Resources for Journaling Symptoms and Successes

Healthy in DC

What do you like to use for keeping a journal? As I'm reading Food Freedom Forever, I realized I've approached the reintroduction phase poorly in my 2 previous Whole30 experiences, and that's why habits or benefits didn't stick. I think for me the key would be to keep a record.

What has been useful for you? An app? Handwriting your journal? Keeping it in a word document? Something else altogether? 

Thanks for your feedback! 

I have two apps I've used successfully to journal. Not specifically just about food, but including food.

Evernote

Penzu

Both are free, with apps on both iOS and Android. Both have subscription options for additional features. Neither app would require payment to keep a food journal long term.

• Moderators

It's great to get ideas from other people, but remember that what ultimately is going to be effective for you is the thing you're comfortable using. If you prefer to hand write things and keep a planner, you may have better luck adding a section to your planner for this. If you do everything electronically, apps like the ones browneyedbeauty mentioned may work great.

I haven't done as much logging of symptoms, but just for keeping track of food, I've found snapping pictures of meals the easiest way to keep track of what I've eaten. I pretty much always have my phone with me, so to take a pic or two of each meal isn't difficult. For a while I posted them on Instagram, but I've also just kept them for myself without posting them anywhere. This might also work if you want a quick way to remember your food, and then refer back to the pictures at the end of each day to write a summary of how things went.

There are also log sections here on the forum, either the Whole30 log section while doing a Whole30, or the Post-Whole30 log section if you're not currently doing Whole30, are doing reintroductions, or are practicing riding your own bike.  These sections are viewable by anyone logged into the forum, but are not searchable or viewable by anyone not logged in, if that makes any difference for you.

I like leather bound field journals. I write everything down that catches my fancy. 

Writing my feelings, my fears, my hopes and general thoughts on just about everything has been an invaluable tool. Many times I have been able to read over what I wrote just a year or two ago and see my flaws in my thinking about food, so on.

Plus, it will keep your hands and mind busy during some inevitable rough patches. 

I teach studio art (at the foundation or beginning level) and I also teach creative thinking to students in all disciplines. All of my classes require students to keep a journal or process log. 

There is no question in my mind, based on my research and also my experience, that keeping a handwritten journal is more effective than a digital one, both in terms of stress and in terms of getting and exploring ideas. 

There are a lot of reasons for this but one of them is the ease with which we can make connections when we hand write. We can circle, draw arrows, annotate, etc in ways that digital apps struggle to emulate. Another reason is that when blocked or frustrated, it's easy to write with one's non-dominant hand, which allows our unconscious to speak. And, the quality of my thought, in terms of the ease with which I can access and investigate my thoughts, fears and dreams, is just higher with analogue tools. 

I've also found the bullet journal technique invaluable for managing my time and the barrage of information coming my way daily. 

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the digital world and keep my calendar and images for inspiration and project to-do lists digitally, using Evernote and other writing tools. 

But for listening to my true self and keeping faith with my real goals, I rely on paper. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the responses! I ended up going with a leather bound unlined journal, because when I sat with it, I realized I need some space to work through the emotions that come up as I change my habits. When I get to re-introduction, I think I'll use an app to capture more quantitative data about my symptoms (Symple looks good) to take to a functional medicine doctor if everything doesn't get cleared up. I appreciate the responses. :)

Archived