Alternative Eating Fats

Does anyone have suggestions for alternative fats for a picky eater? I currently do not like or eat coconut, avocado or olives (also mushrooms are icky). I am slowly working on these and other foods that I don't like. I can now tolerate about 1/4 avocado if it is well hidden in something else and maybe a few slices in sushi (I have not started my first Whole30 yet so I still eat sushi). I am planning on an August 29 start date and would like to be as prepared as I can be.

I like nuts, but it sounds like they should not be my main source of "eating fats" (as opposed to cooking fats).

What do capers count as besides a pantry/garnish item?

Avocado oil is a mild tasting oil (it doesn't taste like avocado). You can also do mayo (homemade or compliant... Read labels), rendered animal fats, compliant bacon, ghee, pesto, chimichurri... Keep trying to find a fat that works for you. 

Question: is it the taste or texture of those fats you aren't a fan of? If it's a texture thing, keep trying to incorporate various fats in meals any way you can. If it's a taste thing, try different types of oil/olives/ways to eat avocado 

With avocado it is both taste and texture, the rest are more taste. 

I guess my fats may end up coming more from sauces and cooking than eating (unless/until I can figure out how to eat olives and avocado). I don't have an issue with olive oil and I haven't tried coconut or avocado oil so we'll see how that goes.

It seems weird to think of a sauce as really part of the food and not just a tasty garnish. I'm not sure why that seems weird to me, but it does at the moment.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
29 minutes ago, ajaggie said:

I'm allergic to coconut  how can I substitute this.

@ajaggie - you don't have to use coconut products at all on your Whole30. Olives, olive oil, homemade mayo, lard, tallow, avocado/guac, fatty fishes like sardines etc. Is there a particular recipe you were trying to sub out the coconut product in?

Archived