Can I have olives?

Greg and Dawn

Yes you can. Just make sure you find some without a bunch of added junk. These are mentioned in the basic Whole30 guide which you can always review to quickly check a number of items. From the official rules page:

"Minimally processed foods like canned coconut milk, applesauce, tomato sauce, chicken broth or canned olives are all acceptable on the Whole30 – but avoid anything with carageenan, MSG or sulfites. We've singled these three additives/preservatives out because they all have potentially nasty side effects – and you can easily find processed foods without them."

I checked out the WF olive bar and they do list the ingredients now. (They didn't used to.) I'm not sure if they use the same recipe at all locations, but all the ingredients in the kalamata olives (my fave) are ok except "grapemusk." Google tells me this is the juice of young grapes. Many of their other types of olives also contain grape musk. So, added sugars... sigh.

Chiaya, don't toss those olives off your list yet! Don't forget about the Whole30's fine print, specifically this:

Fruit juice as a sweetener. Some products will use orange or apple juice as a sweetener. We have to draw the line somewhere, so we're okay with a small amount of fruit juice as an added ingredient during your Whole30… but this doesn't mean a cup of fruit juice is a healthy choice! Refer to your Shopping Guide for clarification.

Renee, thank you! I have read that fine print, but forgot about it. I can't see myself completely gorging on olives (though they are delicious) but since I have to go to Whole Foods tonight anyway, I'll pick some up! Yay!

• 4 months later...

Archived