Is it alright to have half kilogram of meat per day?

I am thinking about it. This is my day 4 and I keep eating a lot of meat, some sweet potatoes and not much vegetable. (About 200-300 gram of vegetable per day also 200-300 of fruit.)

Half kilogram of meat is about 2000 kcal already which is a lot. I'm afraid that I will gain more weight than losing it.

Anyway, I feel a bit better today but having some kind of abdominal discomfort in the morning that I am not sure that it is bloating or hungry.

• Moderators

I'm less worried about how much meat you're eating, and more by how much vegetables you're not eating. If you follow the meal template, picture a typical dinner plate, put 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein on it, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, and then fill the plate with vegetables. One cup at a minimum, aim for three cups most of the time. Have a mix of vegetables of all kinds.

Have a look at this example of how one couple stocks their kitchen -- note that they have quite a bit of meat/protein, but they also have a ton of vegetables.

I ate a pound of vegetables at lunch and that was just one meal! I'm. It really fluent on how it translates to grams, but my guess is it's a bit more than 300 grams.

Vegetable should be the star if your meal. Counting calories isn't going to help since not all calories are created equal. Follow the template and you're only going to get healthier.

• Moderators

We ask you to measure meat with reference to the size of your palm and not by kilograms. By doing this, you can sidestep the ghosts of conventional wisdom telling you what is appropriate. Eating a portion of meat that is the size of your hand three times per day is the minimum your body needs and you may need up to twice as much if you are active. Do not short yourself. Further, we ask you to fill your plate with veggies and we mean that it should be very full of veggies. Our world is full of conventional wisdom that is seriously mistaken about how much food people need to eat to be healthy. Follow the Whole30-approach for 30 days and see that it is really good for your body!

Archived