Starting Whole30 on July 25th!

Earoti

I don't know if it helps but I find it useful to remind myself exactly what will happen to my body if I cave in to the craving, rather than focusing on the craving and how much its consuming me.  It is challenging but not impossible.  Someone visited our office today and bought a box of beautiful looking Italian chocolates and my friend that is on holiday in Italy has been texting me about all the Italian food she's been eating - pizza, cheese, pasta, more pizza and cheese.  But then I remind myself how bloated and groggy they make me!  Stick with it - day 5 means you're a 6th of the way there already!!  :)

Thanks for the ideas Carli! 

I am well versed in the cravings department having quit smoking several times! I know they will pass and it's not worth failing for something I know isn't going to help me and my well being.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woohoo day 4! I need to start planning for next week's meals today. I would love easy breakfast suggestions, as I go back to work next week.

I'm feeling good, but I have not been sleeping the best. I'm not sure what that's about. Hopefully it ends soon.

Kawa if your not already, try adding some starchy carbs such as sweet potato or white potato with your evening meal to help you sleep.

I have anxiety which presents itself as insomnia and I find have starchy carbs at night really help with sleep! 

It seems almost like a treat so I assumed it was probably a no. I have some but I intend to use it as a quick pre-work out meal (combined with dates).

Thanks for the tip - I just made the mayo last night - I was quite proud of myself. I also am loving the homemade guac.

I made the home made mayo last night too - I didn't realize how easy it was.  Mayo used to be a guilty pleasure but now I have a healthy option and don't need an excuse to put it on everything  :D

I woke up feeling really good today and my stomach was actually grumbling. Last couple days I've been making myself eat breakfast, but this morning I was ready to eat!

@Kawa and Betty83, I found a great blog post on Whole 30 from frugal on the prairie. She did Whole 30 on a budget with easy prep meals. I found her through Pinterest. If you go to her website she has four weeks of meal plans and links to the recipes she used. I just had a breakfast frittata that was really good and will last me 3-4 days. I am also going back to work soon as I am a teacher. I didn't use all of the meals but I liked how she set her week out. I also made the classic chili in the crockpot on Monday from the Whole 30 book (checked mine out from the library) and I've gotten about five meals from it. I'm the only one doing it in my house so I'm able to stretch it a little farther, which is helpful since I have to buy other food for my husband and kids. When I do make do make dinner I make it for two or three days so I don't have to cook dinner every night or I use it for leftovers for lunch. Hope this helps!

I like the sound of that blog post - my Husband had a bit of a stress out last night as we have spent double what we normally would on food for a week so I am interested to hear of budget options.  I wonder how food costs in the UK compare to the US?  For example, 4 free range chicken breasts costs £8 / $11 and 1lb of organic beef mince is £4 / $5.50. Avocadoes are also expensive at £3 /$4 for 4 of them - we're getting through 2 a day at the moment (but also getting a bit bored of them!)

Day 5 = early onset "I need a nap"!!  Headache and neck ache and struggling to form sentences.  Thankfully I have no managers in the office today and no meetings so I can plod through the day.

Is anyone else feeling really really thirsty?  Both me and my Husband are really feeling it and I generally drink two 1.5 litres of water per day plus 3 cups of herbal tea.

Excited that my whole 30 book with all the recipes is being delivered today - I was trying to manage with just downloading ideas from online but decided the book would have more options (and it comes highly recommended).

best of luck for day 5 everyone.  B)

Day 4 was a tad hard. My hubby and I went shopping at the Walmart near a big college campus in town for some odds and ends. The amount of cheese balls, frozen pizza and beer was overwhelming to me! I don't even normally eat cheese balls or frozen pizza but I found myself wanting it. My dinner wasn't filling enough but I think it needed some starch like alexandrarowan said!

As I laid in bed last night I tried to think of some NSVs. The reason I started whole30 is because I wanted to find something to help my pityosporum folliculitis (looks like acne but caused by yeast) . Before our wedding I had 2 rounds of multiple diflucan as well as a topical to apply to my problem areas (chest and back). It all came back on our honeymoon of course. Since starting the whole30 I've only had two blemishes on my chest which I consider a MAJOR NSV!! I'm hoping it keeps up. I'm interested to see what triggers it during the reintroduction phase. I've also noticing my eczema on my arms is clearing up!! Yay!!

Is anyone else feeling really really thirsty?  Both me and my Husband are really feeling it and I generally drink two 1.5 litres of water per day plus 3 cups of herbal tea.

Yes! Both the hubby and I are extremely thirsty and we drink lots of water. I have had dry mouth since Tuesday, yesterday wasn't so bad, but it was a rest day with no exercise. 

Day 4 done! 

The day went on pretty well. I was still hungry most of the day, and at lunch time I had no desire to eat. Think I need to get a little creative with food this next week. Got a little motivation to keep going too, when my 6 year old tells me "I really like your big tummy." :'( Kids only know how to call them as they see them. No worries, using this to push through and make changes in my life. 

Hope all are doing well, day five here we go!!

Breakfast - 7 mini quiche 1/2 avocado 

Lunch - Pork Loin, Salad (could not finish just had no interest), Peach 

Dinner - Beef ghoulash with eggplant 

I was going to have an apple with almond butter but it got to late and didn't want to eat to close to bedtime. 

Day 4 was a tad hard. My hubby and I went shopping at the Walmart near a big college campus in town for some odds and ends. The amount of cheese balls, frozen pizza and beer was overwhelming to me! I don't even normally eat cheese balls or frozen pizza but I found myself wanting it. My dinner wasn't filling enough but I think it needed some starch like alexandrarowan said!

As I laid in bed last night I tried to think of some NSVs. The reason I started whole30 is because I wanted to find something to help my pityosporum folliculitis (looks like acne but caused by yeast) . Before our wedding I had 2 rounds of multiple diflucan as well as a topical to apply to my problem areas (chest and back). It all came back on our honeymoon of course. Since starting the whole30 I've only had two blemishes on my chest which I consider a MAJOR NSV!! I'm hoping it keeps up. I'm interested to see what triggers it during the reintroduction phase. I've also noticing my eczema on my arms is clearing up!! Yay!!

Amazing that you're seeing benefits already!   :rolleyes:

I definitely had brain fog yesterday - had a rough time concentrating the entire afternoon, which I think was also a result of not sleeping as well the night before. I also think I had too much fat for lunch (a bowl of coconut milk and some blueberries - won't be repeating that).

Interestingly, I've had dreams the last two nights that I forgot I was on whole30 and accidentally ate bread / normal food. I don't remember having this many slip-dreams in the past, which is interesting.

I'm going to do a slow cooke roast chicken today. I did one earlier in the week, and it lasted me 3 meals with minimal prep! That's the kind of thing I love.

I've also added a compliant sausage to my morning frittata and am loving that.

I think fats are the hardest right now! I'm finding something like 40% of the avocados I'm getting are overripe or messed up in some way, and I end up throwing them out. This weekend, I want to mess around with some sauces / mayo / etc, so I have some more fat options for the upcoming week :)

Day 5 - Not feeling like I want to "Kill All the Things", but I'm the most tired I've been today, during the day, since I started the program.  I got a decent night's sleep.  I have a slight headache, am feeling some pain in my neck and shoulders and am feeling I'm not fully here.  I guess that's better than being mad or upset though.  

I'm hungrier today too.  I had a hard boiled egg pre-workout and had no problem eating the chicken and sweet potatoes post-workout, which usually I have to force down.  By the time breakfast rolled around, I was ready to eat!!  3 eggs, 2 cups of spinach and 1/2 avocado.

Lunch will be the Greek Salad from the Whole30 book and a sauteed chicken breast. 

I'm not feeling too thirsty, but I'm regularly drinking water throughout the day.

Going to a birthday celebration at a bar tonight.  Yikes!!  I plan to eat beforehand and have club soda with lime.  

Carli - I love the chicken meatballs, roasted spaghetti squash and pesto recipes from the Whole30 book to make as a meal.  I plan to make that next week too because it was really delicious.  I also want to make the chili and try a new recipe this week.  I re-read the rules and if you can't afford to get grass fed/organic ground beef, you can get regular ground beef, but get the leanest one and that add compliant fat to cook it.  I just went to Whole Foods and it was $12 for a pound of grass fed ground beef and I cannot afford that.  What I did spend the money on was the organic ground pork because I haven't seen any lean option for that otherwise.  I was also able to get some compliant bacon there to try as well as compliant chicken broth.  

I hope everyone gets through the weekend on program.  Happy eating, y'all!

~G

I had my first food dream last night, except it was a nightmare! I was somewhere with my family and I looked down and I was eating spaghetti! Then I realized the snow peas I had bought and had been eating were coated in sugar. I cried in my dream because I had to start all over again. I was so happy when I woke up and realized none of it had happened. Otherwise I feel good today. I was hungry again when I woke up and just enjoyed a delicious breakfast! Have a good day everyone.

Day 5 and I'm feeling terrible. Headache all day, dry mouth even though I'm drinking loads, hungry all day and pain in my neck and shoulders. Looking forward to dinner of trout and stir fry veg with pine nuts. Haven't been snacking so far today but think I'll cave before the day is out.

Day 6!! Made it through the bday party at the bar and was content with club soda with lime.  Another party this evening.  Could be tempted with food, but I have a plan.  Feeling pretty good today.  I feel like I'm sleeping better too, or able to fall asleep faster and stay asleep.

Made the Diner Breakfast from the Whole30 book for me and my boyfriend this morning.  It was delicious and he really liked it!  I doubled the recipe so we could have it again tomorrow and I made extra sausage patties for the week.  I'm thinking about making a sausage and mushroom frittata for breakfast this week, topped with avocado.  

One of my co-workers is starting W30 on Monday, so it will be nice to have someone so close to share thoughts, ideas and recipes.  

I hope everyone is doing well and following the program.  Happy eating, y'all!

We made it to the weekend! I've been so sleepy during the day for the last couple of days. Thankful I got to sleep in today. I have a birthday party at my friend's house this evening too. My friend is making homemade donuts. I've been warned.  The last time I did Whole 30 I didn't go out at all because I was scared I'd cave and that was no fun....but I'm going to try this time. Soda water with lime and I'm eating something beforehand. I've also been assigned to bring the vege platter. I think I'll be okay. Good luck everyone.

Day 5 - Not feeling like I want to "Kill All the Things", but I'm the most tired I've been today, during the day, since I started the program.  I got a decent night's sleep.  I have a slight headache, am feeling some pain in my neck and shoulders and am feeling I'm not fully here.  I guess that's better than being mad or upset though.  

I'm hungrier today too.  I had a hard boiled egg pre-workout and had no problem eating the chicken and sweet potatoes post-workout, which usually I have to force down.  By the time breakfast rolled around, I was ready to eat!!  3 eggs, 2 cups of spinach and 1/2 avocado.

Lunch will be the Greek Salad from the Whole30 book and a sauteed chicken breast. 

I'm not feeling too thirsty, but I'm regularly drinking water throughout the day.

Going to a birthday celebration at a bar tonight.  Yikes!!  I plan to eat beforehand and have club soda with lime.  

Carli - I love the chicken meatballs, roasted spaghetti squash and pesto recipes from the Whole30 book to make as a meal.  I plan to make that next week too because it was really delicious.  I also want to make the chili and try a new recipe this week.  I re-read the rules and if you can't afford to get grass fed/organic ground beef, you can get regular ground beef, but get the leanest one and that add compliant fat to cook it.  I just went to Whole Foods and it was $12 for a pound of grass fed ground beef and I cannot afford that.  What I did spend the money on was the organic ground pork because I haven't seen any lean option for that otherwise.  I was also able to get some compliant bacon there to try as well as compliant chicken broth.  

I hope everyone gets through the weekend on program.  Happy eating, y'all!

~G

Thanks for the advice on the meat and the chicken meatballs sound good.  We don't seem to have spaghetti squash over hear but I am going to try with butternut squash and a peeler - a manual alternative!!  We had the chilli last night and it was delicious!  We had left overs for lunch today too.  Had it with a pile of home made guacamole.  

Well done for getting through the temptations of alcohol at the bar last night.  I opted not to go out but found myself wanting to have a treat because it was the weekend.  Typical pattern for me is to eat well all week then binge on alcohol and bad food at the weekends.  Then I feel unwell Monday / Tuesday, start recovering Wednesday and Thursday and then do it all again Friday to Sunday!  Hoping to break that habbit now.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend  :D

hello! im know im late to the party but i just found yall. im on day 6 and for the most part have been completly complaint. on day 1 i accidentally had a few nuts that listed peanut oil in the ingredients and on day four i accidentally took a small drink out of my husbands cup, which was dr. pepper..eeeeek!  ive decided that instead of starting over I'm going to extend my days. I'm a 35 year old mother of five and way over weight. this for me is an attempt to train myself to no longer rely on sugar as it  became my crutch a year ago when I got clean from all drugs and alcohol. anyway as I am familiarizing myself with the program I am also learning so many more reasons as to why I should continue on with this. I already feel great. I deal with depression and other than the obvious weight loss aspect, I am hoping to also see an improvement in my moods. also I read somewhere about getting a daily email that helps track your progress, where do I sign up for that?

Going to see Adele tonight. I know nothing is on plan at the venue. I'm going to eat dinner before I go and sneak a bag of almonds in my purse. Don't think I will need them as I haven't been getting hungry at all after dinner, but just in case. am so excited for the concert!

• Moderators

hello! im know im late to the party but i just found yall. im on day 6 and for the most part have been completly complaint. on day 1 i accidentally had a few nuts that listed peanut oil in the ingredients and on day four i accidentally took a small drink out of my husbands cup, which was dr. pepper..eeeeek! ive decided that instead of starting over I'm going to extend my days. I'm a 35 year old mother of five and way over weight. this for me is an attempt to train myself to no longer rely on sugar as it became my crutch a year ago when I got clean from all drugs and alcohol. anyway as I am familiarizing myself with the program I am also learning so many more reasons as to why I should continue on with this. I already feel great. I deal with depression and other than the obvious weight loss aspect, I am hoping to also see an improvement in my moods. also I read somewhere about getting a daily email that helps track your progress, where do I sign up for that?

You can sign up for the Whole30 Daily here: https://daily.whole30.com

It's really something you need to sign up for before you start your Whole30, though, as they are meant to coincide with where you are in your 30 days.

Day 9 here in Australia! I made it through the weekend, although I ate too much sugar in the form of dates and strawberries yesterday at an afternoon tea with my friend and felt a bit off this morning. I didn't sleep great, was a bit cranky and groggy this morning. Had a big glass of water and it seemed to fix things.

I didn't even have that much! about half a punnet of strawberries and a handful of dates!

I made it through the birthday party! Stayed away from the homemade donuts.. They looked so good but I wasn't about to quit whole30 after a week. I stuck with my club soda with lime and stayed near the vege platter. I'm still feeling tired especially trying to run. I tried running a couple days ago and my legs felt like lead. So I made myself go to a cycle class this morning and that was so much better for some reason. Maybe the momentum of the wheels kept me going...?  I still don't like eating pre/post workout, never feel like eating my eggs and chicken then eating breakfast later. Feel so stuffed... Where did my Sunday go? seems like I've spent all day preparing for the week, shopping, chopping, defrosting, packing it up... Hope week 2 goes well for us all.

Archived