Starting Whole30 on July 25th!

Earoti

• Administrators

For eggs, the healthy portion size is 3-6 eggs per meal, so you should have a minimum of 3 if that's your main protein.

The actual recommendation for eggs as a sole protein is as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping.  There's no "official" number assigned to that as everyone has different sized hands, but we do suggest that most people can probably hold 3-4 of them at least.  

Of note, many people (myself included) find that they reach a maximum satiety with eggs and can keep adding more but not getting any more benefit. In those cases we suggest people try a smaller number of eggs along with another cooked protein like chicken or pork etc.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I don't think I had enough for breakfast today. I made double baked sweet potatoes with a poached egg baked inside. I ate half of a sweet potato (1 egg) and some tomatoes but felt really hungry an hour later. I ate a hard boiled egg but am still feeling peckish. My lunch is in an hour and a half... I have a giant lunch so I hope I can make it!

Hi Betty, you definitely want to bump up the size of your breakfast and include 1-3 cups of non starchy veggies along with your sweet potato.  And as mentioned above, eggs are a funny one, you need quite a few if you aren't going to add another cooked protein with them.  You also need to make sure to add a fat source to this meal (and every meal).

Do note that too small a breakfast can be really hard to come back from so don't be surprised if you are chasing your hunger all day today.  

Feeling good for Day 3!  Have a slight headache, but nothing too bad.  I know these are the hangover days, but I'm doing ok.  Still a little bloated, but not as bad as the last two days.  Got up early to take my HIIT Plyo class.  I was able to push it, so I was happy about that.  I'm concerned about next week though - per the book, it may be when I start to slow down.  I hope to power through.  I was able to eat my pre and post workout meals with no issues.  PreWO - hard boiled egg, PostWO - chicken and mashed sweet potatoes.  

Breakfast today was 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil with some onions, mushrooms and plenty of spinach topped with half an avocado.  I had to avoid doughnuts, cookies and mini bundt cakes at my morning meeting.  Truth be told, it wasn't too hard.  I keep telling myself, "I just have to make it on program today - I just have to get through this day."  

Lunch in about an hour will be the Greek Salad from the Whole30 book with a pan sauteed chicken breast.  Fat with that will be the olives in the salad and the dressing.  Dinner tonight is baked salmon with pesto sauce and leftover roasted spaghetti squash.  

So far, I'm following the meal templates and have not felt hungry in between meals.  If you haven't tried some of the recipes in the book, I highly encourage it!  They are delicious and super satisfying!  I made some chicken salad for Friday's lunch and it looks really good - can't wait to eat it!!

I hope everyone is doing well!  Happy eating, y'all!

Quote from my trainer today that is fitting:  "If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you."  :)

• Administrators

Wow thanks for all the feedback! I will definitely add more protein in and more fat as well.

Does Almond butter count as fat?

Almond butter does count as a fat.  But.  Nuts are meant to be limited to "occassional". Our suggestion is a closed handful every other day at most. And consider how many nuts it takes to make a nut butter.  That closed handful isn't very much butter.  ;)  

Nuts can be disruptive to the gut, they don't have a great fatty acid profile and they and their butters can be really hard to stop eating once you start.  Definitely want to find better fat sources: homemade mayo, guac, avocado, various oils, olives etc.

Re: Fats. I think by the end of this I am going to be sick of avocados (and eggs)! I do love Olives though - but for me they are a delicious snack so I have to be careful with consumption.

I don't think I had enough for breakfast today. I made double baked sweet potatoes with a poached egg baked inside. I ate half of a sweet potato (1 egg) and some tomatoes but felt really hungry an hour later. I ate a hard boiled egg but am still feeling peckish. My lunch is in an hour and a half... I have a giant lunch so I hope I can make it!

As for feeling - I am feeling pretty good. No headaches - but I get insanely tired around 3pm each day. I fell asleep both days! I have a work event this afternoon so I hope that will keep me awake and I hope the food is not that great so I don't feel tempted or sad to be missing out.

For fats, have you tried making one of the sauces in the Whole30 book?  I believe it was ladyshanny who commented on my chicken meatballs and spaghetti squash topped with pesto that if I was using the pesto as my fat source for that meal to use at least one to two thumb sized portions.  Last night, I made zucchini noodles (veg) topped with sauteed shrimp (protein) and topped with the Romesco sauce from the Whole30 book (fat) and was full and satisfied. The Romesco sauce has olive oil and almonds in it.  For instance, you could have eggs topped with Chimichurri sauce with a side of vegetables - please correct me if I'm wrong, moderators.  And, you don't have to have eggs for breakfast, you could have another protein source like chicken or pork.  

Almond butter does count as a fat.  But.  Nuts are meant to be limited to "occassional". Our suggestion is a closed handful every other day at most. And consider how many nuts it takes to make a nut butter.  That closed handful isn't very much butter.   ;)

Nuts can be disruptive to the gut, they don't have a great fatty acid profile and they and their butters can be really hard to stop eating once you start.  Definitely want to find better fat sources: homemade mayo, guac, avocado, various oils, olives etc.

It seems almost like a treat so I assumed it was probably a no. I have some but I intend to use it as a quick pre-work out meal (combined with dates).

Thanks for the tip - I just made the mayo last night - I was quite proud of myself. I also am loving the homemade guac.

The hangover is in full swing for me. I did binge on sugar before I started so it's my own fault! Hoping it'll be better tomorrow as I have a job interview. Noticed today that I'm a lot less bloated than usual, so hoping that will keep me motivated to stay going. Nearly ate a non compliant sausage today but resisted thankfully.

Can someone link me to their favorite homemade mayo recipe? Ideally something that's not too complicated :)

I've done whole30 a bunch of times but never made my own mayo... There's always room for improvement!

http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/

Definitely use LIGHT olive oil or avocado oil. I made the mistake of using regular EVOO and my mayonnaise tastes like an olive. And I hate olives, lol.

• Moderators

Can someone link me to their favorite homemade mayo recipe? Ideally something that's not too complicated :)

I've done whole30 a bunch of times but never made my own mayo... There's always room for improvement!

The absolute easiest mayo, if you have an immersion or stick blender, is this one. No waiting for things to get to room temperature, no drizzling the oil slowly, just dump it all in a pint-sized mason jar or in the container that came with your immersion blender, wait a few seconds for everything to settle, and then blend.

Day 5! And of course the week I start the Whole 30 there is an explosion of morning tea/afternoon tea/ cakes in my office  :wacko: , and I'm really struggling on the cravings front too. Very akin to quitting smoking, but with less anger LOL

I don't know if it helps but I find it useful to remind myself exactly what will happen to my body if I cave in to the craving, rather than focusing on the craving and how much its consuming me.  It is challenging but not impossible.  Someone visited our office today and bought a box of beautiful looking Italian chocolates and my friend that is on holiday in Italy has been texting me about all the Italian food she's been eating - pizza, cheese, pasta, more pizza and cheese.  But then I remind myself how bloated and groggy they make me!  Stick with it - day 5 means you're a 6th of the way there already!!  :)

Day 4 and feeling overwhelmed at the amount of shopping and cooking that I've had to do this week.  I wasn't as organised as I thought!  So last night I sat down and mapped out meals for the next 10 days and wrote a shopping list.  I've planned a few slow cooker meals so there'll be left overs for lunch and possibly additional dinners I can put in the freezer for the following week.

But in terms of mood and sugar withdrawal, I'm feeling ok.  Or at least no more grumpy than usual!!  :lol: My husband was a bit grumpy this morning so he might be having a "Kill All The Things Day".  At least it's only one of us and not both!

Enjoy day 4 ladies and gents!

Oh, home made mayo and guacamole will be introduced too - hope they're more successful than my clarified butter attempt  :rolleyes:

Woohoo day 4! I need to start planning for next week's meals today. I would love easy breakfast suggestions, as I go back to work next week.

I'm feeling good, but I have not been sleeping the best. I'm not sure what that's about. Hopefully it ends soon.

Day 4 and feeling overwhelmed at the amount of shopping and cooking that I've had to do this week.  I wasn't as organised as I thought!  So last night I sat down and mapped out meals for the next 10 days and wrote a shopping list.  I've planned a few slow cooker meals so there'll be left overs for lunch and possibly additional dinners I can put in the freezer for the following week.

But in terms of mood and sugar withdrawal, I'm feeling ok.  Or at least no more grumpy than usual!!  :lol: My husband was a bit grumpy this morning so he might be having a "Kill All The Things Day".  At least it's only one of us and not both!

Enjoy day 4 ladies and gents!

Oh, home made mayo and guacamole will be introduced too - hope they're more successful than my clarified butter attempt  :rolleyes:

I also am feeling overwhelmed at all the meal planning/prep that goes along with this. I think its just a learning curve and that we will soon get the hang of it. My fear is that I won't have anything prepared or planned and then I will just eat ALL THE BREAD. I also mapped out my meals for the next 10 days last night. The weekend will be tough because we are at a baseball game and then the beach. I'm planning on a big chicken salad with lots of veggies for both days. I like the idea of making meals and having extra/freezing them.

@kawa I would also love easy breakfast suggestions! I kind of just want one staple that is quick and easy (and delicious)

I had an absolute fail with my first batch of homemade mayo. I didn't read the instructions and used an egg straight out of the fridge. Big fail! My next batch was perfect. I may just make homemade mayo all the time now! My clarified butter turned out ok, Good luck to you!

As for me, day 4 and feeling well! I avoided all the treats and alcohol at my work event yesterday. I am attempting my first run today so it will be interesting to see how I feel.

Day 3 done!

Yesterday I had a slight headache in the late afternoon and again this morning, nothing too bad though. I was still pretty hungry most of the day yesterday, even after adding the fat, especially after lunch. I don't think I am having enough veggies. I will need to keep this in mind when I go shopping for next week. It looks like sweet potatoes are going to be my best friend through this journey. LOL Also, I had a very vivid dream last night, not about food thankfully. I did catch myself thinking about altering the rules a bit, but luckily caught myself. I think this is going to be the biggest challenge for me. 

Breakfast-7 mini quiche, 1/2 avocado, peach 

Lunch - Pork lion with sweet potatoes and onions, added a few nuts because I was still hungry

Pre-workout - rotisserie chicken and nuts (i know, none for me today:(

Post workout - fresh tuna and steamed broccoli and cauliflower. I had to choke this down, I was not feeling the tuna and it just turned me off from eating. 

I don't know if they're 'easy' breakfast options but I made up 4 pork sausage patties (couldn't find compliant sausage meat so bought ground pork and seasoned it myself then used a cookie cutter to get nice round patties), roasted a load of sweet potatoes and boiled a load of eggs so all I had to do in the mornings for a few days was throw it on a plate, heat it through and add some greens and avocado or mayo or guacamole.  This weekend my Sunday will be spent doing the same and also making a couple of large frittatas with veggies and bacon so breakfast doesn't need too much brain power first thing in the morning.

@Betty 83 I share your fear of not being prepared enough and being stuck without a compliant option (but the fact we have this fear means we are more likely to be prepared!).  Good luck with the weekend - social events are always going to be challenging I think.  We're going to a Film & Comic festival at London Olympia on Saturday so I am also planning a packed lunch.  I'm making a giant beef, veggie and sweet potato chilli on Friday so there should be enough to take a portion in a soup flask for lunch along with some other compliant snacks (eggs, avocado etc).  Oh and I must not forget to pack a spoon to eat it with!  

Day 4 - Here we are!  I expected to wake up to "Kill All the Things", but luckily, I got a good night's sleep (although, weird and vivid dreams) and woke up feeling okay.  Had to eat my breakfast later than planned due to a meeting and my lunch that I usually take at 1 p.m. will have to be at noon due to afternoon meetings.  I hope I'm not famished by the afternoon because I'm not on my usual eating schedule.

Had to make some adjustments for some of my planned meals and I'm a bit concerned about the weekend, but I think I'll be okay.  It will be my first social outings and having to avoid alcohol.  I think I'm good with food...it's the alcohol I'm concerned with.  But, I'm committing to being compliant for 30 days!!

I'll be looking into some other breakfast options as well.  I don't mind the avocados and eggs everyday, but will be looking at other vegetables to add in besides spinach, mushrooms and onions.  I may make some frittatas this weekend and pack them to go, so I can just heat up when I get to work and then top with a 1/2 of avocado.  

Lunch today is the protein salad with chicken in lettuce cups.  I added compliant mayo, onions, celery, grapes and toasted almonds.  I'm looking forward to eating it!  Dinner will be baked salmon with pesto and a side of mashed sweet potatoes.  

Hope everyone has a fantastic day 4 and doesn't want to kill all the things.  

Day 4 is going well for me. The hangover is still lingering but not as bad as yesterday. Feeling extra hungry today so have been snacking a bit. Treated myself to a sugar free bottle of flavoured water as I'm so bored of plain water. Got it home only to discover that although it says sugar free, there's sweetner added to it :( Guess I'll be sticking to the plain stuff! Also need to find a way to get more fat into my lunch. Breakfast and dinner are fine but I'm struggling with lunch as I've been eating salad and I don't like avocados, olives or hard boiled eggs! I've been adding a few nuts and seeds but I don't think it's enough.

I woke up feeling really good today and my stomach was actually grumbling. Last couple days I've been making myself eat breakfast, but this morning I was ready to eat!

@Kawa and Betty83, I found a great blog post on Whole 30 from frugal on the prairie. She did Whole 30 on a budget with easy prep meals. I found her through Pinterest. If you go to her website she has four weeks of meal plans and links to the recipes she used. I just had a breakfast frittata that was really good and will last me 3-4 days. I am also going back to work soon as I am a teacher. I didn't use all of the meals but I liked how she set her week out. I also made the classic chili in the crockpot on Monday from the Whole 30 book (checked mine out from the library) and I've gotten about five meals from it. I'm the only one doing it in my house so I'm able to stretch it a little farther, which is helpful since I have to buy other food for my husband and kids. When I do make do make dinner I make it for two or three days so I don't have to cook dinner every night or I use it for leftovers for lunch. Hope this helps!

Also need to find a way to get more fat into my lunch. Breakfast and dinner are fine but I'm struggling with lunch as I've been eating salad and I don't like avocados, olives or hard boiled eggs! I've been adding a few nuts and seeds but I don't think it's enough.

Bummer you don't like the easy fats to throw on a salad! How about a salad dressing made with good olive oil (or avocado oil - don't worry it does not taste like avocado). Instead of just plain old oil, you can jazz it up and follow one of the recipes in the book or do like me and just throw things into a shaker and make your own dressing.

I woke up feeling really good today and my stomach was actually grumbling. Last couple days I've been making myself eat breakfast, but this morning I was ready to eat!

@Kawa and Betty83, I found a great blog post on Whole 30 from frugal on the prairie. She did Whole 30 on a budget with easy prep meals. I found her through Pinterest. If you go to her website she has four weeks of meal plans and links to the recipes she used. I just had a breakfast frittata that was really good and will last me 3-4 days. I am also going back to work soon as I am a teacher. I didn't use all of the meals but I liked how she set her week out. I also made the classic chili in the crockpot on Monday from the Whole 30 book (checked mine out from the library) and I've gotten about five meals from it. I'm the only one doing it in my house so I'm able to stretch it a little farther, which is helpful since I have to buy other food for my husband and kids. When I do make do make dinner I make it for two or three days so I don't have to cook dinner every night or I use it for leftovers for lunch. Hope this helps!

Thanks teachermama! I hope your back to school goes well. Kids start on the 8th. It's going to be hard to be around all my Kinder kids' snacks!

Archived