes out there.  Google best W30 recipes and you will get a ton of amazing ideas, all high flavor.  Anything from Nom Nom Paleo is amazing as is Meljoulwan.com with great ideas.  I plan out menus and make sure I don't get bored with the same food.  Don't give up now.  You can so do this!

• Moderators

So, nearing the end of day 14. Halfway through and this... has its ups and downs. I miss food. Actual flavor. If I have to eat a single steak, potato, sweet potato, fish, etc. again... AHHH!

What I wouldn't give for some rice. Bread! SAUCE. 

Since I have yet to see any real results, and my tastebuds are on what seems like a permanent vacation, this W30 thing has me quite down. :/

Try this Moroccan Dipping Sauce (it's below the rest of the chicken recipe), Chimichurri, Hollandaise sauce, Sunshine Sauce. Mayo can be doctored up with lots of different flavors, from herbs for a ranch-dressing-like dip, to compliant hot sauce, to roasted garlic -- then dip your less-than-exciting vegetables or meats into it. Or slather it on raw chicken or fish and bake for a change of pace from plain chicken or fish. If you are bored with your food, just go look for new recipes, there are tons of them out there that are already Whole30 compliant, and if you're used to cooking on your own, you can probably alter lots of others to be compliant.

Archived