Pastured eggs are different!

Benjamin Shine

I live in San Francisco, where there are dozens of nearby producers of pastured eggs. These eggs are not like conventional store-bought eggs! They have more body and flavor. The yolks are rich orange, not watery yellow. The whites are firmer than standard runny eggs; they hold their shape to a small oval when I put them into the frying pan. I'd been frying them in bacon grease, which is amazing, but I just tried them soft-boiled for a change. Amazing! It turns out that these eggs have more egg flavor than conventional eggs. So rich and creamy!

My current batch is from Soul Food Farms and costs $9.50/dozen. That's 3x what a dozen standard eggs would cost, but it's on par with cost/weight of other high-quality proteins like grass-fed meat and pastured chicken. A sign at the store said that there is 2000 sq ft of pasture for each chicken. That's 4x the size of a studio apartment in San Francisco! I've also had great pastured eggs from Eatwell Farms.

Give pastured eggs a try; you won't go back.

-benji

Benji - good find. You can also buy them at the ferry building farmers market (from Marin sun farms and a couple other suppliers), whole foods, mollie stone, and rainbow. The cheapest I've seen them is around $7.50. Robin - I'm way jealous.

Eggs are something that I never thought about in terms of quality before learning about the Paleo diet. The best I can get right now are free range from Trader Joe's, which I think are $4.99 or $3.99/dozen. Even those are infinitely better than the 99 cent conventional eggs I used to buy. One of my roommates learned the same thing and stood cursing in the kitchen one morning about how he'd bought free-range eggs once, and now he was going to have to buy them all the time because they are SO much better! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I used to get really frustrated peeling hard boiled eggs and losing a lot of the white because the shells would stick and take a big clump of the white with it. Then I found a really great way to cook them so the shells come right off. Steam them. Yep, put the eggs in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam for 12-14 minutes. (if you like the yolk not quite solid, steam them for 10-12 minutes). Done this way, the eggs are very tender and delicious, and this is the only way I make a hard boiled egg now!

Archived