Snacks

AmitB

• Administrators

Hi @AmitB - the recommendation is to not have snacks but to eat three meals a day, spaced 4-5 hours apart. This allows your hormones to rebalance and gives your digestive system a "rest" between meals. If you do need to eat between meals because your previous meal was undersized or you have longer than 4-5 hours in between, the recommendation is to have a "mini meal" that contains protein, fat and veggies. If you can't manage all three, go for protein and fat or protein and veggies as these are the biggest nutritional bang for your buck and will get you until your next meal better than fruit or nuts.

Some examples of portable proteins and fats:

chicken thigh, meatballs, burger patty, hard boiled egg, cubed steak, canned fishes (sardines, salmon, tuna etc), avocado, mayo, olives, limited nuts (think: one closed handful every other day at most). Some portable veggie ideas: steamed and cooled brocoli or green beans, sweet potato spears, baby carrots etc.

You're really meant to be looking to eating actual meal-type foods rather than the typical "snack" foods that tend to be more hand-to-mouth and hard to stop/mindless.

Hi @ladyshanny this is helpful, I usually;y have breakfast at 8.00, lunch around 1.00 and dinner around 6.00 but I go to bed around 11.00 and I use to have some snacks in between my meals :), I will do my best to follow 3 meals a day pattern also if I am not wrong I can have green tea right :)?

and one more question where can I find details of whole30 compliant things like hot sauce, bacon etc.

• Administrators

Green tea is fine but we recommend to limit caffeine to before noon so as not to negatively impact your sleep. If you are eating enough at your meals you should not need an after dinner snack. Your body will naturally be winding down at this time so make sure you really assess "hunger" vs "habit/desire/craving" when looking at post-dinner eating. Make sure you create your meals so that they keep you going for 4-5 hours. This, often, means more food than you are used to eating. 1-2 palm sizes of protein, 2-3 cups of vegetables (salad greens would be much more) and 1-2 servings of fat. Check out the meal template linked below.

As far as compliant things, it's up to the individual to read the label of whatever thing you are wanting to purchase/consume. For example, Frank's Red Hot Original is generally considered to be Whole30 compliant but before you buy or use it, you MUST read the label and make sure that the variation in your hand is compliant. As long as whatever you are considering doesn't have any off-plan ingredients in it, it's good to go. :)

One more question @ladyshanny I don't see much information on the Fruits that can be consumed with the meal can we have fruits like pineapple apple grapes etc with the meal and can I have potato's like grilled or cooked in tomato and onion gravy. also could you suggest me which mayo is complaint with whole30.

Thanks a lot for your help

• Moderators

You can have any fruits. If you look at the meal template, you'll see a serving size for fruit is a closed fist sized serving.  Potatoes are fine, but potato chips or deep fried french fries are not. I don't know what ingredients would be in the gravy you mentioned, but as long as all the ingredients are allowed on Whole30, it's fine to have. For mayo, you can make your own pretty easily (here's one recipe, or another that's super easy if you have an immersion or stick blender), but if you want to buy some, you'll have to go read labels. I'm not sure where you're located so I don't know what options you'll have. I know that Tessemae's and Primal Kitchen both make versions that will work, but they're not always available in stores, and they are definitely more expensive than the usual ones you buy in the grocery store.

If you go here, there's a bunch of downloads, including shopping lists, guides to what additives are okay or not, help for dining out, etc. -- some of them may be helpful to you as you're learning the rules and trying to keep everything straight.

• 2 weeks later...
Melissa Hornsby
Hi,

I am a vegetarian who is gluten -intolerant as well as unable to digest acidic foods and allergic to honeydew melon and cantaloupe.

I know that's a mouth full, but, I'm wondering what are some "on-the-go-foods," I can carry that are whole30 compliant? I am going through my 3rd whole30 and LOVE the life style changes I have found through it and continue to find.

Please help!

• Moderators

@Melissa Hornsby in Jersey do you eat eggs? Hard boiled eggs would be easy to carry with you for protein, or even some egg "muffins" with lots of vegetables. Something like this: http://www.easypaleo.com/my-favorite-egg-muffins/  but you can use any vegetables you want. Shredded potato or sweet potato, kale or spinach, chopped broccoli or cauliflower. 

For extra fat, olives or guacamole. Vegetables could be whatever vegetables you are okay eating cold. Raw carrot sticks, celery, jicama, tomatoes, broccoli. Roasted chunks of potato, sweet potato, turnips, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga. If you have a thermos, soups would work.

Archived