Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

1 hour ago, No more muffins said:

DAY 12 PEEPS....STEADY AS SHE BLOWS

Looking forward to day 15, so I can say half way done.  I think I am starting to feel better.  Improved mood, more energy, more in control of what I put in my body.  This was not a 180 for me, but maybe more like a 90.  

QUESTION:  In looking ahead the week we are done I have an event.  I would really like to have a glass of wine or two.  How do I reintroduce that?  Stay on program and just introduce wine and see how I feel?

Yes i would just introduce the wine, it will be tempting to try other things as well but I can't stress how important the reintroduction really is! It took me awhile to finally realize that certain foods and drinks are just off limits and rarely worth it. You'll do great, just go in with a plan and stick to it!

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎15 at 9:19 AM, Catlover said:

I have 3 cats. My mission in life is to be the crazy cat lady and have a houseful, however, the vet bills kill me!

Yeah, there are always those vet bills. I am having three cats as house guests mid-October. Looking forward to it.

14 hours ago, No more muffins said:

DAY 12 PEEPS....STEADY AS SHE BLOWS

Looking forward to day 15, so I can say half way done.  I think I am starting to feel better.  Improved mood, more energy, more in control of what I put in my body.  This was not a 180 for me, but maybe more like a 90.  

QUESTION:  In looking ahead the week we are done I have an event.  I would really like to have a glass of wine or two.  How do I reintroduce that?  Stay on program and just introduce wine and see how I feel?

Lot of folks have this question.  Here's a link that might help.

Fantastic dinner last night:

Appetizers (friend doing W30) little compliant bits and pieces

Roast chicken, baked yams, tomato/ cucumber salad, beets, roasted vegetables, salad (arugula, fresh figs, sunflower seeds, orange)

Dessert ((yes!) cut up fresh, local plums and raspberries, bowl of coconut cream. Little bits of Larabar. 

A few leftovers. Yum. Just had a bit of chicken as my pre workout snack. Still seems a bit strange. 

Weekend breakfasts have always been special in my mind. Today I needed to clean out the fridge a bit. So there was a cooked hamburger, a few cherry tomatoes  and some coleslaw. Ok but didn't wow me. I fit it in the category of functional food i.e. nourishing and meets template. So I grilled onions and topped the coleslaw with just a little chopped walnut and a few raisins (no sugar added). I made French press coffee with some coconut milk. (For years I've just had it black).  Small things turn a meal into a feast. 

I think we should re-name this thread "The Kult of the Kahlua Pork"!  :P   It is on every page and I don't see an end in sight. You All may have convinced me to give it a try next week.

Back from my bi-coastal work trip - glad to be home and not have to figure out food in the wild! My work hubby traveled with me and he is a major foodie - has a cooking channel on You Tube for fun. He LOVED that I ordered steamed green beans with sea salt and ate them like fries. He even helped me navigate the menus. Had a pretty cool NSV too, we went to Disneyland one evening and I was not tempted by all the beautiful, shimmering, glistening, sugary treats - just walked on by!!! Couldn't believe it! Got over 12k steps in that day too.

Thanks to everyone with traveling food suggestions!!

We are nearing the 1/2 way point!!! Hooray for all of us!

I had my first appointment with a naturopathic doctor yesterday (bone density issues) and she thinks this food plan rocks! I printed out the food lists and meal template and she said this is how she would recommend all of her patients to eat -- emphasizing the meat coming from a grass-fed high quality source.

I'm heading out with my husband for a short overnight trip. I powerwalked and had a wonderful breakfast, I'm meeting friends once we get to our destination for a salad with compliant ingredients and have dressing in my purse just in case they don't have anything without sugar.  I read the menus of the restaurants at our resort and it looks like a few great options. The hard part will be resisting a Blue Moon beer at Happy Hour! I CAN do it!

Good luck everybody, have a wonderful Saturday!

3 hours ago, RubytheSugarDragonSlayer said:

I think we should re-name this thread "The Kult of the Kahlua Pork"!

Fantastic! :lol: Let's do it! Guess what I'm cooking tomorrow... 

Tonight's dinner was easy and tasted great! Salmon fillets with sliced garlic and sliced lemon on top, baked in the oven. Served with cauliflower rice, sallad and aioli (which has become a staple, I eat it with everything)

Made a batch of Larabars (equal parts macadamias, dates and apricots) and had a little piece for dessert.

You can add me to the Kult, I'm making the Kahlua pork tomorrow! So close to the half way point and still feeling good, but I do miss my wine (or today I'd like a beer!).  We're cooking chicken wings on the grill tonight and I think I'll roast a big pan of vegetables to have plenty of leftovers for the next few days.  I haven't noticed any huge changes, but my clothes are fitting better and I'm feeling more calm in general, so it's all good.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:31 AM, MalinHillevi said:

Yes, that's how I understand reintroduction. And then wait a couple of days (doing Whole30) until you reintroduce anything else.

that is what I did when I reintroduced the wine.  I am just not sure if I want to make that the first thing I introduce, since I am having a party at my house 3 days after the end of whole 30.  (I do know that my body only likes wine once per week.)

17 hours ago, No more muffins said:

DAY 13..... Anyone else sick of the continuous mess in the kitchen?  Dishes, grease, pots and pans, food processor, more grease and dishes and pots and pans.  So I guess I am slow on the uptake.  Finally quadrupled the mayo and made a double batch of soup.  Pretty good.. The chicken chowder.  

A personal chef and kitchen maid would be nice right now. Oops, forgot I'm not living in Downton Abbey!

Add me to the Kalua Pork group.  Got a 6 pound pork shoulder in my freezer now.  I guess the hard part for me is the cost.  Mine cost $40ish, getting it from my local farmer.  A coworker had gone to Costco last week and picked up a 17 pound pork butt for a bit less than that.  Ouch!  But, I do know the one I got is much more nutritious, so just trying to keep that firmly in mind. 

Been a hectic past few days, but even if my meals haven't been template, I've stayed compliant. 

Today I'm making a chicken foot stock with a suggestion given to me by my farmer.  The butcher puts the feet in 3 pound packages, which to me is way too much.  She suggested getting a big stock pot and cooking it all day, and letting the liquid cook down until it's really just jelly.  Then putting it in ice cube trays, then popping those into a freezer bag.  Then, when making normal stock with the bones, putting 2-3 cubes of the foot stock in to add collagen. 

I still haven't gotten much energy, but that could be that I've still not been eating enough.  Hoping today's prep will help with that. 

Watching football today. Go STEELERS!! Feels like fall. Rainy today, so no bike ride - boo!

Prep this weekend:

• hard boiled eggs
  • roasted squash - in 1/2 cup individual serving containers (some may get frozen)
  • 3 citrus vinaigrette
  • baked sweet potatoes
  • clarified butter
  • mayo
  • chicken salad - w/artichokes
  • bacon - whole package, baked in broiler pan, easy to add to breakfasts
  • I've also thawed some burgers and chicken and have plenty of salad fixings
  • May also thaw carrot ginger soup (made creamy with coconut milk) or Joumou - Haitian pumpkin soup with beef chunks - so tasty!

I always make too much of everything so there is enough to get me thru the week or freeze and dip into so there are always options when I just don't wanna cook.

Here's to everyone having a super successful week 3!!!

On 9/17/2016 at 6:51 AM, FranE said:

Fantastic dinner last night:

Appetizers (friend doing W30) little compliant bits and pieces

Roast chicken, baked yams, tomato/ cucumber salad, beets, roasted vegetables, salad (arugula, fresh figs, sunflower seeds, orange)

Dessert ((yes!) cut up fresh, local plums and raspberries, bowl of coconut cream. Little bits of Larabar. 

A few leftovers. Yum. Just had a bit of chicken as my pre workout snack. Still seems a bit strange. 

Lara bars are for emergencies only.

Day 14 in progress... Still making good choices in tough situations - out there going to neighborhood barbecues, etc and bringing my own food. Feeling good, making sure I'm eating breakfast before coffee.

One thing's on my mind though: I've seen abut of, well not exactly shaming, but maybe criticism. "No Whole30 is perfect" and as we're doing this for ourselves, I'm not sure why we're judging or correcting others. Let's try to support others or be constructive. Instead of: "that's an emergency food only", suggest some different choices (if you even know the whole picture) or instead of "you weighed yourself you need to start over" how about suggesting the person have faith in the process and eventually freedom from the scale. 

Just a few thoughts as I enjoy the support from this group so much and would hate to see some people leave the group because they've been critiqued and miss out...

3 hours ago, Whole_K8 said:

Day 14 in progress... Still making good choices in tough situations - out there going to neighborhood barbecues, etc and bringing my own food. Feeling good, making sure I'm eating breakfast before coffee.

One thing's on my mind though: I've seen abut of, well not exactly shaming, but maybe criticism. "No Whole30 is perfect" and as we're doing this for ourselves, I'm not sure why we're judging or correcting others. Let's try to support others or be constructive. Instead of: "that's an emergency food only", suggest some different choices (if you even know the whole picture) or instead of "you weighed yourself you need to start over" how about suggesting the person have faith in the process and eventually freedom from the scale. 

Just a few thoughts as I enjoy the support from this group so much and would hate to see some people leave the group because they've been critiqued and miss out...

I agree. I realize some have more experience with the program than others, but throwing out advice probably should be done with more consideration and only if someone asks for feedback! As a parent of adult children, I've learned just because I know more doesn't mean I need to put myself in the director's chair! :) 

It is always a good reminder for all of us to be very careful when we communicate through technology whether it is via text, social media, e-mail, or public forums -- human beings are on the receiving end. In this case it is a group of people who are trying to make some very serious changes in their life and if they are anything like me, they need all the positive support they can find!

Best wishes to all of you. Tomorrow, we reach the 1/2 way mark of this Whole30! I've enjoyed your recipes, meal ideas, and I appreciate you going through my ups and downs with me!

4 hours ago, Whole_K8 said:

Agree 100%!! The forum is for support, we feed off each other's energy, support each other's decisions, and share in the struggles. This is hard, and made easier with support, no one of us is perfect, we are all trying and making an effort. Being legalistic and policing comments is counterproductive.

This week is our 3rd in this empowering and fantastic journey. Each day we get closer to our goal, we are almost at the half way point!!!

Share your favorite dish so far, that way we can all have new things to try in the home stretch! Mine was a crazy beet gazpacho with red grapes, topped with pepitas. I have to figure out how to re-create it! So unexpected and delightful!

Archived