Veggie Addict and Carbs

Hey All~

After a few months of attempting high fat, low carb, I'm noticing that my body simply does better with mountains of veggies, as opposed to fatty meats and loads of fat. My body composition doesn't budge with this method, but strangely, responds within days if I replace loads of fat with TONS of veggies (minimal change in daily calorie intake). This seems to go against the theory of fat loss, insulin regulation, ketosis, etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? I don't think this popular method works for me - wonder why?! This is partly why I decided to give Whole30 a shot...I don't have much weight to lose; I just recently noticed this, as I started listening to my body.

I'm looking for affirmation that high fat/low carb isn't be-all end-all (as with what appears to be Primal). This is primarily why I decided to approach Whole9, as (I think) it's more effective in balancing my system. My issue has been "paralysis by analysis" and I've tried to adopt the latest ideas, which don't seem to work as wonderfully, for me, as they do for others. I feel much better with as many whole food/grain-free carbs as possible and my body composition appears to change favorably, when I do this.

I was curious to see if anyone has experienced the same thing, in terms of attempting high fat/low carb with negative results.

I attempted high fat/low carb in the form of carb cycling where I would have 1 or 2 high carb/low fat days and it made me a miserable person. I lost like 3 pounds but I was essentially a psycho.

Personally, I think that trying to relate your food with how your body looks is bound for you to have negative thoughts. Your mind has no control over how your body responds to food, and you will never look the way you want to in your brain. The best thing to do is eat whole foods that make you healthier, move in ways that keep your body happy and get lots of restful sleep. Looking great will be the side effect. Just my $0.02.

This sounds like a great vice to have ;o)

You will do well on this program, I think. Just make sure to get enough protein and some fat (but maybe not tons). And keep a food log, so that if you run into any issues we can help you figure them out.

Welcome!

I'm 3 weeks into whole 30 and feel no agony; I think I'm generally accustomed to eating this way, with the exception of beans/lentils and brown rice. I don't crave them, so far! I am itching for a cocktail on a patio somewhere, however...and drinking water at the game while my Chargers got spanked by the Donkey's wasn't fun :) If you follow football, you might understand why I need an occasional cocktail, as a San Diego fan. But, back to the topic...

It is a great vice and I throw in some coconut oil when I cook the veggies, which makes it just about perfect. I was getting tired of paying attention to my carb ratio (~50g), when I don't consume grains. I can easily surpass that macro level with veggies, alone. I basically use everything coconut; I love it - I even put it on my face :) So, my fats come from the coconut family. Hopefully this doesn't accumulate to consuming too much. Like others, I have to keep nut butters out of the house and I'm surprised I forgot about that giant bag of macadamia nuts in the fridge!

Thanks for the responses - I'll calm down and eat my veggies...

I tried a "high fat/low carb" way of eating as well when I first cut out grains and legumes...it was not favorable for me either. That's what I love about the W30...just eat real food, get enough protein a reasonable amount of fat (mine also come mostly from coconut, avocado and olives) and plenty of veggies (even the starchy ones!). It truly is easy and since everyone knows that "one size doesn't fit all" you can feel free to customize it to your own body. The Meal Map really helps with this too!

I attempted high fat/low carb in the form of carb cycling where I would have 1 or 2 high carb/low fat days and it made me a miserable person. I lost like 3 pounds but I was essentially a psycho.

Personally, I think that trying to relate your food with how your body looks is bound for you to have negative thoughts. Your mind has no control over how your body responds to food, and you will never look the way you want to in your brain. The best thing to do is eat whole foods that make you healthier, move in ways that keep your body happy and get lots of restful sleep. Looking great will be the side effect. Just my $0.02.

Strangely, I also lost a whoppin' 3lbs...of water!

Yep; you're spot on - I need to go with how I feel. I finally implemented that this past week, which is what prompted the thread. I read too much about how carbs aren't necessary; and when I refer to carbs, I'm sincerely only talking about veggies - if the earth supplies it for food, then.....? My body literally stiffens if I only feed myself fat and meat; ick.

I tried a "high fat/low carb" way of eating as well when I first cut out grains and legumes...it was not favorable for me either. That's what I love about the W30...just eat real food, get enough protein a reasonable amount of fat (mine also come mostly from coconut, avocado and olives) and plenty of veggies (even the starchy ones!). It truly is easy and since everyone knows that "one size doesn't fit all" you can feel free to customize it to your own body. The Meal Map really helps with this too!

Ah yes; I left out the avocado and olives (ditto)! My next mission is to attempt to have a sweet potato - I've back myself into the "bad carb!" corner and it's really hard to get out!

Did I miss something?? This isn't a low carb diet?? I thought that the only thing that was really different between the Whole 30 and Primal is that the Whole30 is strict paleo? I'm gonna get off this forum and re-read the Whole30...

Did I miss something?? This isn't a low carb diet?? I thought that the only thing that was really different between the Whole 30 and Primal is that the Whole30 is strict paleo? I'm gonna get off this forum and re-read the Whole30...

No, don't worry, this isn't a low carb way of eating. You get plenty of carbs from veggies and fruit and that's a good thing. It's just that a lot on here, myself included, have had a bit of a low carb background and therefor have quite a bit of baggage about it. For instance I used to, many years, ago, follow the Heller's Carboydrate Addicts Diet and I still have to remind myself it's OK to eat carbs at more than one meal. :)

But no, there's no rationing carbs, weighing carbs or even thinking about carbs on this diet and that truly is liberating. You got it right, the W30 list is just eating totally clean Paleo food and enjoying it :)

The Whole 30 is about eating foods that make you healthier regardless of their macronutrients! It is inherently low carb because you aren't eating grains, but you can have all the root veggies and squash you want!

The Whole 30 is about eating foods that make you healthier regardless of their macronutrients! It is inherently low carb because you aren't eating grains, but you can have all the root veggies and squash you want!

...and it's freeing for those of us who always try to make everything perfect. So glad I found something that gives me permission to listen to my body, again. Now, to stop needing permission and the mission is complete :)

Archived