Is this normal?

• Moderators

It's pretty normal to have some changes in digestive stuff, especially if this is a big change from how you were eating before. If you want to list a couple of days of typical meals (with specific vegetables you're eating), we could look and see if anything stands out that you could try changing.

Things that often cause bloating: eating too many nuts/seeds (or stuff made from them, like almond butter or almond milk); eating lots of raw vegetables (cooked ones are much easier to digest); eating lots of cruciferous/brassica vegetables like cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower (these aren't bad for you, but lots of people do find they cause gas and bloating and end up having to limit them somewhat for their own comfort); not drinking enough water.

You don't say how your #2s have changed. If they're different, but it's not really bothering you, just something you've observed, just make sure you're following the meal template and wait and see what happens. You could try adding probiotics, either in pill form or from fermented foods like sauerkraut or kimchi or kombucha. Bone broth is good for all kinds of stuff, and contains collagen and other nutrients that can be good for digestive health, so you could look at adding that -- either drink it, or use it as a base for soups.

If you're not going as often or it's harder to go, drink more water (aim for 1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so a 120-lb person nees at least 60 oz) and make sure you're getting fats at every meal. And don't forget the vegetables -- that's where all your fiber is coming from when you're not getting grains. If you want, you could try adding a magnesium supplement (start with a small dose, not the full dose, and work up) -- Natural Calm Unflavored is compliant, but you can probably find compliant versions in pill form at a health food store.

If it's the opposite -- maybe try having something like mashed potatoes, soup, broth, or bananas to see if it helps. If it's really bad and is keeping you from things you need to do, you could take some imodium, there's no reason to be miserable. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, ctabz58 said:

I start diarrhea last night and again this morning? Is that normal. What should I do, not really hungry but wondering if food is wrong?

It's hard to say if your food is wrong without knowing what you are eating. Please fill in the blanks. Diarrhea isn't "normal" but it's not uncommon to have disrupted stools for the first few days.

Ladyshanny

I have been eating eggs, chicken, turkey, pork, vegetables, mostly soup like foods, the only new thing was the almond milk, unsweetened. Nothing really off program, big difference is no carbs. I am diet controlled diabetic. Sugars are in control.

• Administrators
Just now, ctabz58 said:

Ladyshanny

I have been eating eggs, chicken, turkey, pork, vegetables, mostly soup like foods, the only new thing was the almond milk, unsweetened. Nothing really off program, big difference is no carbs. I am diet controlled diabetic. Sugars are in control.

OK, it's still hard to tell. Foods from the cruciferous family like high amounts of brocoli, cabbage or cauliflower can cause digestive upset. Too many nuts or nut butters can cause you to have loose stools. If you're drinking the almond milk (not recommended), since it's a nut product it could cause the diarrhea. 

If you are not eating enough at meals you could end up with loose stools because there is not enough volume being processed through your digestive system to form a stool. 

As far as "no carbs", if the items you are eating are not animal and not fat then they are carbs. There are only three macronutrients in the world, protein, fat and carbs. All veggies, all fruits are carbs. ;) If you're referring to not eating starchy veggies, that could be part of the problem too as your body may need the starch to help form proper poos.

Really, without actual details on your meals, it's impossible to give more specific, directed feedback.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, ctabz58 said:

breakfast this morning was scrambled eggs with steak pieces about two oz., some potatoes about 1 oz, carrots about 1 oz, and 10 oz coffee with 1/4 c almond milk follow within an hour in the bathroom 

@ctabz58 - the meal template outlines protein to be recommended as 1-2 palm sized servings (the length, width and thickness of your own palm), veggies as several cups (1 minimum, 3+ optimal) and then a fat serving that is 1-2 of your thumb or half to whole avocado or handfuls of olives etc. I have no clue what 1oz of potato and 1oz of carrot works out to but it doesn't sound like very much food to me.

On 1/6/2017 at 11:06 AM, ladyshanny said:

@ctabz58 - the meal template outlines protein to be recommended as 1-2 palm sized servings (the length, width and thickness of your own palm), veggies as several cups (1 minimum, 3+ optimal) and then a fat serving that is 1-2 of your thumb or half to whole avocado or handfuls of olives etc. I have no clue what 1oz of potato and 1oz of carrot works out to but it doesn't sound like very much food to me.

I would agree that this doesn't sound like enough food to me. At least not enough veggies. It Starts With Food also mentions that loose stools are common for people that are new to cooking oils. Are you using EVOO, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc? Maybe you're using too much for your system to handle right now (you'd need to ease into using it). 

Archived