Something to chew...

Mickey85

Ok, I know chewing without eating is not coold, and nearly every kind of gum is out based on ingredients. That said, is there some kind of gum-like-substance that wouldn't hurt whole-30 progress?

My wife and I are doing whole30 as an attempt to go back to paleo (which we had great success with, then fell off the wagon). This time around tho, she is going to grad school to be an NP and is way stressed about her classes.

While neither of us chew gum with any regularity normally, she does chew gum during tests (once a week max) as a self-soothe tool to help her get through.

I've looked around, and nearly ever gum article from whole30 or paleo sources talk about breath freshening, but that isn't really what this is about...

Any ideas? I already floated toothpicks and cloves, both of which went down like a lead balloon...

• Administrators

I think perhaps because the point is that we are supposed to move away from using putting things in our mouth as self-soothing. Realistically there is nothing about repeatedly chewing a piece of rubberized mint that assuages tension. She could work on learning calming breathing, doing some gentle yoga stretches beforehand, mindfulness etc. She could sip water or tea. She could wear a fidget ring or bracelet. 

Note also that gum chewing for any purpose mimics the beginning of digestion and when no food arrives despite constant chewing, it causes problems with the digestive process and with the ability to hear the body's signals.

I sometimes like to chew on barbie doll shoes (soft tennis shoe types not high heels) and rubber bands (don't swallow them, obviously).

I don't do it on purpose so much as when playing with them (I have a six year old) they somehow end up in my mouth and chewing them is relatively enjoyable.

I have also been known to chew a pacifier- or the rubber bit of a pacifier (this happened when sucking it clean for my daughter after falling on the ground) I am a natural chewer, pencils, pens, finger nails.... so I get it.

(Here I am advising to put things in your mouth that aren't made to go there and may not be clean or even entirely nontoxic.)

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes like to chew on barbie doll shoes (soft tennis shoe types not high heels)

I'm not a pen chewer but I *am* a keep-a-pen-in-my-mouth-and-waggle-it-arounder, so ya, I get it too. I just had to chuckle at the Barbie doll thing and the fact that you specified the specific type of shoe to chew on. I was thinking of a sketch comedy thing, where the tennis shoe chewer would be defending their habit, saying "Hey, at least I'm not like those weird high heel chewers!!" ;) 

Lol!

I have a huge problem putting random things in my mouth, even just as a place to stick it while I use my hands, or absently while thinking.

At one point during flu season while everyone was sick I suddenly realized to my horror that the community front desk pen was in my mouth!!!!!

(Fortunately I did not get sick)

Archived