Red wine might not be my friend anymore

Tahi

I am thrilled with my Whole30 results and am excited about this new lifestyle with more energy, better mood and a healthier body.

Here are my results:

• able to lower all medication dosages
  • clear skin
  • more outgoing
  • happier/less irritable
  • no sugar cravings
  • everything tastes better/more flavorful
  • kicked my Splenda "addiction"
  • no arthritis pain
  • never got sick (even though everyone else in my family did)
  • lost 10 pounds (and never felt hungry after the first few days of sugar withdrawal) 
  • I like people - lol! 

Last night I started my reintro with a half glass of red wine.  To my chagrin and disappointment, I woke up in the middle of the night with a splitting headache. I didn't have a single headache throughout the entire Whole30.  Anyone else experience this? What did you do?  I have a huge wine cellar - this is NOT good news...help me through this...Do I try again?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there! So I tried white wine and it gave me such bad sugar cravings that I had to step away from that also for the time being. I think maybe if limit a small amount of white wine to when I'm eating high protein food it could work. But no headache with the white wine.

What was your experience?

you may have to give up red wine competely - depends if the headache/hangover is worth it?  the alcohol will affect you in different ways, you might make poor food choices if inebriated.  remember, it took your body a whole life time to get used to the levels of alcohol consumption that you had prior to W30 - you'll have to build back up to it slowly, if you really want to.  Alcohol has hidden calories, hidden sugars, can have grains/gluten, sulphites, etc.  I find that drinking at least a pint of water before bed helps to reduce an alcohol headache, mostly because the headache is caused by the dehydration.  Did you get the alcohol sweats?

Archived