I'm starting on 9/6! Anyone else too?

MelissaR

31 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

I love your idea for coffee. On Day 1, I was drinking my coffee black, and realized that I don't even like coffee. I just like all the 'stuff' I put in it. I will try your method this week!

So if it's the 'stuff' you put in your coffee that you like, why continue drinking the coffee? Just sayin'!!

Whole30 is the time to take a long hard look at why you eat/drink the things you (& not just you personally @Happy Camper) do  ;)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, jmcbn said:

So if it's the 'stuff' you put in your coffee that you like, why continue drinking the coffee? Just sayin'!!

Whole30 is the time to take a long hard look at why you eat/drink the things you (& not just you personally @Happy Camper) do  ;)

Coffee has been a part of my morning routine for a long time. I love the smell (and the sound) of coffee in the morning. Even though I am only on Day 2, this program is really making me aware of my daily routine, which seems to mindless at times.  I may consider phasing coffee out of my morning routine over time.

Thanks for the thought provoking question!

On 06/09/2016 at 8:38 AM, Whole30ally said:

This is an issue for me too. I was pleasantly surprised today with my coffee. I did a cup of brewed coffee, one mejdool date and half a cup of coconut milk. Pinch of cinnamon. Blended it and drank over ice. I am only having it once a day because of the date but it really was delicious! 

Today I drank my coffee with plain unsweetened almond milk, and it was suprisingly wonderful! I'm definitely feeling the headache/hangover today, which is so weird! I guess I didn't realize what a dairy addict I was, and how much sugar is in just about everything! Went to the u-pick Farmer's Market today, and bought a whole heap of zuchini, and some carrots for roasted carrot bisque! Yum!

2 hours ago, Whole30ally said:

Happy day 2 to everyone- What have been your yummiest eats so far? The web has so many great recipes. This was my dinner and leftovers for lunch. Was really delicious. 

http://www.jaysbakingmecrazy.com/2015/06/29/paleo-chicken-and-broccoli/

Happy day 2 to you! I made this sauce over the weekend, It is great on chicken and veggies. It has great flavor!

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

DH and I started our 2nd Whole 30 yesterday, as well!  First one was June 1-30... it ended up being a good (dare I say bonding!?!) experience.  We both lost a little weight and felt great. Then, we went on vacation in Vegas for 4th of July.  Let's just say that we enjoyed ourselves a little too much.  ;) And July turned into August and... now we're back at it!

We have 5 daughters, two still at home (10 and 12) and one who lives nearby with her hubby and baby.  So, when we do 'family dinner' I usually fix a Whole 30 protein and lots of veggies, plus a side of bread or rice or something carby for them to add.  Then, I have older DD take home the leftover carbs so we don't have to look at them.

One of the things I'm hoping to do this go-round is be a little more adventurous with recipes, so thanks to all who are posting links!  One recipe that I just discovered is the Greek salad on p. 278 of the Whole30 book.  Instead of lettuce, I use spiralized zucchini (yes, it's that time of year in the garden) and I add leftover roasted chicken for protein to make it a complete lunch.  It is so good -- I will definitely take along a big batch when we're invited out to potlucks or bbqs. 

Good luck everyone!  Look forward to hearing how it's going over the next month...

Day three down.  Caught a cold from my husband and wanted Emergen C (has fructose) or Alka Seltzer cold med (three kinds of sugar) but forgoed those for apple cider vinegar.  A miracle!!  Just a small glug in a mason jar of water took my sore throat away and is relieving my congestion now too.  Also drank an entire gallon of water each day so far.  Had some boring chicken and vegetable for dinner tonight because I was. just. so. tired.  Took a 2 hour nap after school.  Also very cranky and annoyed with husband  Now I have a little heartburn :angry: but on we go.  Hitting the sack early.

Hows everyone else feeling?

Two days under our belts... How are we all doing?

I had a good first two days... No headaches but a little wound up going to sleep at night.. Not uncommon for this time of the year, however. Energy is good.. Even on my feet all day with my wonderful sixth graders! If I'm hungry between meals there's not much I can do about it due to my class schedule. Trouble time for me has always been late afternoon when I get home and I'm HUNGRY!

Last night I hadn't planned dinner but our son and his girlfriend stopped by and I was able to through together a tasty meal of beef/pork patties on the grill (1 pound of each combined with a few spices), sugar beets from our garden, watermelon, and delicious fresh butternut squash crinkles (from trader joes) sautéed in coconut oil look just like French fries (and taste better)!

I'd love to hear how others are doing as we start day 3... After tonight we'll be one-tenth of the way through our challenge!!!! Katrina 

Good morning all!

Sounds like a few of us are riding the struggle bus, but for the most part, everyone seems to be doing well!

What's everyone's weekend plan? I feel like the first weekend is a big test. I have an engagement party on Saturday night, but luckily the bride just finished a similar 30-day plan, so when she heard about mine, assured me there would be club soda and veggies for me to snack on. I've gotten through lots of fun events before being the Sober Sally, so hoping I won't have any issues. 

Loving the recipe swaps too! I've been pretty boring this week since I was traveling last weekend and didn't get to grocery shop, but I'm loving the Whole30 recipes instagram account!

On September 7, 2016 at 5:45 AM, Happy Camper said:

Coffee has been a part of my morning routine for a long time. I love the smell (and the sound) of coffee in the morning. Even though I am only on Day 2, this program is really making me aware of my daily routine, which seems to mindless at times.  I may consider phasing coffee out of my morning routine over time.

Thanks for the thought provoking question!

It was apart of my morning routine too. I can't stand the stuff now unless it has bad stuff in it. It turns out it really upsets my system and I feel so much better with out it now. I started drink tea in the morning and prefer it better. I still miss the smell though.

21 hours ago, kindergartencowgirl said:

Day three down.  Caught a cold from my husband and wanted Emergen C (has fructose) or Alka Seltzer cold med (three kinds of sugar) but forgoed those for apple cider vinegar.  A miracle!!  Just a small glug in a mason jar of water took my sore throat away and is relieving my congestion now too.  Also drank an entire gallon of water each day so far.  Had some boring chicken and vegetable for dinner tonight because I was. just. so. tired.  Took a 2 hour nap after school.  Also very cranky and annoyed with husband  Now I have a little heartburn :angry: but on we go.  Hitting the sack early.

Hows everyone else feeling?

I'm in the same boat! I got a cold on the day I started and haven't been sick in nearly 2 years! To be honest, it's doing a great job of masking whatever withdrawal symptoms I have and I have no cravings because I feel sick... So maybe a blessing in disguise! Haha!

I roasted a chicken last night and made chicken soup out of half of it with kale, celery, carrots, onions and cauliflower rice and it was amazing!!! I loosely followed this recipe: http://whole30.com/2011/02/stm-feed-a-cold/

I need to try the apple cider vinegar trick! Feel better!

Day 3 in the books!  How is everybody feeling?  I'm a 1st timer with TERRIBLE habits and can't believe I haven't gotten a headache. Really enjoying the food- I highly recommend the stuffed roasted peppers from the book and adding meat to the basic tomato sauce with zucchini noodles.  Feeling great, a little tired, and I do have a few patchy rashes.  3-4 bumps, like poison ivy.  Coincidentally the daily email said it's one of the early signs your body is reacting as it's supposed to.   Does anyone else have this?  

Hope you're all eating well and feeling proud!  

I admit, as I face the weekend, it's seeming like a big struggle. I'm going out to dinner tonight and finding something on the menu I could eat was a struggle--and I know I should be empowered by my food choices and to talk to the waitstaff about it, but honestly more often than not, the waiters end up looking confused or annoyed. So, I'm struggling with that.

Also, I think I need to really sit down and remind myself why I'm doing this. Weight loss is always top of mind (even though I usually lose around 3 points on a Whole30, nothing shocking), because I'm already a bit frustrated with the dining out issue. 

Ok, thanks for listening!

55 minutes ago, pennylane14 said:

I admit, as I face the weekend, it's seeming like a big struggle. I'm going out to dinner tonight and finding something on the menu I could eat was a struggle--and I know I should be empowered by my food choices and to talk to the waitstaff about it, but honestly more often than not, the waiters end up looking confused or annoyed. So, I'm struggling with that.

Also, I think I need to really sit down and remind myself why I'm doing this. Weight loss is always top of mind (even though I usually lose around 3 points on a Whole30, nothing shocking), because I'm already a bit frustrated with the dining out issue. 

Ok, thanks for listening!

I can relate to how you feel. I went out to dinner on day 2 armed with my homemade salad dressing, assuming I would jut order a salad with some protein.  I ended up getting a bun-less burger topped with a bunch of veggies and put some hot sauce on it. It satisfied me and tasted great! Good luck with the weekend - you got this! :D

Day five, feeling really good!  Pretty much kicked that cold in the a$$!  Been drinking a gallon of water per day.  Grilled up some chicken, burger and compliant hotdogs to keep the protein coming.  Sautéed up a mess of squash, cabbage, onions, cauliflower and spinach, had that for breakfast this morning with some eggs and sweet potatoes.  Forgot how much I love eating like this!  Organic strawberries along with lunch today took care of my sweet craving.  Bring on the weekend

So I survived dinner last night (actually got a really good skillet with mahi mahi, roasted tomatoes, and some other veggies), stared down the chips and salsa. Dare I say I woke up today feeling invincible? Not because of my food choices, but because of my willpower. So, yay?

Tomorrow is a 6 mile run in my half marathon training. Kind of dreading it. 

So I'm stuck in a rut. The same thing happened during my last Whole30 around this time. I'm tired and I'm way overthinking what to prepare for meals for the week. I still have yet to shop and start meal prep which is just causing more anxiety! Anyone else feeling this way?

Good Morning!

Day 7 and I feel great. I am spending alot of time on meal prep and cooking but the pay off is wonderful :)

The only downside is that I am not sleeping soundly. I feel a bit jittery when trying to relax to go to sleep.

Anyone else experience this? Is this normal? 

Prior to Whole30, I could sleep without a problem, every night!

On 9/6/2016 at 9:38 AM, Whole30ally said:

This is an issue for me too. I was pleasantly surprised today with my coffee. I did a cup of brewed coffee, one mejdool date and half a cup of coconut milk. Pinch of cinnamon. Blended it and drank over ice. I am only having it once a day because of the date but it really was delicious! 

I tried your coffee idea over the weekend. It was great!  Probably not something I should drink everyday, but may have it once a week, when wanting some good coffee. Thanks for sharing your idea!

1 hour ago, Happy Camper said:

Good Morning!

Day 7 and I feel great. I am spending alot of time on meal prep and cooking but the pay off is wonderful :)

The only downside is that I am not sleeping soundly. I feel a bit jittery when trying to relax to go to sleep.

Anyone else experience this? Is this normal? 

Prior to Whole30, I could sleep without a problem, every night!

For me, I've gotten in the habit of reading in bed with a cup of sleepytime tea for 30-60 minutes before falling asleep. I feel wide awake when I lie down, but totally exhausted soon enough! A far cry from the glass of wine + tv that used to put me to sleep, haha!

On 9/4/2016 at 11:30 AM, TeacherKatrina said:

I am! My two sisters and I are all starting (we each live in a different state) and my husband is on board ... We're empty nesters, I'm a teacher.. So this coincides with my first day with students in the classroom. I'm looking forward to the structure and fresh start feeling that comes this time of year. I just signed up for the whole30 daily newsletter too.  

image.jpg

I'm a teacher too!

Chicken and burgers on the grill are becoming boring, tonight dinner was pork chops with apples and sauerkraut with a spinach salad alongside. I bought the Tessemae's balsamic vinegarette dressing - disappointing. Mine is so much better - equal parts olive oil and balsamic vinegar with a dollop of grainy mustard to emulsify. Made the Whole30 mayonnaise yesterday... Delicious! Whole30 BBQ sauce is next on my list! My husband's birthday is Wednesday and he loves ribs so I may make those for him .... no cake this year.

Shopping yesterday I stocked up on adelles chicken and apple sausage, fruits and veggies including lotsa onions, and bought ingredients to make meatballs with marinara (I'll serve over roasted spaghetti squash). My sister made the butternut squash soup and recommends it, so I'll make that this coming weekend. 

I've always slept well and felt I had good energy levels (up at 6.... Keep going until 9 or ten pm when my head hits the pillow... Then up before 6 again... even on weekends!) but it's hard to gauge how the whole30 is affecting me when I factor in the start of the school year. 

One week down... Anyone else out there feel like sharing?

Archived