Starting Monday, 10/24- looking for support group

CristinaV

31 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

@habanero - OTF is Orange Theory Fitness and I will add it to the abbreviations post linked above as it seems to be becoming more and more popular.

I drink bone broth on the regular (used to do it daily) and use it for soups and stews, for sure! I noticed an amazing improvement in my hair and nails after I'd been having it daily for a few months and that year we had it every day we didn't get so much as a sniffle. I made and freeze in 2 or 3 cup portions in mason jars. 

Coconut milk I use daily in my coffee. You could also make a simple curry.....fry & drain ground meat, add shredded cabbage...coleslaw mix works fast and easy here....add fresh green beans cut in half on an angle.  Cook for a bit to break down the cabbage. Meantime, put the coconut milk in a jar/container, add curry powder, cumin, garam masala, salt and shake it up. Pour over your meat/veggies and let it simmer until it's all tender and a bit thickened. One-pan, 15 minutes, delicious! 

Why type of ground meat do you use? Do you use fresh green beans? Thanks!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

You could also make a simple curry.....fry & drain ground meat, add shredded cabbage...coleslaw mix works fast and easy here....add fresh green beans cut in half on an angle.  Cook for a bit to break down the cabbage. Meantime, put the coconut milk in a jar/container, add curry powder, cumin, garam masala, salt and shake it up. Pour over your meat/veggies and let it simmer until it's all tender and a bit thickened. One-pan, 15 minutes, delicious! 

This sounds delicious, but what's "garam masala"? I assume I can find it at my whole foods store. Liquid...herb?  Thanks!

I started that same day, Oct. 24 for the first time. Felt very great until today. Headache and just bitchy. I'm a little overwhelmed by this site. Is there a smaller group somewhere? Mostly just for support and venting???  Did you guys form one? 

2 minutes ago, FightingHashi said:

This sounds delicious, but what's "garam masala"? I assume I can find it at my whole foods store. Liquid...herb?  Thanks!

garam masala is a spice blend...you can make your own or find at Whole Foods.  I make a similar curry to ladyshanny's but use Thai Kitchen's Green Curry (found close to the coconut milk at Whole Foods) and I always add mushrooms. :rolleyes:  You can use leftover meat too....chicken breast or thigh, pork shoulder, or any ground meat.  Just steam the vegetables separately, throw in your cooked leftover meat and warm up with your coconut milk and spices.  SO FAST and delish!

4 minutes ago, Mamaburk said:

I started that same day, Oct. 24 for the first time. Felt very great until today. Headache and just bitchy. I'm a little overwhelmed by this site. Is there a smaller group somewhere? Mostly just for support and venting???  Did you guys form one? 

You can follow this thread for support AND venting.  Hang in there....it gets better.

Day 5!!! Wow, I have to say this first week is going at a decent pace and I'm feeling like I could keep up with the 30 day program. My biggest challenge is just making sure my food is prepped OR figuring out what I can eat in a jam. Like tonight, I realized my husband wants me to go with him to grab my step-son and it's right around dinner time. Normally I'd probably say, "well it's the weekend, let's indulge and just eat out on the way home". But now I must decide if I might just snack before we leave and have a late dinner or?

Aside from my personal struggles with GERD, the week has been great and I'm feeling accomplished! I honestly don't feel any different yet, aside from maybe some sugar withdrawl headaches, but maybe the "feeling" will come later down the road. 

B: Same as all week - LOL - Two egg muffins, hashbrowns and a handful of strawberries

L: Leftovers, Beef Tapa, brocoli and sweet potatoes.  OMG! I LOVED this sweet potato recipe last night. I couldn't get enough of them and it was SO easy! I plan to prep a bunch of these to have with protein for lunches next week.  http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/roasted-herb-sweet-potato-bites/

D: Again, still undecided, but my PLAN was originally a chicken stir fry W30 approved. 

I brought some carrots to work for a snack. Because of my GERD it's difficult for me to have the long breaks between meals because it causes throat and stomach pains. Although this is one ailment I was REALLY hoping to help on the W30. We shall see.

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi @MuseM - just wanted to speak to the headaches at night issue. Could you let us know first how much water you're drinking each day? Also, how many eggs are in the egg muffins. You seem to be eating fairly lightly and that may be contributing to your exhaustion, headache and snappy mood. Make sure you are adding fat to each meal and that you aren't starved in between. You should be able to comfortably go 4-5 hours between meals. If this isn't the case, bump up the amounts of all protein, veggies and fat.

@ladyshanny I eat 2 egg muffins which contain about 2 eggs each, loaded with veggies in it, and 1/2 an avocado. I drink LOTS of water, always have. I would say I drink between 68-85oz a day. The other day I was pretty full after breakfast and lunch (brisket and squish.) Yesterday was a more difficult day, I didn't eat as much as I normally do because of my schedule that day and I just did not have the appetite. I forced myself to eat, when I could. So, this most definitely may have contributed to my snappy mood. Thank you for your reply and advice!! I'm still learning. :)

5 hours ago, habanero said:

QUESTION ABOUT BONE BROTH:  Does anyone else drink this or use it in cooking?  I have a wicked collection of beef and haven't done anything other than use in soups.  Looking for ideas.

I have not been drinking bone broth since starting the whole 30, but I did when I did Paleo before.  I like it best when I scramble an egg or 2 and drizzle it in boiling broth, it makes like an egg drop soup.  I usually add scallions and some fresh ginger too.

I also freeze it in ice cube trays to add a few cubes to something that needs liquid.  This is my go to replacement for white wine right now!

Today was an early morning for me, made tougher by the fact I had to work late last night.  I did not sleep well, but I frequently don't when I only have a few hours to sleep.

I did manage to make breakfast without waking anyone today :) 

I'm doing well so far resisting non-approved foods.  I usually have the will power of a guppy, so turning down all the Friday treats that EVERYONE seems to have brought to work today feels good.  Tonight we have a carnival at my kid's school, which is immediately after work.  Smelling foods is a trigger for me, and pizza and popcorn are being served.  I know I can resist eating, but I also know that I will be hungry when I leave.

I'm super excited for the weekend and some time off so I can actually eat when I am hungry, instead of "break time".  Being a nurse I do not have a lot of say as to when my breaks are.  I have to go when I have a break in patient's or have someone to watch.  If I choose not to go at my designated time, I may not be able to go later.

Food today:

Breakfast (0400): spaghetti squash with mushrooms and spinach and 3 eggs and olive oil drizzled on top- left me super full

Second meal (0930): not even a little hungry- had a head of romaine, with guacamole and chicken breast and pumpkin chia/flax seeds

Third meal (1400): slightly hungry- half an acorn squash stuffed with homemade sausage, chestnuts, mushrooms, and spinach.  I added 1/4 apple to change the flavor a little.  I get tired of eating the same thing every day.

I am guessing that I will have a 4th meal/ large snack tonight since I will not go to bed until 10 or so.  I know that this is going to be adding to many calories, but my main goal is to stick with approved foods.

My mood is pretty good.  I don't feel different yet or have less aches and pains.

1 minute ago, Bethjl said:

quick question....when having tuna from a can with mayo (homemade of course), how much is a serving?  I usually eat the whole can in one meal...too much?

I made a can at the beginning of the week and got 3 lunch servings out of it.  Mixed with mayo, celery and onion.  Although once or twice I added a hard boiled egg too.  I'm glad you asked this question.  I am definitely having a hard time with all this meat.  I think I am probably eating too much, but like someone else said, my main focus this first week is to get through by sticking to the plan.  

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Bethjl said:

quick question....when having tuna from a can with mayo (homemade of course), how much is a serving?  I usually eat the whole can in one meal...too much?

Look at the palm of your hand, the length, width, and height -- if the can of tuna looks like 1-2 palm-sized servings, then it's good.

I typically eat the whole can at once, assuming you mean the 5 oz cans, not the bigger family-sized ones that a few brands come in.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, habanero said:

I made a can at the beginning of the week and got 3 lunch servings out of it.  Mixed with mayo, celery and onion.  Although once or twice I added a hard boiled egg too.  I'm glad you asked this question.  I am definitely having a hard time with all this meat.  I think I am probably eating too much, but like someone else said, my main focus this first week is to get through by sticking to the plan.  

Definitely not too much protein if you are only eating a third of a can of tuna with an egg. Remember that proteins and fats can be far more satiating than the foods you might've been used to. Canned fish I find quite nutrient dense and usually end up feeling quite full by the end of the meal. That said though, I get hungry right around 4-5 hours later so I know it's the right amount.

@MuseM Hating all the things was the theme of my day, too!  I was fluctuating between being mad and trying not to cry all day (also not my best time of the month... but this is beyond anything I normally feel).

@tiglilygirl With you on the puffy/bloated mode.  It is definitely not comforting at the moment, but we have to trust in the process, right?

1 hour ago, MFrankRN said:

Is anyone else getting leg cramps?  I am while sleeping.  I have gotten them in the past and my usual way to treat is with tonic water. Unfortunately they are all sweetened.  Does anyone have any other way to get rid of them? 

Yes!! Me too!! I had a banana and a potato with my dinner last night hoping that would help  I've heard extra potassium is the key  

Happy Day 6. Feeling amazing! 

PreWO chicken breast burger, mayo

60 minute OTF "The burpee switch project"...Day 5 of hell week for me  

PostWO chicken breast burger, sweet potato soup, black coffee (I had to choke this down, only ate a tiny bit...maybe 2 oz chicken and 1/2 C soup....I blame it on all of those burpees)

breakfast -- haven't had it yet and not sure I'll be hungry for it, but maybe small bowl of egg roll in a bowl topped with an egg. 

Lunch -- we ALWAYS go out for lunch on Saturday so this will be tricky. Maybe I can convince the family to hit the Whole Foods buffet for lunch?  Usually it's a burger place or BBQ...and don't feel like eating compliant from a place like that  

Dinner -- magic mushroom chicken legs, green salad with olive oil dressing, potato with ghee

Going to work in the yard today (it's beautiful here in Chicagoland!) and maybe make another pot of sweet potato soup. Tomorrow will be a big shopping and cooking day. 

@BethjlRe: the tuna question....I eat a whole can myself if it's for a regular meal

Enjoy the weekend. 

Breakfast today was tuna with guacamole eaten in the car.  

Dinner will be a small grilled steak and some scallops.  I'm not sure of my veggies, for sure lots of mushrooms, purple potatoes and a banana.

We went to the farmers market! I have a ton of mushrooms,  acorn squash, purple potatoes, orange cauliflower, tiny honeycrisp apples, Brussels sprouts, golden beets, regular beets, and bell peppers.

Then to the grocery store for shredded cabbage, oils, and green beans.

I'm so set for food!

Ate in the car because we were going to a theme park after the farmers market but it started raining a couple hours earlier than the forecast said.  And I slept in today until 9. So much better than my 4am wakeups!

DAY 7:

So things are challenging when it is the weekend and also holiday time. Last night my son had his fall carnival and he won a cake and they ate pizza! Today my little is going for a sleep over so I really want to go out to a nice dinner and drinks...however the drinks will have to be scratched. Oh and we are going to the movie too...I have an RX bar and kombucha tea packed. I know they are snacks that I shouldn't need but I need a little leeway during this weekend. I am still compliant.

Breakfast: seasoned ground turkey, 1 egg and sweet potato hash in olive oil, 1.5 servings of trail mix and half of a banana.

Lunch: Ground turkey curry, with an small unripened avocado (yuck), 1 banana.

Dinner: Not sure yet. 

I did go a 30 minute work out at the gym- so yay! 

Now that I have hit week one, I have done a review of my progress. I plan to reduce my trail mix to maybe once every couple of days- and increase my fat in other ways. I bought mayo and olives yesterday, plan to get some ghee this weekend, I the trail mix is becoming an addiction and I need to get away from that eating behavior. 

I slept well last night, dreaming a lot, work up before my alarm and decided to get up and start the day with little league football :).

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone!!

I'm going out to buy trick or treat candy today. One might think, hey no problem, just buy kinds you don't like. There is no such thing. Not worried, though. Somehow I just know I'm going to see this thing through. Leftover candy won't be a problem, as I have 2 college kids and a high schooler here.

Had an amazing day today. Last Saturday I spent on the couch - too tired and too much pain (plantar fasciitis, arthritis) to do anything. This Saturday, after 6 days on program? Got up, made a full breakfast, cleaned the kitchen (and I mean clean - took everything out of cabinets & refrigerator, scrubbed, tossed stuff, reorganized), baked chicken & bacon, made lunch, reorganized the pantry, did laundry, made dinner & now I'm relaxing! Wow!! I am so impressed with how much better I'm feeling. Still fighting cravings, and yes - leg cramps at night. Will have to try a banana. 

B-sweet potato hash, poached eggs L-turkey bacon avocado roll ups w/berries D-coconut chicken, broccoli, mashed sweet potato 

I need some help for tomorrow. Am going to an event that starts at noon. Will probably not get home until 5ish. Any advice on what to do about lunch? I have to leave at 11am, so am not sure what to do. I definitely don't want to be tempted by the off-plan food options.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for an alternative to gum? My pre-program go-to's were gum and mints, so will take any suggestions! Have tried brushing my teeth more often - right flavor, but you don't chew toothpaste. :-) Hopefully will be able to kick this habit, but right now I have a strong want for gum!

Day 6:

Hi Everyone! I was so worried about the weekend rolling around and the temptations that come with running around town and being usually on an odd schedule, but I've stuck to it! Still feeling sad every time I drive by a Starbucks (which is on every corner!) or my local favorite coffee shop that has my hot chocolate I used to enjoy every day.  Tried grabbing a couple new flavors of tea tonight to try out. Still can't seem to find the Tazo Sweet Orange I enjoyed on my plane ride a couple weeks ago.

Honestly, not feeling any big emotional swings. Just feeling pretty "normal", so I'm wondering when I might start to feel "changes" in my body. 

My husband even tried dinner with me tonight and said it "wasn't bad".  He's a super picky eater and hates veggies and it was LOADED with veggies.  It was my first time trying zoodles and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed them. I've tried cauli rice once, but I don't think I cooked it right.  It was still hard and just not what I thought. I tried stir frying it in with a mexican chicken dish I made because I read it would work that way and it wasn't soft like rice at all! Anyone know the BEST way to easily make the cauli rice that actually is the texture of rice? I'm hoping to try it again and see if it works this time, or if I just really can't stand the flavor.

B: Same I've been having - 2 egg muffins, hashbrowns

L: Chicken Breast with herbs and sweet potato bites

D: Chicken Stir fry (http://www.thebettermom.com/the-better-mom/2016/9/3/simple-chicken-veggie-stir-fry) So easy and quick!

Workout: Rest Day

@FightingHashi I have tried to make my own cauliflower rice before and it doesn't turn out that well texture-wise.  I don't have a fine mesh strainer which is something I need to look into! I use trader joe's riced cauliflower for recipes sometimes.

@Kamie102416 I am a big gum chewer as well and have missed that!  I also just don't like not being able to pop a piece of gum or a mint before I go into a meeting... especially with some of these garlic and/or spicy recipes I've been making to eat.

Archived