Ideas of how to get your mind off of food?

Hey Whole30 fam! 

I'm preparing for my first round beginning January 2nd and because I've tried to get healthy before I know I'm going to struggle with food. At night when the day is over I begin thinking about food and nothing else! It can get a little crazy. So I just wanted to ask everyone what they do to get over the obsession. Do you have any tips or tricks? Or do you have a list of other things to do? 

I get cravings but then I just fixate on a certain food I want and end up giving in just to give myself some peace. It's awful! Hopefully other people can relate! Thanks everyone! 

There are lots of strategies. Here's what works for me:

1. I don't eat after 8 PM (and aim for 7:30). Ever. (Prevents acid reflux). 
  2. I also have a no snacking policy. So, I just don't ever have to even consider eating after dinner. 
  3. I make sure I had plenty of fat with dinner. (Fat helps with satiety and also short circuits sugar cravings.)
  4. My days are full and stressful,  so PM after dinner is reserved for watching Netflix or Amazon Prime. Preferably British mysteries. 
  5. If I'm wound up, I journal and plan or do art-related research.  I really like the Bullet journal system.
  6. If I'm really energetic, I do something on my decluttering project. 
  7. I look forward to breakfast!

On 12/27/2016 at 3:37 PM, ArtFossil said:

There are lots of strategies. Here's what works for me:

1. I don't eat after 8 PM (and aim for 7:30). Ever. (Prevents acid reflux). 
  2. I also have a no snacking policy. So, I just don't ever have to even consider eating after dinner. 
  3. I make sure I had plenty of fat with dinner. (Fat helps with satiety and also short circuits sugar cravings.)
  4. My days are full and stressful,  so PM after dinner is reserved for watching Netflix or Amazon Prime. Preferably British mysteries. 
  5. If I'm wound up, I journal and plan or do art-related research.  I really like the Bullet journal system.
  6. If I'm really energetic, I do something on my decluttering project. 
  7. I look forward to breakfast!

British mysteries? Please tell, I've been a sad sack since Sherlock has been on hiatus. Also, American here, but I have Netflix and Hulu.

4 hours ago, mdjess86 said:

British mysteries? Please tell, I've been a sad sack since Sherlock has been on hiatus. Also, American here, but I have Netflix and Hulu.

I watch more Amazon Prime now (can subscribe to Acorn, British TV channel) but here are a few from Netflix:

Midsomer Murders. Funny and good-hearted and a million seasons.
Rosemary and Thyme. Two female gardening detectives. Ditto about the funny and good=hearted.
The Bletchley Circle. Female WWII code breakers turn sleuths.
The Killing. Dark Danish detective series with smart female lead transplanted to moody, rainy Seattle. Practically British.
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Glamourous 1920's Melbourne female detective. Also practically British.

On 30/12/2016 at 2:30 AM, ArtFossil said:

I watch more Amazon Prime now (can subscribe to Acorn, British TV channel) but here are a few from Netflix:

Midsomer Murders. Funny and good-hearted and a million seasons.
Rosemary and Thyme. Two female gardening detectives. Ditto about the funny and good=hearted.
The Bletchley Circle. Female WWII code breakers turn sleuths.
The Killing. Dark Danish detective series with smart female lead transplanted to moody, rainy Seattle. Practically British.
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. Glamourous 1920's Melbourne female detective. Also practically British.

The Man in the High Castle is AWESOME too - not British but awesome nonetheless

On 12/29/2016 at 2:43 PM, mdjess86 said:

Edit: I'm starting Jan 1 and am totally worried about the same thing!! I think a lot of texts to my mom and BFF are going to happen during those first two weeks

Now that the Whole30 has started I've found that drinking water really does help! It's a little lame but I look forward to drinking mineral water in my fancy wine glass with lots of ice. Plus reading the forum helps me feel connected to the community and I forget all about cravings! Hope you're doing well!! 

On 1/5/2017 at 10:54 PM, AmberRayAnn said:

Now that the Whole30 has started I've found that drinking water really does help! It's a little lame but I look forward to drinking mineral water in my fancy wine glass with lots of ice. Plus reading the forum helps me feel connected to the community and I forget all about cravings! Hope you're doing well!! 

It's going great! I've been drinking a lot of water as well and am surprised by how much I feel I need it, as I literally only drank coke zero beforehand!

On 12/27/2016 at 11:09 AM, AmberRayAnn said:

...and because I've tried to get healthy before I know I'm going to struggle with food. At night when the day is over I begin thinking about food and nothing else! It can get a little crazy.

Just because you phrased it this way, I wanted to mention that strategy #1 should be to eat enough food. Often people associate "get healthy" with "lose weight", and while being at one's ideal weight certainly is one indicator of health, the Whole30 is not inherently a weight-loss program.  Yes there are many reports of people losing weight on the plan, but one factor in this is the elimination of so much extra stuff like junk food and alcohol.  Eating to the recommended template, eating enough to be satiated 4-5 hours between meals without snacking, drinking enough water (1/2 ounce per pound of body weight), adding food around workouts, etc., should ensure that one remains well fed throughout the 30 days.

Archived