Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

@FightingHashi you want your pre-WO to be protein and fat. The easiest thing would be to cook enough protein to have leftovers -- baked or grilled chicken, meatballs, burger patties, compliant hot dogs would all be easy to carry with you, add some olives or mayo or avocado/guac for the fat.

@tiglilygirl we'd really recommend that bars of any kind be for emergency situations. For post-WO, you want lean protein and starchy vegetable, so the bars are not really great for that -- again, making enough food to have leftovers is probably the easiest. Grilled or baked chicken breast or water-packed tuna are popular post-WO protein choices, along with some sweet potato or other starchy vegetable.

Pre- and Post-WO don't need to be huge, just a few bites. Pre-WO may not be necessary, it depends on when you last ate -- if you're working out first thing in the morning and waiting until your post-WO would put your first meal more than an hour after you wake up, it's best to try to have a pre-WO, and if you're working out later in the day and it's been several hours since you ate and you feel you would need some food to get through your workout, then have something, but if not you may not need something pre-WO.

Post-WO is more important for recovery. This article talks more about that.

2 hours ago, FightingHashi said:

Pre-WO: hard boiled egg, carrots, apple   - ANYONE HAVE ANY GOOD QUICK AND EASY SNACK IDEAS? I don't want to get tired of eggs too fast

Have you tried tinned fish?  I like sardines and mackerel.  They are SO good for you with the best kinds of fat and calcium.

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

@FightingHashi you want your pre-WO to be protein and fat. The easiest thing would be to cook enough protein to have leftovers -- baked or grilled chicken, meatballs, burger patties, compliant hot dogs would all be easy to carry with you, add some olives or mayo or avocado/guac for the fat.

@tiglilygirl we'd really recommend that bars of any kind be for emergency situations. For post-WO, you want lean protein and starchy vegetable, so the bars are not really great for that -- again, making enough food to have leftovers is probably the easiest. Grilled or baked chicken breast or water-packed tuna are popular post-WO protein choices, along with some sweet potato or other starchy vegetable.

Pre- and Post-WO don't need to be huge, just a few bites. Pre-WO may not be necessary, it depends on when you last ate -- if you're working out first thing in the morning and waiting until your post-WO would put your first meal more than an hour after you wake up, it's best to try to have a pre-WO, and if you're working out later in the day and it's been several hours since you ate and you feel you would need some food to get through your workout, then have something, but if not you may not need something pre-WO.

Post-WO is more important for recovery. This article talks more about that.

So it is frowned upon to have an epic bar after working out? It is only meat, I am unsure why it is not good choice for people on the go without a cooler. I look forward to hearing your response :). 

• Administrators

@tiglilygirl - any bar; meat or fruit/nut or egg-white, is for emergencies only. Typically you can throw some chicken breast in a baggie with some cubed sweet potato into your gym bag and you will be fine eating it up to a couple hours later; no cooler required.

The bars are suitable nutrition replacement if you are under an emergency situation. They are not completely comparable to whole foods.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, tiglilygirl said:

I have two questions, if we can find compliant almond milk, is it Whole30 to drink a glass with a meal? I hope I am making sense. 

Second, does anyone have any breakfast suggestions that could utilize coconut milk (not as a coffee creamer)? 

Thanks! 

We really recommend that you do not drink your calories. Liquid calories are recognized and digested by the body in a completely different way than calories that you chew. The milk-drinking habit is one that really should be put aside for the duration of your Whole30 so that you can assess how your body reacts and behaves when you are eating solely whole-foods nutrition. Splash coconut milk or almond milk in your coffee, use coconut milk in a curry or a soup but don't drink them outright. 

Day 4 for me is actually going pretty well. I'm cranky and tired, but am also PMSing, so lucky me!!! Just trying to power through at the office as I'll be working from home tomorrow. Yippee!! No random interruptions at my desk to annoy me while detoxing. :-)

B - 3 eggs scrambled with peppers, onions, kale, and guac

L - garbage salad w/fajita chicken and avocado

D - apple cider pulled pork w/mashed sweet potato (am meeting friends for happy hour, so this is a leftover meal on the run tonight - no drinking and no appetizers for me!!) 

Day 4:

B: 2 fried eggs over ground pork, green pepper, roasted potato and onion (do you call it a "hash" if everything is chopped up fine and cooked?)

L: tuna salad w/ mayo, hard boiled egg, greens and other veggies, OLIVES!!! (why did I not realize sooner that olives were IN?) and balsamic dressing

D: chicken curry (disaster dish - I'm not a bird girl to begin with, it is WAY too spicy - and I like hot, I cooked it a little too long in the crockpot, then forgot to add the coconut milk and nuts until we were halfway done eating instead of 1/2 an hour before turning it off).  But I'm choking it down.  

I'm also confused by some of the abbreviations but am just trying to figure it out and not post too much here ;)

Off to make butternut stuff, although I did't get outside before it got dark to pick my kale and chard for the one dish (raining all day here in NY).  I'll have to see what kind of progress I can make on those dishes without all the ingredients.  Also want to make another dressing (the balsamic from the book was good).  And maybe some canned salmon salad with the last of my mayo.  I'm on the road tomorrow so will be my first day not pampering myself by working from home.  And my afternoon stop usually has a fancy homemade Caribbean lunch on Fridays.  

@tiglilygirlOk, so for an "emergency" Pre-WO snack, I did find and get an EPIC bar, because I had nothing and crossfit definitely requires energy.  I actually thought when you said an EPIC bar, I was thinking like a cliffbar or something "sweet", had no idea it was meat, but I loved it! 

I do understand we should not be substituting BARS if we can help it. Keeping that in mind and I'll trying to cook up some chicken or something for future Pre-WO snacks.

End of my workday and more house selling stress has come in to the picture.  We were supposed to close on MOnday, but it looks like the deal is dying and I am really realizing now how food is related to stress and how I have coped in the past with "rewarding myself" with something I really enjoy eating to make me "feel better".  It was always just a Hot chocolate, so nothing crazy like eating a dozen donuts, but it's been my go-to for a long time.  Trying desperately to relieve the stress and reaching for carrots instead at the moment, just to kill the urge.

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, habanero said:

I'm also confused by some of the abbreviations but am just trying to figure it out and not post too much here ;)

There a list of common acronyms here. And yes, a hash is when you chop or shred everything together and cook it -- think hashbrown potatos, but you can do it with other veggies too.

TGIF! Had a killer workout at OTF yesterday/DAY 4 in the early AM, had 2 hardboiled eggs before & a handful of nuts... post W was spaghetti squash with chili (leftover) and a 1/2 sweet potato.  Hit a personal best on the rower which shocked me.

B: coffee with nutpods, 1/2 of spinach frittata w/ spicy mayo

L: roasted chicken + veggies w/ spicy mayo

D: *this was a victory for me! We had plans to go to dinner with friends at a mediterranean place.  I called ahead to check on meats, oils used for cooking, EVERYTHING.  Pretty much the only option was kafta kabob (grilled ground beef and lamb seasoned with onions garlic parsley and spices on romaine boats) as everything was clean & cooked in correct oil/cooking fat.  I passed up the hummus, baba ghanoug, tzazitski with a little sadness but a lot less than I expected.  Had a big bowl of carrots on the side instead. Not bad.

Today, DAY 5:

B: 3 eggs over turkey/apple/onion/butternut squash hash and handful of blueberries, coffee with nutpods

L: small piece of spinach frittata, sautéed spicy kale/onions/tomatoes, pesto shrimp (from whole30), cucumber if needed

D: steak salad w/ cilantro-lime mayo (from whole 30 - husband's request!)

Have a great day/start of the weekend everyone! 

37 minutes ago, Idee said:

Hi I'm Idee

I just started the Whole 30 on Wednesday 10/26.  I'm feeling very Flemmy (is that a word) and also not hungry.  Anyone else not hungry?

Welcome.  Yes there is lots of "not hungry" and "funny tummies" going around.  Read through earlier posts or in a nutshell....make your template meal and eat as much as you can of it, save rest for snack if needed, eat every 4-5 hours, hang in there it'll pass, your body is adjusting.

@maggie_h congrats on the personal best!  I have felt really strong this week despite being exhausted in the afternoons.  Good thing I go to OTF first thing.  Are you participating in Hell Week?  I've done 4 days this week and taking today off.  I need to complete 6 out of 8 days so figured today was a perfect day to take off.  I'm planning a walk at some point so I'm not a total slug.

Happy Day 5.  Crazy dreams and funny tummy is my theme from yesterday.  Seriously....had the craziest dream about Cheez Its where I was collecting bags of them and I needed MORE.  I didn't eat any, so I was compliant even in my dream, but it was so bizarre.  And I haven't eaten Cheez Its in YEARS!  My tummy has been feeling weird.  Not hungry and not upset just a weird sorta feeling.  I know it'll pass, but it took me way longer than usual to fall asleep last night.

Here's what today looks like:

B:  egg roll in a bowl (pork, cabbage, carrots, onions) with 2 eggs on top cooked in ghee, black coffee

L:  chicken satay burger with sesame seed dressing, cauli rice, green salad with anchovy vinaigrette

D:  cincinnatti chili over zucchini noodles, white potato

No workout today, but I'm planning a walk with the dog and I'm getting a massage!!! :wub:

My oldest son got engaged last night.  What a happy event and all I could think of was I'm in the "kill everything stage." 

I wanted to a glass of wine or beer to celebrate but I was able to let that go. 

I struggled with breakfast this morning, didn't feel like eggs but I ate one anyway.

B= 1 egg, approved tuna, whole 30 mayo, over mixed greens and tomato, 1/2 apple

L=Leftover chicken hash with 1/2 avacado

S= Not sure, probably shrimp with broccoli, cauliflower and sweet potato

Happy Day 5!!!

2 minutes ago, maggie_h said:

@snowflower I'm not. :( I only do 8/month - 2/week at OTF.  With planning to start this Whole30 round I just didn't think to add the classes.  4 in a row is amazing, way to go!  I thought yesterday was tough enough (uhh, 60 reps?). 

OMG 60 reps!  "Silence of the Limbs"??? More like "Screaming of the limbs"! :P  

Help with the acronyms - what is OTF?

Feeling you all who have had to juggle your usual crazy routines today.  Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep for hours, then woke up late and I have a busy day today (the whole first part of this week I arranged to be work from home with a lighter schedule of meetings and projects).  So here I am scrambling:

B: blueberries (I ate them first because I have had hardly any fruit all week - I keep forgetting then by the time I remember it is too much inbetween meals and I'm not hungry for it anyway, but have been jonesing them), 2 fried eggs, pork, pepper, roasted potato and onion (same as yesterday except the blueberries)

L: packed a large salad with 2 hard boiled eggs, some roasted veggies chopped in there - cauliflower and brussels, and will try to pick up some olives to throw in (balsamic, olive oil and lemon dressing0

D: not sure, but I have lots of good options ready to go in the fridge

QUESTION ABOUT BONE BROTH:  Does anyone else drink this or use it in cooking?  I have a wicked collection of beef and haven't done anything other than use in soups.  Looking for ideas.

What do you do with coconut milk?  I've got more than half a can left from a recipe and I'm not sure what to do with it.

Congrats PaulaWala - on the engagement and sticking to it!  I am specifically trying to avoid going out this first week so I can get it under my belt.  

• Administrators

@habanero - OTF is Orange Theory Fitness and I will add it to the abbreviations post linked above as it seems to be becoming more and more popular.

I drink bone broth on the regular (used to do it daily) and use it for soups and stews, for sure! I noticed an amazing improvement in my hair and nails after I'd been having it daily for a few months and that year we had it every day we didn't get so much as a sniffle. I made and freeze in 2 or 3 cup portions in mason jars. 

Coconut milk I use daily in my coffee. You could also make a simple curry.....fry & drain ground meat, add shredded cabbage...coleslaw mix works fast and easy here....add fresh green beans cut in half on an angle.  Cook for a bit to break down the cabbage. Meantime, put the coconut milk in a jar/container, add curry powder, cumin, garam masala, salt and shake it up. Pour over your meat/veggies and let it simmer until it's all tender and a bit thickened. One-pan, 15 minutes, delicious! 

This week has been really hectic and I don't think it is going to slow down anytime soon. 

Anyway, I have stuck to the plan the past 3 days (started Tuesday). Yesterday, I was really in the I Hate Everything phase. Came home late, after work, getting things ready for the next day and snapped at my husband when I couldn't find something. I did not mean it to come out as angry as it did, but I am chalking it up to W30 and exhaustion. I have been so tired the last few days as well. Today seems to be going better as far as exhaustion goes, but it is only 10am. LOL I also got headaches  in the evenings of day 2 and 3. Hopefully this phase is over. 

Well, here we go, into the weekend. The toughest part for me, but I got this. Enjoy the weekend everyone and Happy Halloween!!!

Meal Plan today: 
B: egg muffins and 1/2 avocado 

L: Lettuce wrapped chicken tacos with green chile salsa with Sweet potatoe 

D: Compliant sausage and some kind of veggie.

• Administrators

Hi @MuseM - just wanted to speak to the headaches at night issue. Could you let us know first how much water you're drinking each day? Also, how many eggs are in the egg muffins. You seem to be eating fairly lightly and that may be contributing to your exhaustion, headache and snappy mood. Make sure you are adding fat to each meal and that you aren't starved in between. You should be able to comfortably go 4-5 hours between meals. If this isn't the case, bump up the amounts of all protein, veggies and fat.

DAY 6....I slept well last night, but had a lot of dreams. I am a horrible sleeper so I hope this continues to improve. I still feel puffy, stomach still bloated and love handles haven't budged. I am just hoping that by eating all this fat I don't actually gain weight. I know that usually doesn't happen though- I am following the rules, I just get overwhelmed with the amount of oil and fat I am eating- I think I sound like a broken record by now!

Breakfast: Turkey sausage (ground) with sweet potato slices, peppers and onions cooked in olive oil with some previously frozen spinach. One serving of trail mix. 

Lunch: Marinara Chicken with mixed veggies- cooked in olive oil, black olives, and hopefully an avocado (if it is ripe)

Dinner: I am going to try @ladyshanny simple curry recipe. I will probably have an avocado or banana as well. 

My goal is to get the gym, but I have a vet appt. and a fall carnival today, along with an empty fridge that needs filling- so we will see how the cards fall. 

I hope everyone has a great Friday!! :)

Archived