Starting Whole 30 on September 5th

Mamagill08

I'm doing good today.  This weekend was rough for cravings, oddly.  Yesterday I went to visit a friend who's on her last days in hospice, a very emotional thing, to say the least.  Then I walked a half a mile to the nearest Whole Foods to get some supplies.  I hadn't eaten enough breakfast and was starving, so I ate from the Whole Foods hot bar—something I've had problems with in the past and that I knew was a stupid thing to do.  Everything compliant—sauteed, roasted, and steamed veggies and a bit of chicken in green salsa—except for the Canola oil, and I'm thinking, there's not that much of it.  That evening I noticed my wedding band was tight, that my fingers had swollen up.  Hard to believe this could have such an impact.  Good lesson!

Pretty sure I'm going to do this another 30 days.  Feel like the huge switch to cooking most of my meals and my doing it during such a crazy time, I didn't work on other aspects of the plan, like focusing on exercise, etc.  This weekend is the first weekend in 2 months where I don't have all this work hanging over my head, where the time is my time.  I did take on a paid writing gig, but it's something I'm interested in, and it sounded like fun after all the class prep and taxes.  Signed up for a Yin yoga class early this evening, at a studio I can bus to.  Taking the bus means automatic walking, whereas driving, I have to decide to walk, and it often doesn't happen. 

Had a couple of cooking successes this week.  Turkey meatloaf with thawed and squeezed frozen spinach mixed into it, along with typical meatloaf ingredients.  Yum.  I made this amazing squash soup that they used to serve at the Tassajara Bakery when it still existed.  It's the roasted eggplant soup from the Greens cookbook, using squash instead of eggplant.  You roast the squash as well as onion, red bell pepper, and tomatoes and then blend it all with some freshly sauteed garlic and herbs.  It tastes good with just water, but I used some of my chicken bone broth it it.  You top each bowl with this amazing garlicy saffron mayonnaise, which I zapped up using my stick blender.

I'm still feeling I'm really happy I'm doing/have done this.  But I feel like some issues are just starting to be addressed by the protocol.  Thus want to give it another 30 days.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey team... Well I finished last Thursday (my w30) but I continued until the weekend.  I did not want to deviate from this plan and do anything before I did my Crossfit challenge on Saturday.  I completed and it was tough.  The 4 workouts were pretty hard this year (compared to last year).  I pushed myself very hard and had a good day but last night and today I am so very sore in just about every place on my body between my knees and my head.  I came second in my group and really feel good about how hard I pushed.  I know now that I was not training at full capacity compared to the challenges of yesterday.  Lots to practice.  We got some good prizes and "swag".  

The event had a "Paleo" food truck but it was not W30.  There was some sugar in the sauces so I had plain chicken, sweet potato and grilled peppers.  

In terms of results for my W30, I lost only 4.5 lbs but I also was down 1.5 inches on my chest and waist.  I lost 1 inch on my hips.  Happy with the outcome.  I am relaxing slightly this weekend and then back to W30 for another month or more.

Cheers

DJ

Congrats to everyone still hanging with it!!!

Feeling good, feeling strong, and healthy! Plan to go forward eating like this. When I'm making an effort to eat well I find that I'm eating tastier and more interesting food choices. The CSA has been a huge help forcing me to come up with ways to prepare and use more vegetables than I'm used to .  I been bringing W30 legal foods to gatherings  and people always enjoy them and it seems like I've tricked everyone into thinking I'm actually a good cook.

Have a lot of food habits to re-wire in my brain, after all my Mom was an early adopter of convenience foods in the 70's. She was a master with the 4 food groups - canned, frozen, take-out, and reservations! Fond memories of shake-n-bake pork chops and chicken, porcupines, American "Chop Suey" - hers was with a can of spaghetti-o's. Spinach was always in a frozen brick, we'd make a mad dash for the jar of mayo whenever that hit the table! Guess we were eating spinach dip before we ever knew it was a thing.

Food prep for this week features:

• hard boiled eggs
  • sausage patties
  • lamb chops
  • leek broth
  • chopped leeks to add to the morning scramble
  • honey crisp apples
  • toasted pine nuts and slivered almonds
  • pickled carrot strips (no sugar, homemade)
  • clarified butter

Cubed and roasted a mini butternut squash, dinner tonight wiped that out, hoped I'd have some st add to a salad this week, glad hubby and son enjoyed it so much.

Plan to eat this way until I hit my goal weight, with a few off road adventures along the way.  I have 3 wine programs that deliver to my house, I may have to cut one of those.

Funny how the last few days are often as challenging as the first few. In the beginning we're getting into the groove of it all. During the ending we have our feet in two worlds - one where we just keep on keepin' on, and the other where we're doing the mindshift of reintros or thinking about the foods we've been missing. I think it's easy to fall off when our minds are so split. I'm looking forward to really drilling down on the dairy so I've stayed with it very strongly. I must've thought I was feeding an army in the upcoming week as I overbought groceries. So this afternoon and evening I did a marathon cook up and binged on Netflix while cooking to keep from feeling overwhelmed by the magnitude of absentminded shopping. 

Congrats to everyone who made it this far and good luck to those who are restarting, hope you follow through with your commitment to yourself! The trip is almost done but don't forget the re-introduction, worth the whole journey. Hope you all post your NSV along with what you learned so we can all cheer you along. Nice job everyone!!

Tomorrow is Day 30 -- this is my second full Whole30 and this time has been much easier for me to stick to the plan.  I had at least 3 false starts of Whole30 in between my first successful try and this try.  I even ate out at restaurants 3 times during this 30 days; not an easy thing when you live in a place where practically everyone says, "Paleo?  WHAT is that?  You only eat meat?" And the main vegetable out here is a potato or iceberg lettuce that passes for a side salad because it has a few carrot gratings in it. 

Non-scale victories:

1. I was able to turn down my favorite beer and only felt a little sad.
  2. My clothes are fitting looser.
  3. I feel more alert and calm, noticeably so!
  4. My monthly PMS is greatly reduced this month.  WOOT!!! for that....cause I'm almost 46 and have no need for this monthly mess anyway.  :-) 
  5. My cravings for food have literally changed from carbs/sweet/sugar (read: dessert) to... GASP: Vegetables and meat.   Maybe coffee with a little coconut milk.
  6. I only drink coffee when I truly want it, not every day.  Not even every other day.

I'm excited to get the Food Freedom Forever book; which will be arriving via Amazon tomorrow.  I'm going to continue on Whole30 at least until the weekend.  I want to add back regular butter and cheese (one at a time....).  I also want to add back the occasional beer or wine; but I'll have to wait and see how either of those really make me feel.

One more day!  We can do this!

Just a little bit longer.  My lunch was a disaster today, the pre-cooked shrimp I got was nasty.  Thought I had some Epic bars from the other day, but it turns out I put it in my daughters backpack.  So I had to run to a nearby QuikTrip and while not much is compliant, they had pistachio's and fruit, so it's going to have to work.  I just wish I liked canned tuna/chicken/anything.  At this point I just want to get home so I can fix dinner!

Nice job everyone! Before anyone steps on a chunk of metal with numbers showing I hope you all stop to think about what you have accomplished these past 30 days. Looking at my NSV:

clearer skin, even energy, whiter teeth, stronger nails, no cravings, less joint pain, less heartburn, better sleep, less swelling, slimmer face, smaller jean size, not weighing myself and not caring what I weigh:) 

Hope you all have your reintroction plans in place, such a great learning experience!!

Nice job everyone! Before anyone steps on a chunk of metal with numbers showing I hope you all stop to think about what you have accomplished these past 30 days. Looking at my NSV:

clearer skin, even energy, whiter teeth, stronger nails, no cravings, less joint pain, less heartburn, better sleep, less swelling, slimmer face, smaller jean size, not weighing myself and not caring what I weigh:) 

Hope you all have your reintroction plans in place, such a great learning experience!!

Reasonably successful W30 this time around. A bit too heavy with the fruit and starchy veg. It's on the program, but I need to eat less of them, especially if I want to really wrestle my sugar dragon to the ground! 

I have been suffering from a hamstring injury for a while, which has reduced my exercise volume. Less running and more time in the gym (physio exercises and strength training). Doing Whole30 has made sure that I didn't put on weight, which had been a bit of a worry for me. 

I mostly eat this way now and will continue to do so. Plan to be a little less stringent in October (maybe, the occasional glass of wine) and will do another Whole30 in November. 

Reasonably successful W30 this time around. A bit too heavy with the fruit and starchy veg. It's on the program, but I need to eat less of them, especially if I want to really wrestle my sugar dragon to the ground! 

I have been suffering from a hamstring injury for a while, which has reduced my exercise volume. Less running and more time in the gym (physio exercises and strength training). Doing Whole30 has made sure that I didn't put on weight, which had been a bit of a worry for me. 

I mostly eat this way now and will continue to do so. Plan to be a little less stringent in October (maybe, the occasional glass of wine) and will do another Whole30 in November. 

Day 31 is here. I'm so proud of myself for doing it. 

My clothes fit differently. 

My body looks different. 

I'm physically fitter. 

I'm sleeping better.

I have more energy

No brain fog

Concentration is easier.

Not running out of energy at 5pm.

No food cravings. 

No snacking. 

(Down 16 lbs. 3" off my waist and thighs, 2" off my bum.) 

Cannylassy, those are wonderful results.  Congratulations!!  Here are a few of mine.

Clothes fitting better

Getting to sleep much faster

Things aren't stressing me out nearly as bad

Not trying to fall asleep at my desk at 3:00

Down 14#

I had a bite of a shopbought (gluten and dairyfree) hash brown this morning. Couldn't be bothered to have a second.

I'm reintroducing alcohol first, though, because it's a friend's birthday on Friday. Then grains-that-are-not-gluten, then beans, then gluten then dairy. Beer is going in at the same time as gluten. 

I had a bite of a shopbought (gluten and dairyfree) hash brown this morning. Couldn't be bothered to have a second.

I'm reintroducing alcohol first, though, because it's a friend's birthday on Friday. Then grains-that-are-not-gluten, then beans, then gluten then dairy. Beer is going in at the same time as gluten. 

Well, we made it!!  I feel so much better.  Today is a feeling I need to capture and remember going forward as I reintroduce a few things and whenever I am tempted to veer TOO far off my new found path.  Now, I get to decide if some food or other (talking to YOU cheesecake and white cupcakes w/ white frosting) is really and truly worth the result they may create in my body.  Might be worth it once in a while.  Or I might discover it is not worth it.

Got my copy of FFF yesterday.  Tonight, I am going to start reading it.

Also, I never weighed myself prior to this Whole30....and I'm not going to start now.  I have officially decided to never weigh myself.  Maybe at a doctor's appointment, they will do it -- but I'm not going to.  It is just a number -- an unimportant number for me.  And -- my clothes are looser.  :-)

Great job everyone!

Well, we made it!!  I feel so much better.  Today is a feeling I need to capture and remember going forward as I reintroduce a few things and whenever I am tempted to veer TOO far off my new found path.  Now, I get to decide if some food or other (talking to YOU cheesecake and white cupcakes w/ white frosting) is really and truly worth the result they may create in my body.  Might be worth it once in a while.  Or I might discover it is not worth it.

Got my copy of FFF yesterday.  Tonight, I am going to start reading it.

Also, I never weighed myself prior to this Whole30....and I'm not going to start now.  I have officially decided to never weigh myself.  Maybe at a doctor's appointment, they will do it -- but I'm not going to.  It is just a number -- an unimportant number for me.  And -- my clothes are looser.  :-)

Great job everyone!

I have spent the last month working 70-90 hours per week, and the other hours being a mom of 2 busy elementary school kids and a wife. No blood sugar crashes - just eating 3 meals a day, much less coffee needed, able to handle it, falling asleep quickly (when I'm not working ;) ), dealing with the unexpected with grace and calm and not stress or anger. My face hasn't broken out. I haven't had stress induced headaches or stomach aches. To me that is Whole30. It's given me the ability this 30 days to be able to deal with what life has thrown at me. SO many NSVs.

I've managed to let go about 10 pounds (didn't weigh myself the day I started) - and definitely some inches as my clothes fit better.

Instead of a slow roll reintro, I'm going to commit to a 10-day reintroduction and then probably another round. I still have a few things to work on - I relied too much on potatoes (in the form of hashbrowns) and I'd like to increase my red meat consumption and decrease my sausage consumption.

So proud of everyone who made it! Thanks so much for sharing your experience - I've learned so much from every one of you!

I have spent the last month working 70-90 hours per week, and the other hours being a mom of 2 busy elementary school kids and a wife. No blood sugar crashes - just eating 3 meals a day, much less coffee needed, able to handle it, falling asleep quickly (when I'm not working ;) ), dealing with the unexpected with grace and calm and not stress or anger. My face hasn't broken out. I haven't had stress induced headaches or stomach aches. To me that is Whole30. It's given me the ability this 30 days to be able to deal with what life has thrown at me. SO many NSVs.

I've managed to let go about 10 pounds (didn't weigh myself the day I started) - and definitely some inches as my clothes fit better.

Instead of a slow roll reintro, I'm going to commit to a 10-day reintroduction and then probably another round. I still have a few things to work on - I relied too much on potatoes (in the form of hashbrowns) and I'd like to increase my red meat consumption and decrease my sausage consumption.

So proud of everyone who made it! Thanks so much for sharing your experience - I've learned so much from every one of you!

Archived