I'm pretty well speechless :(

Well, I'm pretty much speechless right about now. The dish I made for dinner was incrediblly hot so I was trying to think of ways to cool it down. So I got a can of Coconut milk out and thought that that might help. Rang DH to see if he thought it was a good combo and if he would eat it and it was agreed that I would try it in a little dish first before adding it to the whole pot.

I opened the can put some in a bowl and dished some of the stew from the crockpot into the dish, mixed and ate it. Still VERY spicy but managable. For the husband and son I will make rice for them.

I decided to see what was in the can AFTER having had some and it read: SKIM MILK, MILK and Coconut flavouring!!!

GASP SHOCK HORROR! It was a tin of evaporated coconut FLAVOURED MILK!!! I had at least three table spoons of it. I kind of feel devastated and sad at all that hard work I put in and I have to start over at DAY ONE! ACK!! :( :( :( :( Dang!!

ETA: I actually feel like this is going to knock me off my whole game now....the mind stuff that is.

Wow, that sucks. Coconut flavoured milk?? I didn't think we had products like that in Australia! What section of the supermarket did you find that in?

I guess all you can do is take it as a lesson learned in always reading ingredient lists and move on. Have you tried using the Ayam brand of coconut milk? It's just coconut and water, no additives and both Coles and Woolworths carry it in the Asian food section.

I'm learning this: Trust No One. Trust No Label (or, you know, the big print. Gotta check the fine print....) It's amazing the things I've assumed would be WHole30 compliant that turned out to be culprits. That in itself is an education.

I am new at this, but i say don't worry so much!!! If you are making a lifestyle change with your diet, one accidental discrepency isn't going to kill you. You are going to keep going even after 30 days! So don't think of it as having to "start all over again". It is one minor hitch. You will be more careful when purchasing from now on.

• 5 weeks later...

I know how you feel, I got to day 23 and picked up a coffee my husband bought me with milk in it ( an old habit) and drank it without thinking. I am not sure what I expected to happen, but nothing did, however, I have started another 30 days anyway as my craving for sugar is still not gone and the holidays are approching.

Keep reading lables, if anything it is an eye opener as to what we are were putting into our bodies. Good luck on your journey

Archived