Is it safe to eat raw egg in homemade mayo?

• Moderators

Everyone ultimately has to decide for themselves. Obviously, if you have a compromised immune system or if you're pregnant, you're going to want to be more careful.

You can buy pasteurized eggs, or you can google pasteurizing eggs for ways to do it yourself.  There are also recipes like this one that cook the egg yolks.

I found this article from Slate about this interesting.

• Administrators

Everyone ultimately has to decide for themselves. Obviously, if you have a compromised immune system or if you're pregnant, you're going to want to be more careful.

You can buy pasteurized eggs, or you can google pasteurizing eggs for ways to do it yourself.  There are also recipes like this one that cook the egg yolks.

I found this article from Slate about this interesting.

EXCELLENT article, thanks for sharing that!

• 2 weeks later...

The mayo I make is using whichever eggs were most affordable in any given week. That generally means the regular ol' eggs from the supermarket. Never had a problem with the mayo and it lasted for *ages*. 

So, as Shannon said, it's a decision you need to make yourself and even with eggs from hens I knew by name, I wouldn't eat the raw-egg mayo if I was immuno-compromised or pregnant.

For me raw eggs are just fine. I feel there is no harm in using them in homemade mayo preparation. I prepare it with raw eggs for creamy texture, and I had no problem till date. Though I do use only organic eggs, as they are considered safer. I am not sure why it is not considered safe, whether it is due to the processing of the eggs or because of weak immune system. But to be on the safer side, you can opt for pasteurised eggs.

Pasteurising is nothing but heating to a point at which bacteria cannot survive, & holding the temperature for a period of time that ensures that there are no bacteria. So lastly what i want to say is it depends on your personal choice. Whether it is raw eggs or pasteurised eggs... 

Archived