Confused about nuts

I feel like I get some mixed messaging about nuts. All this time I was like okay not the best source of fat, don't use them as a fat crutch, if you want them eat them every other day and not that many of them. I felt like I had that down. So yesterday I'm grocery shopping and I'm thinking okay I need a fat source in this meal, what do I get? I was already using coconut cream and coconut flakes in the other two meals, so I figured coconut might not be the best route. I tried to stomach the idea of eating olives and then quickly ran away from them. So then I pull up this.. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdfto look what's in the fat category that I like and could eat. And there they are, beautiful cashews on the same playing field as avocado and coconut. But, aren't they a nut? Shouldn't I be limiting them? Why do I have to limit them, but not coconut or olives or anything else in the same exact category? There are different types of nuts in the other categories that should be occasional or limited, but cashews are right there in the BEST eating fats. 

So if nuts are supposed to be limited, why are cashews and macadamia and hazelnuts in the best eating fats category? If they are considered one of the best sources of fats, why do I have to limit them?

I would like to add that I don't think I'm addicted to nuts. I've rarely eaten them throughout this (I'm on day 25). I just wanted to branch out from avocado and coconut as my eating fats. (I felt like someone might hint that I'm addicted to them because I called cashews beautiful, so I just wanted to throw that out there :))

• Administrators

OK, so of nuts, cashews, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts would be the best choices.  But of overall fats, nuts are recommended to be limited.

From the "Can I Have" article linked below: Tip: Nuts and seeds aren’t your best fat choice, in general.

Edited to add response to question "Why do I have to limit them?" --> because their Omega 3 & 6 profile is unbalanced (ie, they are very high in 6 and low in 3 and the majority of the population already gets WAY too much 6), they can be disruptive to your digestive system (think bloating, diarrhea, gas) and they can be a food without brakes (ie, hard to stop eating once you start).  Also realize that nuts such as cashews are actually pretty carb-dense and can be sweet enough to be a replacement for your old snacks/sweets and keep that sugar dragon/craving monster well fed.

• Moderators

It is okay to occasionally have some nuts. Just don't go overboard with them. They are great for adding texture to salads and other vegetables, or occasionally to make a "breaded" meat or hold together a vegetable fritter. That's fine.

For other fats, try mayo or sauces/dressings made from it, or oil-based sauces like chimichurri or pesto. If you're willing to give olives a try, find some castelvetrano olives -- they're much milder tasting than other olives.

Thanks for the advice! I wasn't planning on relying on cashews forever, but it was something I thought I could add in this pinch so I still had fat in my meal. I am planning on making some sauces but after trying to make my own ketchup and then mayo and both turning out horribly I've been deterred for a little bit. I also wanted to get an immersion blender to make it easier.

Is it okay if I have these cashews for now and the next couple days and then try the other ways? I'm gassed out on avocado for now and I don't know how else to incorporate coconut. I use cooking fat in all my meals, I'm just trying to also add an eating fat to each.  

I did not like any of the homemade ketchups I made, either. I think ketchup is one of those SAD foods that doesn't translate well to a healthier version.

But homemade mayo is out of this world. Definitely get yourself an immersion blender. It does not need to be fancy -- mine is a basic model from like 20 years ago.

Archived